Creamy Butternut Squash and Spinach Tortellini – perfect holiday recipe for Christmas or Thanksgiving. It will work great as a holiday side dish or main dish. Or, if you love butternut squash, you can make it anytime of year!
You will love the flavorful creamy sauce prepared with freshly made butternut squash puree and spiced up with lemon pepper, nutmeg and paprika! It makes this Creamy Butternut Squash and Spinach Tortellini very special.
This is one of those truly seasonal recipes – perfect in the Fall and in the Winter when the fresh butternut squash abounds! This dish is great on its own, as a meatless entree, it’s also great with grilled chicken.
If you like this butternut squash and spinach tortellini, you might enjoy these recipes:
This is a great recipe to make during the holidays (Christmas or Thanksgiving). Easy and healthy holiday side dish or main dish. Butternut Squash and Spinach Tortellini in a creamy sauce.
- 1 cup butternut squash puree
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 cups tortellini uncooked
- 8 oz spinach , uncooked, fresh
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Add 1 cup of butternut squash puree, 1 cup of half and half, 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, a pinch of paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the large skillet, on medium heat. While heating, stir all the ingredients to combine. Add about 1/4 teaspoon of lemon pepper seasoning - don't add all of it at once, add a little and add more, to your taste. Add the spinach on top of the mixture, cover with the lid, remove from heat. Let the spinach wilt in the pan, covered, off heat.
- While the spinach wilts, bring the medium pan of water to boil, add 2 cups of uncooked tortellini, and cook according to the package instructions (usually 7 - 10 minutes in boiling water). Once the tortellini is cooked, drain the water.
- Add cooked and drained tortellini to the skillet with the butternut squash sauce and spinach and stir to combine. If the sauce is too thick, add more half and half to thin it. Also, taste and add more salt, nutmeg and lemon pepper, if desired.
- Serve topped with chopped fresh parsley.
WHAT IS HALF AND HALF? Half and half is the US milk product that combines half milk half cream to form a lighter cream.
To make 1 cup of half and half, combine 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup regular cream (heavy, or whipping cream).
Want another delicious butternut squash recipe?