Easy apple squares are made with cinnamon and brown sugar. These delicious cake bars are very moist, thanks to the vegetable oil and the plain Greek yogurt.
The apple squares are super easy and quick to prepare on a busy weeknight! If you're bored with making the same apple recipes, such as apple crisp, crumble, or cobbler, try these little apple squares, and you'd be very happy! These apple cake bars work great as both dessert and breakfast. Talking about breakfast, have you tried these apple cinnamon pancakes with shredded apples? Or, maybe you will enjoy this cozy apple crumb coffee cake?
Apple Squares with Cinnamon and Brown Sugar
In this recipe, I am using a generous amount of apples, tossed together with cinnamon and brown sugar, folded in the cake batter and baked in a 9x9 square pan. These apple cake bars are really just a lot of apple chunks held together by a relatively small amount of cake batter. 🙂 After all, the apple dessert recipes should be all about apples, shouldn't they?
The apple squares are very moist, thanks to the vegetable oil and the plain Greek yogurt.
Other apple desserts
If you love all things apple, you will love these quick and easy apple desserts:
Apple Breakfast recipes
What could be better than enjoying a small slice of something sweet with apples in the morning? Here are my favorite apple breakfast recipes:
- Pumpkin Banana Bread with Apples
- Crepes with Ricotta Cheese and Caramelized Apples
- Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- Apple Cinnamon Crepes
Easy Apple Squares (Cake Bars)
- 3 apples peeled, cored, and chopped into small square chunks
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×9 square pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss chopped apples with cinnamon and brown sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, combine together 1 and ¼ cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and ⅛ teaspoon salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup of white sugar, vegetable oil, yogurt, and vanilla until very smooth. Add eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients (flour mixture) into wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the greased pan, top with half of the apples, then pour the remaining half of the batter on top of the apple layer. Top with the remaining half of apples.
- Bake the cake for about 45 minutes or 1 hour - until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This was delicious, I did add a sprinkling of brown sugar and chopped walnuts on top before baking.
Mary, glad you enjoyed this recipe. Adding nuts always elevates any dessert!
Can you substitute sour cream for the Greek yogurt?
Geraldine, yes, you can use sour cream.
Does thus freeze well? I'm thinking it would be a great breakfast item for our bnb
Bev, this should freeze really well!
What apple do you recommend for this recipe?
I recommend Gala or Fuji apples. Apples that have a more firm texture.
How would I adjust this recipe for a larger amount for maybe a 9 x 13 cake pan?
Just double this recipe - and it should fit a 9x13 cake pan just fine!
Hi, made today. Very good. Had to sub Greek plain yogurt for Greek black cherry! I was worried squares would be pink!. But, all okay and tasted pretty darn good. TU4 sharing..Pat
Pat, so glad you gave this recipe a try! Flavored Green yogurt works just fine in this recipe - glad you improvised and that cake turned out well.
Can the plain flour be substituted by almond flour?
I've never tried this with almond flour.
Susan D Turner
Do you suppose I could substitute heart Smart Bisquick for a couple of the ingredients?
I haven't tried this with a Bisquick mix, so I am not sure what the result would be. If you do try it, let me know!
I make these all the time you’re around. So easy and yummy.
The best apple recipe on the www. I have been making this for years and all my friends love it.