This healthy Mediterranean Chickpea Salad with Avocado, Tomato, Cucumber is vegan and gluten-free! Low in fat and high in protein. Quick and easy to make. Delicious Spring/Summer chickpea salad that uses lots of fresh vegetables.
Why you will love this salad
- This beautiful, vibrant chickpea salad has Greek and Mediterranean influences. It’s made with fresh vegetables. The salad dressing is very simple: olive oil combined with lemon juice.
- The chickpeas (same thing as garbanzo beans) provide protein to this recipe.
- It’s gluten-free, vegan, low in fat and healthy.
- The simplest of recipes are the best! It takes only 20 minutes to make it.
This vegetarian chickpea salad reminds me of my other favorite: tomato cucumber avocado salad. Both salads are packed with fresh veggies and healthy ingredients.
If you want to pair it with a delicious gluten-free main course, try my chicken with sun-dried tomatoes. If you crave a meal with more carbs, you will be impressed with these easy Italian ravioli. But, what’s amazing about this meatless chickpea salad is that you don’t even need a main course. This salad will keep you full thanks to the protein in chickpeas.
It’s a perfect Spring/Summer recipe. Take a look at the chickpea salad: so vibrant and colorful! A great way to enjoy lots of healthy vegetables. Perfect for picnics, potlucks, and barbecues. It stores well, refrigerated, up to 3 days.
Make this chickpea salad spicy by adding red pepper flakes and/or minced garlic!
- Use any kind of fresh tomatoes. Roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, or grape tomatoes will all work!
- Use fresh herbs of your choice. Basil, parsley, cilantro.
- Don’t have red onions? Use chopped green onions. Or yellow/white onions. You can even add a small amount of minced garlic!
- Add olives or capers. They add even more Mediterranean touch to the chickpea salad.
- Add marinated artichokes.
- Use Feta cheese.
- Make the chickpea salad spicy by adding red pepper flakes or a touch of Cayenne pepper!
Chickpea salad ingredients
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained (15 oz)
The simple dressing is made with olive oil and lemon juice tossed with chopped fresh herbs, salt, and pepper!
Salad dressing ingredients:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, fresh, chopped
- salt and pepper
Easy to make:
In a medium bowl, stir together olive oil, lemon juice, chopped fresh parsley, and chopped fresh basil.
How to make chickpea salad
- In a large bowl combine diced tomatoes, diced cucumber, sliced red onions, and drained chickpeas. Add diced avocado.
- In a medium bowl, prepare a simple salad dressing. Combine olive oil with lemon juice, and chopped fresh herbs (basil and parsley).
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss gently. Season with salt and pepper.
Other Mediterranean salads
Recommended Main Courses
- Garlic Lamb Loin Chops
- Lamb Chops with Mustard-Thyme Sauce
- Pesto Chicken and Veggies
- Tomato Basil Artichoke Baked Chicken
Simple Chickpea Salad with Avocado, Tomato, and Cucumber. This healthy Mediterranean salad is packed with protein, low in fat, is vegan and gluten-free. Colorful, vibrant, with lots of veggies!
- 2 tomatoes medium, diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 cucumber diced
- 1/4 cup red onion sliced
- 15 oz chickpeas from the can, drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup parsley fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil fresh, chopped
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl combine salad ingredients: diced avocado, diced tomatoes, diced cucumber, sliced red onions, and drained chickpeas.
- In a medium bowl, combine salad dressing ingredients: olive oil, lemon juice, chopped fresh parsley, and basil. Stir to combine.
Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.