Cilantro-Lime Black Bean Rice – easy, light, delicious, gluten free side dish.
Jasmine rice with black beans flavored with freshly squeezed lime juice and chopped fresh cilantro. Very refreshing, very light. This side dish will go well with grilled or baked meats (chicken, steak, pork), fish or any kind of seafood. It also works great as a stand alone meatless main course.
Easy, simple ingredients, but what a delicious flavor!
Cilantro-Lime Black Bean Rice - easy, light, delicious, gluten free side dish.
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup Jasmine rice , uncooked, or use any rice that says on the package that it takes 15 minutes to cook it
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice , freshly squeezed (use one 1 tablespoon first, before adding another)
- 15 oz black beans , rinsed, drained, from the can
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Use large, deep skillet or a large sauce pan.
- Add chicken broth, uncooked rice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and minced garlic to the skillet (or pan). Bring to boil. Mix everything well. Reduce the heat to low boil simmer. Cover the skillet with the lid. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, covered, until the rice is cooked through.
- Remove the skillet from heat. Mix in 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lime juice, black beans (rinsed and drained), and fresh cilantro into the cooked rice. Taste, and add more salt and/or another small amount of lime juice (at most 1 extra tablespoon, try adding half of extra tablespoon first).
- Note: I think 2 tablespoons of lime juice (freshly squeezed only!) are just perfect, but the lime flavor might be too strong for some people, so you might use just 1 or 1.5 tablespoon instead of 2 that I used.