Asparagus with Blue Cheese and Bacon is a tasty side dish that will go well with any main course. This simple, oven-roasted veggie recipe is low-carb, gluten-free, and keto-friendly.
Asparagus with Blue Cheese - a flavor burst!
What I love about this recipe is that it's so simple. All you have to do to prep the asparagus is to drizzle it with olive oil, sprinkle it with freshly minced garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Roast it for 15 minutes in the oven. Then, top it with crumbled Blue cheese, chopped cooked bacon, and put it back in the oven for 5 more minutes to melt the cheese. That's it! The dish is ready, and it's bursting with flavor!
This is a low-carb and keto-friendly recipe. It will go beautifully with many types of grilled meats, such as steak, chicken, or lamb. It will also pair well with chicken bakes and other meats roasted in the oven. Try this asparagus with broccoli bacon cheddar chicken or smothered chicken with creamed spinach, bacon, mushrooms.
Ingredients you need
- Asparagus is a star ingredient here. This tasty and healthy vegetable is high in fiber and is an excellent source of calcium, magnesium, and zinc. It's also rich in vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin K.
- Blue Cheese adds bold flavor and creaminess. I recommend using a crumbled type of blue cheese (not creamy type). It will be easier to sprinkle the crumbled blue cheese over asparagus.
- Olive Oil adds flavor and helps asparagus acquire a nice texture when roasted in the oven.
- Garlic - use a generous amount to add flavor to the asparagus.
- Bacon when combined with Blue cheese adds an incredible smoky flavor. Please note that this recipe requires cooked bacon (NOT RAW). Pre-cook your bacon in advance. The best and the least messy way to cook the bacon is to preheat the oven to 350 F, line the baking sheet with aluminum foil, add bacon in a single layer, and cook it in the preheated oven at 350 F for about 20 minutes until done. Drain the fat off, and chop it.
What kind of blue cheese to use and how much
I prefer to use crumbly or firm Blue cheese vs creamier type. You can also use Gorgonzola cheese. Crumbly blue cheese will be easier to, well, crumble, and sprinkle over the asparagus. Use 1 cup of blue cheese (4 ounces, or about 115 grams). If you prefer your asparagus more cheesy, feel free to increase the amount of cheese by an additional ½ cup or double the amount of cheese.
How to roast asparagus in the oven - step-by-step photos
First, preheat the oven to 400 F. Trim the dry ends of the asparagus. Place asparagus in a medium-size baking dish.
Drizzle the asparagus with 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper, top with minced garlic.
Roast the asparagus, uncovered, for 15 minutes in the preheated oven at 400 F. Remove from the oven. The asparagus is almost done at this point.
Add crumbled blue cheese.
Next, add chopped cooked bacon.
Roast for 5 more minutes, uncovered at 400 F, to melt the cheese and warm up the bacon. Serve the asparagus immediately while the blue cheese is freshly melted!
Main courses to serve with roasted asparagus
Here are some easy-to-make and low-carb main courses that will pair well with this side dish:
- Hasselback Chicken is made with spinach, bacon, and 3 kinds of cheese (Parmesan, Mozzarella, Cream Cheese).
- Bacon and Cream Cheese Cheddar Chicken Bake is a low-carb, high-protein, keto dinner - a perfect match for asparagus with blue cheese!
- Cajun Chicken Bake with Bell Peppers is made with homemade Cajun seasoning and topped with cream cheese.
Other asparagus recipes
Here are a few more delicious ideas:
- Ham and Cheese Asparagus - this dish doubles as both a side dish and the main course!
- Cheesy Baked Asparagus with Gruyere cheese, Garlic, and Bacon
- Asiago Cheese Asparagus with Bacon - a perfect side dish for all kinds of meat and fish.
Asparagus with Blue Cheese and Bacon
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup Blue cheese
- 5 slices bacon (cooked and chopped)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Trim asparagus ends. Place asparagus in a medium-size baking dish, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Top with minced garlic.
- Roast, uncovered, in the preheated oven at 400 F for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Add Blue cheese all over asparagus. Then, add chopped cooked bacon.
- Roast for 5 more minutes, uncovered, at 400 F. Serve immediately while the cheese is nice and melty!
- Step-by-step photos are provided above the recipe card. They are very helpful in making this already easy recipe.
- Pre-prepare the ingredients. Cook bacon in advance, drain it and chop it. Chop or mince fresh garlic. Shred the cheese.
- Do not overcook the asparagus. Roast the asparagus for no more than a total of 20 minutes. Make sure the oven is preheated to 400 F. Add the cheese and cooked bacon only during the last 5 minutes.
- Storage. Refrigerate this side dish in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- How to reheat. Reheat it briefly in the microwave oven to melt the cheese. Or, bake it briefly in a regular oven right before serving.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.