Sweet Potato Fries, Bacon, Spinach, Egg Salad with mayo-based dressing or Ranch dressing.
Who knew that such simple ingredients as spinach, tomatoes, bacon, and eggs when combined and served with a mayonnaise-based dressing could create such a delicious salad?
The only thing that has always been missing from my salads was the carbs, and in this recipe this problem is fixed by adding sweet potato fries! Not only is this salad delicious, it has everything: protein, healthy carbs, vegetables, fiber, and it’s GLUTEN FREE!
I like to call this a BLT salad with sweet potato fries, because when I usually make BLT sandwiches at home I always use spinach instead of lettuce. So for me, BLT means bacon, spinach, tomatoes.
- Use real bacon, and not premade bacon bits.
- When making the salad dressing, start by adding 2 tablespoons of milk to the mayonnaise but add more milk if desired to get a nice dressing-like consistency. Without adding the milk, the dressing would be too thick.
- Do not add salt to the salad dressing, because the bacon will add enough saltiness to the dish. If you do think you need more salt, add the salt directly into the salad AFTER you mix the salad with the dressing.
- Add the dressing just before serving, otherwise the salad will wilt.
- Make the mayo-based dressing as described in the recipe or just use a store-bought Ranch dressing.
It’s a great year-around salad – enjoy!
Sweet Potato Fries, Bacon, Spinach, Egg Salad with mayo-based dressing or Ranch Dressing. This salad has everything: protein, healthy carbs, vegetables, fiber, and it's GLUTEN FREE!
- 1 sweet potato , very large
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups spinach
- 2 tomatoes , sliced
- 2 eggs , hard-boiled, sliced
- 8 strips bacon , cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk or more
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Peel the potato, slice in thin strips. In a large bowl, toss with spices and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Spread in one layer on aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
Bake in the upper rack of the oven for about 20 minutes. Remove and let cool on wire rack.
In a large salad bowl, combine spinach, sliced tomatoes, chopped bacon, sliced eggs, sweet potato fries. Whisk mayonnaise, milk and lemon juice in a small bowl. Add freshly ground pepper to the dressing, to taste. Sprinkle the dressing over the salad (you don't have to use all of it, just use as much as you prefer) and mix.
Or, alternatively, layer the salad by layering spinach leaves as a first layer, then adding sliced tomatoes, chopped bacon, sliced eggs, and sweet potato fries in little separate sections on top. Sprinkle with some of the salad dressing and serve with the remaining salad dressing on the side
Another way to serve this salad is to mix all salad ingredients, except for sweet potato fries, with the dressing, then add sweet potato fries on top of the salad.