One-pan baked Italian Chicken and Vegetables - easy and healthy family weeknight dinner. Ready in less than 1 hour. Only 10 minutes of prep, and 30 minutes to bake. Chicken Breasts are seasoned with basil and topped with veggies: artichokes, tomatoes, zucchini. Bake this Italian chicken in the casserole dish topped with the Mozzarella cheese.
I love using artichokes - they work so well in dinner recipes. I use them for Italian ravioli or to make artichoke chicken bake. My favorite recipes always involve lots of veggies. This simple weeknight meal is no exception.
Baked Italian Chicken
- This is a one-pot recipe. Just combine all the ingredients in one pan (casserole dish) and bake it in the oven!
- 30 minutes of total baking time. Quick and easy!
- This recipe will keep you full and satisfied. It has protein (chicken), fiber (veggies), and fat (cheese).
- The chicken is smothered with fresh tomatoes, artichokes, and fresh zucchini! That makes the chicken meat juicy and tender!
- The Italian Chicken Bake is healthy, gluten-free, and low-carb! The vegetables make this dish colorful and packed with nutrients.
- The clean-up is a breeze! This weeknight dinner requires only one pot.
Tips and Tricks
- Use skinless boneless chicken breasts or skinless boneless chicken thighs.
- Use cooked bacon or prosciutto. Or, you can skip it altogether. Bacon is optional in this recipe.
- Use shredded Mozzarella cheese or shredded Parmesan cheese.
This Italian chicken is highly adaptable. Use any vegetables you have in the fridge. Use green beans, cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, asparagus, shredded carrots, finely chopped broccoli. Or, stick with the veggies that I use: cherry tomatoes, zucchini, artichokes.
What to serve with the baked Italian chicken?
- Serve a healthy tomato cucumber avocado salad or comforting cheese tortellini.
- Do you want something completely over the top? Then, serve this dish with one of my favorites: sun-dried tomato pasta.
- Prefer to serve grains? Serve this weeknight meal with cilantro lime and black bean rice or sun-dried tomato and basil rice.
- If you don't want to serve rice with the Italian chicken, try this delicious spinach quinoa side dish.
How to make Italian chicken
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Add chicken breasts to the white casserole pan. Season with dried basil and salt.
3. Top with sliced zucchini.
4. Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and sliced artichokes.
5. Top with chopped bacon.
6. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake for about 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat.
8. Let the chicken rest for at least 10-15 minutes to allow the meat to cook through completely.
If you enjoy this one pan Italian chicken recipe, then try bacon cream cheese chicken or easy pesto chicken bake.
Baked Italian Chicken and Vegetables
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon basil , dried
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 zucchini , sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , yellow and red, mixed, each sliced in half
- ½ can artichoke hearts , sliced
- 6 slices bacon , cooked, drained, chopped (OPTIONAL)
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese , shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Add chicken breasts to the white casserole pan.
- Sprinkle dried basil and salt over the chicken.
- Top with sliced zucchini, sliced cherry tomatoes, and sliced artichokes.
- Top with chopped bacon.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven.
- Let the Italian chicken sit in the casserole dish for at least 10-15 minutes to allow the meat to cook through completely.
- Use regular chicken breasts or half each chicken breast in half. The total baking time should be about 20-30 minutes. It will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
- Reheat the leftovers in the preheated oven at 350 F for about 20 minutes. Or, reheat in the microwave oven for 1 minute.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
My new favorite chicken recipe! Very fast and easy, versatile, and a pretty presentation. I added sliced mushrooms and a few more spices...garlic powder, pepper, and more basil. Also, on my portion added a dash of aged balsamic vinegar before serving. I love that it is so versatile. Wonderful, thanks!
Mary Ann, thank you for your enthusiastic comment - it made my day! 🙂 I love the addition of mushrooms and a sprinkle of aged balsamic vinegar - delish! ❤️
This has become a regular for our weekday dinners. I find the veggies bring in enough flavor to carry the dish and it’s so easy too!
Cari, I am so glad you loved this recipe! 🙂 Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for the 5-star review!
Cooking this now thankyou
Kay, I hope you loved it! 🙂
This is so easy and my boys love it. Thank you! We’ve made it several times and I just searched up the recipe to make it again.
Jennifer, I am so happy you've made this recipe several times. Thank you for taking the time to comment - I always love reading the feedback!
It seems very bland. What would you add to give more flavor?
I thought the same and poured some marinara sauce on the chicken before adding the vegetables. Turned out pretty good.
Chelsea, love the addition of marinara sauce - so delicious!
Instead of dried basil, I used pesto sauce…. So good!
Michelle, that sounds so good!
Try adding cajun spice or maybe basil pesto or sun-dried tomato pesto.
This recipe is screaming for garlic! You could also add some onions (roughly chopped) and season the veggies with some additional italian herbs. That’s what I did and it turned out great.
Maren, I love the addition of garlic - that sounds delicious! Glad you enjoyed the recipe! 🙂
I put some garlic powder onion powder salt pepper, added all the veggies to a bowl with a large spoon full of garlic added olive oil and a splash of balsamic and it was amazing
Kristina, so glad you enjoyed this recipe. Love the addition of balsamic - so decadent! 🙂
White meat chicken came out a bit dry for my taste. How long would recommend cooking boneless chicken thighs?
Genna, I would cook them until they are cooked through - probably about the same time as listed in the recipe.
I love this recipe! I’ve made it twice and both times added red onion and balsamic. I’ve served it with gnocchi and with rice and both are delicious, highly recommend!
Latisha, thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your feedback! Your additions and side dishes sound delicious!
This turned out great and was so easy and quick to prepare. Perfect for a quick weeknight meal. I think next time we may sprinkle some red pepper flakes. My family likes a little extra kick. Or maybe a a drizzle of balsamic glaze when you serve it?
Melanie, I am glad you gave this recipe a try and liked it! 🙂 Yes, sprinkling some red pepper flakes on top always adds nice flavor in my book. Adding a drizzle of balsamic glaze is very Italian and will work great with these ingredients!
I love this recipe. I enjoy all the ingredients that give this recipe so much flavor. I did substitute the cherry tomatoes with diced tomatoes with green chilies and I used Mexican cheese. I also left out the artichoke hearts but the recipe was still awesome.
Raven, I am so glad you've enjoyed this recipe! Your substitutions sound delicious!
My husband and I loved this dish!
I'll definitely be making this again. I used chicken that was cut in chunks for a stir fry, because it needed to be used. Seasoned it and layered it in the bottom of the dish and layered the other ingredients as listed. Used Italian season because I was out of basil. Such a nice change of pace. And fits our low carb life perfectly. Paired it with a caesar salad kit.
Lydia, I love your creativity - using this recipe over the chicken that was cut in chunks. So glad you found this recipe helpful for your low-carb needs!
SOOO Delicious!! My picky teen and 9-yr old both asked me to make this again before they were even done eating!! Thank you for an easy, healthy recipe!! We paired with some instant pot mashed potatoes from The Salty Marshmallow: https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/instant-pot-mashed-potatoes/
Melissa, I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe! Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to share such a positive comment and a 5-star review - I appreciate it! 🙂