Spicy and Creamy Cajun Chicken with Bell Peppers - easy, lean, and healthy one-pan dinner! The chicken breasts are coated with the homemade Cajun seasoning and topped with cream cheese. Then, the chicken is oven-baked on top of the sliced bell peppers. A gluten-free and low-carb recipe that will become a family favorite!
This spicy and creamy Cajun chicken bake is great both for lunch and dinner. The flavors in this quick and easy recipe are out of this world! Just like spicy Cajun shrimp.
Moist and juicy chicken breasts are smothered with cream cheese and topped with bell peppers. Similar to this simple broccoli cheddar chicken. And the best part? This one-pot dinner is done in under 45 minutes. Including the prep and the baking time. Everything is cooked in one pan, so the clean-up is minimal.
- There are many Cajun dishes out there, but this one is special. It's a creamy Cajun chicken. The creaminess comes from the cream cheese and cheddar cheese.
- The chicken itself is bursting with spicy, smoky and savory flavors.
- The homemade Cajun spice is made with paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, and minced garlic.
Serve Cajun chicken with:
- Cilantro-lime and black bean rice.
- Plain red beans or plain black beans.
- Roasted green beans and roasted bell peppers.
- Oven-roasted sliced potatoes with garlic.
- Use skinless boneless chicken breasts or skinless boneless chicken thighs.
- Use small bell peppers or mini sweet peppers. Use 2 different colors, such as red and yellow. The recipe does not need a lot of sliced bell peppers. Add just enough bell peppers to cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Make your own homemade Cajun spice or use a store-bought seasoning.
How to make Cajun seasoning
Combine these spices in a medium bowl and mix them together:
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
How to make Cajun chicken
Below are step-by-step photos.
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Place thinly sliced bell peppers on the bottom of the casserole dish.
3. Place chicken breasts on top so that the peppers will cook underneath the chicken.
4. Generously sprinkle Cajun seasoning all over the chicken breasts.
5. Sprinkle the chicken with minced garlic.
6. Top each chicken breast with 2 slices of cream cheese.
7. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
8. Bake the chicken uncovered at 375 F in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
9. Broil for 2 minutes, if desired.
10. To serve this baked Cajun chicken dinner, scoop the bell peppers from underneath the chicken. Place them around the chicken and on top.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
Cajun Chicken with Bell Peppers
How to make Cajun chicken seasoning
- Combine all seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place thinly sliced bell peppers on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Place chicken breasts on top (so that the peppers will cook underneath the chicken).
- Generously sprinkle Cajun seasoning all over the chicken breasts. You don't have to use all the seasoning. Top with minced garlic.
- Top each chicken breast with 2 slices of cream cheese.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake the chicken uncovered at 375 F in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Broil for 2 minutes, if desired.
- To serve, scoop the bell peppers from underneath the chicken. Place them evenly around the chicken and on top.
- The cooking time depends on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
- Store leftovers in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.