Easy apple squares are made with cinnamon and brown sugar. These delicious cake bars are very moist, thanks to the vegetable oil and the plain Greek yogurt.
The apple squares are super easy and quick to prepare on a busy weeknight! If you're bored with making the same apple recipes, such as apple crisp, crumble, or cobbler, try these little apple squares, and you'd be very happy! These apple cake bars work great as both dessert and breakfast. Talking about breakfast, have you tried these apple cinnamon pancakes with shredded apples? Or, maybe you will enjoy this cozy apple crumb coffee cake?
Apple Squares with Cinnamon and Brown Sugar
In this recipe, I am using a generous amount of apples, tossed together with cinnamon and brown sugar, folded in the cake batter and baked in a 9x9 square pan. These apple cake bars are really just a lot of apple chunks held together by a relatively small amount of cake batter. 🙂 After all, the apple dessert recipes should be all about apples, shouldn't they?
The apple squares are very moist, thanks to the vegetable oil and the plain Greek yogurt.
Other apple desserts
If you love all things apple, you will love these quick and easy apple desserts:
Apple Breakfast recipes
What could be better than enjoying a small slice of something sweet with apples in the morning? Here are my favorite apple breakfast recipes:
- Pumpkin Banana Bread with Apples
- Crepes with Ricotta Cheese and Caramelized Apples
- Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- Apple Cinnamon Crepes
Easy Apple Squares (Cake Bars)
- 3 apples peeled, cored, and chopped into small square chunks
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×9 square pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss chopped apples with cinnamon and brown sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, combine together 1 and ¼ cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and ⅛ teaspoon salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup of white sugar, vegetable oil, yogurt, and vanilla until very smooth. Add eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients (flour mixture) into wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the greased pan, top with half of the apples, then pour the remaining half of the batter on top of the apple layer. Top with the remaining half of apples.
- Bake the cake for about 45 minutes or 1 hour - until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Just made them.They are by far the best apple squares ever!
Elena, thank you! So glad you liked them! 🙂
I made these apple squares and they are absolutely delicious. Does anyone know how many calories are in one square?
Can I substituted cake flour? Would it make it taste different?
I made these today for company and they were a huge hit. Plus, the recipe came together really quickly, which is always a bonus when getting ready for guests to arrive. I forgot to put the powdered sugar on, but they were still so delicious. Thank you for the quick and tasty recipe!
Hannah, so glad you liked these apple squares! It always makes my day to read comments like that! Powdered sugar is really only for the decorating purposes, so the recipe would not suffer much if you don't use it! 🙂
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! My family loved it and have been requesting more ever since! Am just making another batch 🙂
So glad you and your family liked these! 🙂 Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment!
Have you ever tried this recipe with other fruits such as blueberries. I think I will try it with blueberries tonight, that's all I have in the house and the weather is terrible out.
Nila, I have not tried these with blueberries, but why not? I should! 🙂
Delicious! I was out of yogurt so used sour cream instead. When I found this recipe I was just thinking.. yea, I'm tired of apple crisp, there has to be something else. Keep up the great recipes 🙂
P :), thank you! I am the same way - I love apple crisp, but want something different with apples, hence I make this recipe and banana breads with apples, etc.
I made these and really love them! I used Gala apples, but next time I want to use Granny Smith. They are so good with coffee or tea. I plan to make them again soon!
Barbara, I am so glad to hear that you liked these apple squares! They are really good with both Gala and Granny Smith. The flavor will be distinctly different if you use sweeter Gala vs. tarter Granny Smiths but equally delicious! Using 2 different types of apples is like 2 different recipes really. 🙂