Pesto Shrimp with Mushrooms - sautéed shrimp with mushrooms and pesto.
This easy, spicy pesto shrimp recipe has lots of flavor thanks to the ingredient list: pesto, garlic, red pepper flakes, fresh basil. It's gluten free and low carb.
If you want to know how to make the best sautéed, garlic shrimp with lots of flavor - this dish is for you! And, it's so easy!
Pesto Shrimp with Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp , peeled, deveined
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces white mushrooms , sliced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup basil pesto
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil , chopped
- Heat large skillet on medium-high heat until hot. Add olive oil - it should run without sizzling. Add shrimp, season shrimp with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, cook for about 3 minutes, turning once midway, until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Remove shrimp from the skillet.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the same, now empty, skillet. Add sliced mushrooms. Add minced garlic. Season mushrooms with ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms release liquid and reduce in volume and get soft, for about a minute or two. Add back the cooked shrimp. Add ½ cup basil pesto and ½ cup chicken broth. On medium heat, mix everything to combine. Remove from heat.
- When ready to serve, top the shrimp with chopped fresh basil.
- Want to make basil pesto from scratch? Here is a super flavorful and creamy 20-Minute Homemade Basil Pesto Recipe.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Want another delicious shrimp recipe?
Check out this delicious Shrimp Mozzarella Pasta
If you haven’t tried this your wasting time on this earth. Roast the pine nuts, make your own pesto, I grow my own basil. It’s the freshest basil you can get. Made this twice now and both time better than any restaurant I’ve eaten in. Insanely good folks
Mike, I love your enthusiasm! 🙂 And I couldn't agree more - making your own basil pesto is so much better than most store-bought versions!
This just blew my family away. I thought my scampi was really good, but this is next level. I added a tablespoon of butter at the end when reducing down a little. Thanks for heaven
Mike, I am so glad your family loved this! Thank you for such a positive comment and the 5-star review! 🙂
This was so easy and yummy! I had pesto I made in my freezer just waiting for a great recipe, this was it.
Cindy, I am so happy you enjoyed this simple recipe! Thank you for taking the time to comment and the 5-stars! 🙂
I don’t have any mushrooms, anything I can sub?
You can try sun-dried tomatoes.
Oh geez. Enough sodium to choke a mule.
Agree. Must be the pesto? Wonder how to minimize that b/c the recipe looks fabulous otherwise.
Kim, pesto can be quite high in sodium. If you make your own homemade pesto, you can control better how much sodium is added. So, making a homemade pesto is a solution.
Also, you can reduce the amount of ready-made pesto used in this recipe by half or even more.
Sodium is in everything, making your own chicken broth will help tremendously
That’s a lot of salt! Used to have a mule.
This recipe looks great! I will try this tonight!
I hope you love it!
I made this last night. I didn’t know what to fix for dinner and when I found this recipe I knew I had to try it. The smell while cooking was wonderful. But tasting it was heaven. Normally my husband doesn’t say much about dinner. Last night I got a great compliment. Thank you so much.
Barb, your comment made my day! 🙂 Thank you so much for trying this recipe and sharing this wonderful and positive comment!
Amazing! I placed this on hearts of palm spaghetti and didn't miss the carbs one bit! Delicious.
I am so happy to hear it! Thank you for the feedback, Stephanie!
Brenda L Gorham
What did you serve with it?
You can serve this with spaghetti squash or with pasta, such as angel hair pasta, spaghetti, bow tie, or gnocchi.
Seemed the pesto was a bit excessive could be reduced by half or more depending on taste. Will make again with a few tweeks
Scott, you can certainly reduce the amount of basil pesto to your liking. It also depends on how strong the pesto is. I usually use Buitoni brand basil pesto which has a perfect flavor and works well in recipes. Other types of pesto could have a very strong flavor - and you might have to use a smaller amount as a result.
Very good, pesto certainly give pasta dishes that something special
I agree 100%!
Just wanted to say, THIS was GREAT! I made this for dinner last night and my son came back for seconds. He is normally very picky but not with this.
Tonya, I am so happy to hear that! Thank you for stopping by and sharing a positive review - I really appreciate it!!!! 🙂