Shrimp teriyaki over rice noodles

Shrimp teriyaki over rice noodles, seafood recipes, shellfish recipes, shrimp recipes, gluten-free recipes, dinner, main dish

Shrimp cooked in teriyaki sauce is a very easy dish to prepare, perfect for someone like me who works full-time and doesn’t have time or energy to engage in lengthy and complicated recipes at the end of the workday.  This recipe uses a bottled teriyaki sauce, which is dressed up quite a bit with quite a few simple additions (available in most pantries), such as lime juice, honey, garlic, just a touch of sesame oil (for flavor), and red chili sauce for spiciness.  Adding these few simple ingredients to a bottled sauce makes it richer, more flavorful, and tasting like it’s home-made.  Adding freshly toasted sesame seeds makes the sauce even more delicious, although you can skip this step (or not) if your bottled sauce already has sesame seeds in it.

Shrimp teriyaki over rice noodles, seafood recipes, shellfish recipes, shrimp recipes, dinner, main dish

The important thing in this recipe is to not over-cook the shrimp.  It doesn’t take much time to cook the shrimp – only a couple of minutes per side in a well pre-heated skillet.  Overcooking can happen very fast which will result in tough and rubbery-like tasting shrimp effectively ruining the dish.  This recipe lists very short times for sauteing the shrimp in the skillet and then cooking it just a little bit more in the sauce.  If the resulting sauce is too thin, use the optional step of mixing 1 teaspoon of cornstarch in 1 tablespoon of hot water and then adding it to the boiling sauce just for a minute, to thicken.  Do not try to reduce the sauce by boiling it down for over a minute or two (along with the shrimp in the skillet) because a) shrimp will toughen up and become rubber-like; b) the sauce is to good to be reduced, just use the cornstarch to thicken it.

Shrimp teriyaki over rice noodles

Shrimp teriyaki over rice noodles

Shrimp teriyaki over rice noodles

• 3/4 cup teriyaki sauce (use gluten-free version* for gluten-free recipe)
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice (or lemon juice)
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon red chili paste [optional] or any other spicy red sauce
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
  • 20-24 shrimp (count), peeled and deveined, with tails still attached (if desired)
  • 1-2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds [optional]
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed in 1 teaspoon of hot water [optional]
  • cooked rice noodles or cooked rice

1. Combine teriyaki sauce, lime (or lemon) juice, minced garlic, honey and sesame oil in a bowl. Stir to combine. You might want to warm honey in a microwave before adding to the sauce to make it softer.
  2. OPTIONAL: At this point, you can also mix in 1 teaspoon of red curry paste if desired.
  3. Place shrimp in a large ziploc bag. Add half of the teriyaki mixture to the bag and secure the top. Toss shrimp in the bag to make sure all shrimp is coated with the sauce. Marinate for about 15 minutes, no longer.
  4. Heat vegetable or olive oil in a large skillet over high heat, add shrimp from the plastic bag (but without the sauce) and cook for 2 minutes, turning once (about 1 minute per side). Add all the sauce (from the bag and from the bowl) into the skillet and continue cooking the shrimp on high heat for 1-2 minutes until the sauce boils and thickens.
  5. OPTIONAL: Mix in toasted sesame seeds into the sauce, in case your teriyaki sauce did not have any or if you want extra.
  6. OPTIONAL: If you want a thicker sauce, at this point dissolve 1 teaspoon of cornstarch in about 1 tablespoon of water. Add this mixture to the boiling sauce in the skillet and stir well while boiling - the skillet sauce should thicken. Do not let the sauce boil for more than about a minute, otherwise the shrimp will become too tough and rubberish.
  7. Cook rice noodles or rice according to package instructions. At this point, you can add rice noodles (or rice) to the sauce in the skillet and stir fry shrimp and the noodles/rice all together in the sauce. Or, you can just use plain cooked rice noodles (or rice) as a bed for shrimp and the sauce. It's up to you. I prefer the latter! :)
  8. Make a bed of the rice noodles (or rice) in individual serving plates. Spoon shrimp and the sauce on top.

Notes

* For gluten-free version, use Gluten-Free Teriyaki Sauce, such as the one produced by Kikkoman.

MY BEST BOARDS ON PINTEREST:

I collect the most popular & repinned recipes on this PINTEREST board:
Follow my PUMPKIN board on Pinterest

It’s a PUMPKIN SEASON! Check out my PUMPKIN board on PINTEREST:
Follow my PUMPKIN board on Pinterest

If you love PASTA, see amazing recipes on my PASTA Board on PINTEREST:
Follow my PASTA board on Pinterest

• Kasia January 17, 2014, 5:43 am

OMG it looks just gorgeous!!

• Angie@Angie's Recipes January 17, 2014, 6:56 am

I want to reach in the screen and grab that bowl of rice noodles with those gorgeous shrimp! It looks absolutely divine!

• Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com January 17, 2014, 8:26 am

These shrimp are just plain lip smacking, drool inducing good!

• Monique January 17, 2014, 9:25 am

We love meals like this Julia..spicy ..sweet..shrimps..

• Barb January 17, 2014, 10:04 am

Just wonderful, Julia! Pinning.

• Nami | Just One Cookbook January 17, 2014, 3:19 pm

This made my mouth water… I love a quick meal that is delicious and easy to make especially on kids’ activity days… I rely on quick meals! As always, your beautiful photos are inspiring me to go to the kitchen!

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen January 17, 2014, 3:25 pm

Gorgeous shrimp dish, Julia! We adore shrimp in this house. In fact, I rely on it and crave it in the spring and summer. I think our New Year’s Eve shrimp cocktail kicks off a craving that just won’t quit and takes me into summer grilling, LOL! Thanks for sharing this easy semi-homemade recipe. Cannot wait to make it! Have a wonderful weekend, my friend. :)

• Coffee and Crumpets January 17, 2014, 4:36 pm

I have to admit, I clicked on your name by accident whilst leaving a comment on another blog, I’m glad I did! I saw your gorgeous photos of the shrimp and couldn’t resist but read and ogle the rest of the post :)
    Simply delicious and wonderful photos!

Nazneen

• Matt @ Runner Savvy January 17, 2014, 7:59 pm

This looks delicious!

• Cate @ Chez CateyLou January 17, 2014, 8:07 pm

At the end of a workday, the last thing I want to do is make something complicated for dinner…this dish is perfect for me! It looks delicious! That sauce seriously looks amazing!

• Sarah & Arkadi January 17, 2014, 8:44 pm

Simple and beautiful dish!

• ela@GrayApron January 18, 2014, 5:06 am

I like sweet and sour sauces…your shrimp look outstanding! Nice and fast dish. Thanks! :) ela

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You January 18, 2014, 8:07 am

Hi, Julia! When I saw this dish on FB, I thought that it was a brilliant, scrumptious idea for busy weekdays which all of us have in our life. I’d love mine with noodles as well. Great job again transforming something simple so delicious!!!

• The Café Sucre Farine January 18, 2014, 12:17 pm

What a lovely and delicious looking dinner Julia. I love shortcuts like this, we all have days when we need a meal in a hurry but we want something really good at the same time.

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen January 18, 2014, 1:49 pm

This is definitely a weeknight meal I would look forward to all day! The shrimp look so wonderfully coated in sauce.

• Consuelo @ Honey & Figs January 18, 2014, 6:02 pm

My mouth is watering at the thought of spicy shrimp. Oh girl, this dish looks so good! I’m loving it! x

• Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes January 18, 2014, 6:39 pm

I can totally see my self devouring an entire…I mean, a moderately portioned plate of this. That teriyaki sauce looks BOMB! Thank you for sharing this recipe Julia!

• Liz January 18, 2014, 8:50 pm

Oh, man, your shrimp looks amazing! Now that my youngest is back at school, I can add shrimp back to our menu. Bill would love this, too.

• cquek January 19, 2014, 2:25 am

Would love to have one of those right now.

• Natasha @ The Cake Merchant January 19, 2014, 11:52 am

This one looks so simple and delicious! Pinning!

• John@Kitchen Riffs January 19, 2014, 12:23 pm

I like teriyaki anything, and shrimp might be the best. Gorgeous looking dish! Good stuff – thanks.

• Beth January 19, 2014, 2:34 pm

This looks terrific! And I love the idea of adding fresh sesame seeds.

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl January 20, 2014, 5:31 pm

This is 100% my type of meal. I don’t have shrimp enough because my other half doesn’t like (I know!) but next dinner that I have free, it’s me and this shrimp!

• Trisha January 21, 2014, 9:39 am

Oo – my boyfriend and I love teriyaki, but I have never made it. I think it’s time… thanks for the recipe! x

• Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods January 21, 2014, 11:41 am

WOW!! I love shrimp, but these pictures make me want to jump right in and grab some of these. I love the sweet/spicy combination and the sesame seeds are a beautiful touch. Love!! Pinning!!

• beti January 22, 2014, 1:08 pm

I just love how shiny and delicious those shrimps look!

• Farah @everylittlecrumb January 22, 2014, 11:40 pm

Julia, great minds think alike! I just published a post with rice noodles (Baked salmon on singapore rice noodles), then I click over to your blog for some eye candy and see this post haha. Of course, after seeing this I now have a craving for shrimp. Beautiful, beautiful photos as usual :)

• Atika January 23, 2014, 10:02 am

Shrimp, rice noodles and teriyaki sauce…yum! This recipe is a keeper :)

• Amy March 31, 2014, 10:48 am

Does this work with already cooked shrimp?

• Ethnic Food June 7, 2014, 12:39 am

Shrimp teriyaki rice noodles are simply scrumptious. I would love to prepare it. thanks for post