Creamy red wine mushroom sauce made by sautéing mushrooms in olive oil, then cooking them in red wine, and finally adding cream. Rich, luscious, velvety texture. So easy to make - only 30 minutes from start to finish! Gluten-free and low-carb recipe. Simple mushroom sauce just like what you would order in the best steakhouse - perfect for grilled meats, such as steak, pork, chicken.
Look at those beautiful oyster mushrooms on the photo above! I just love all types of mushrooms and use them in a lot of my recipes. I've made shiitake mushroom soup, creamy mushroom pasta with caramelized onions and spinach, mushroom pizza with vegetables, mushroom ravioli, and many other dishes that have not yet made it to my site.
But what I especially like about mushrooms is that they work great to make all kinds of mushroom sauces for steaks, pork chops, chicken, duck, etc. This recipe is one of those easy and delectable side dishes: creamy red wine mushroom sauce.
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Mushrooms are low-carb.
- This recipe uses dry red wine which has a low carb content.
- Heavy cream has low-carb, high-fat content.
- The mushroom sauce is gluten-free, it has no gluten, go grains.
This creamy red wine mushroom sauce is one of my favorite ways to serve mushrooms alongside grilled steak, veal chops, and other meats. Here, I just happened to have oyster mushrooms, which is what you see on the photos, but this recipe also works great with regular white (button) mushrooms.
Mushroom sauce ingredients
- oyster mushrooms or white button mushrooms
- olive oil
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
How to make mushroom sauce
What's great about this recipe is that you can stop at any of the 3 steps below and serve these mushrooms in 3 different ways:
1) Heat olive oil in a large skillet, add oyster mushrooms or white button mushrooms. Cook on high heat for about 4 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. You can actually stop right here and use it as-is as your side dish. Your mushrooms will look wonderfully delicious like this:
2) Or you can continue and add ½ cup of red wine, close the lid and let the mushrooms and wine simmer for about 10 minutes covered until the wine is not red any more and becomes brown in color and infused with wonderful mushrooms flavors. You can stop cooking right here and use this as a sauce, it's yummy and will look like this:
3) Or you can continue and add heavy cream, stir well, and cook on low for 2 minutes to infuse flavors, season with salt and pepper, and there you have your mushroom cream sauce, which is super delicious:
Creamy red wine mushroom sauce recipe
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, add oyster mushrooms. Cook on high heat for about 4 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. You can actually stop right here and use it as-is as your side dish.
- Or you can continue and add ½ cup of wine, close the lid and let mushrooms and wine simmer for about 10 minutes covered until wine is not red any more and becomes brown in color and infused with wonderful mushrooms flavors.
- Add heavy cream, stir well, and cook on low for 2 minutes to infuse flavors. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.