Gruyères is a medieval town at the top of the hill overlooking the Saane valley in Switzerland. If you love Gruyère cheese, visiting this medieval town with a historic castle is a MUST! Discover the Best 5 Things To Do in Gruyères, Switzerland!
One of the most interesting little towns in Switzerland, Gruyères also gives its name to the famous Gruyère cheese.
Surrounded by a stunning panorama of the Alpine foothills, Gruyères is a beautiful medieval town with cobbled streets and local restaurants offering traditional dishes with Gruyère cheese. The historic castle dating back to the 13th-century towers above the town. The surrounding countryside is equally beautiful.
- Gruyères is a small town located in the valley of the Saane (or Sarine) river in Switzerland.
- The town’s elevation is 810 meters (2,660 feet). Gruyères is located at the top of the hill, overlooking the Saane valley. The town is located among the green pre-Alpine foothills.
- The Gruyère cheese is named after this town.
- The Castle of Gruyères overlooks this medieval town and the upper Saanen valley. The hilltop castle was built between 1270 and 1282 and belonged to the Counts of Gruyere.
Best 5 Things To Do in Gruyères
1. Taste Gruyère cheese
Gruyères is a rural town specializing in producing raw materials for cheese production, particularly, the Gruyère cheese.
Make sure you stop at one of the restaurants in town to taste Gruyère cheese fondue and other traditional dishes with Gruyère cheese.
2. Gruyères Castle
The Castle of Gruyères overlooks this medieval town. The hilltop castle dates back to the 13th century and was built by the Count of Gruyere to oversee the upper Saanen valley. The castle overlooks an amazing landscape and offers a spectacular view of the Alpine foothills.
3. HR Giger Museum
Saint-Germain Castle currently houses the HR Giger Museum. The work of H. R. Giger (Swiss painter, sculptor, set designer, and film director) is on permanent display at the H.R. Giger Museum.
4. Explore medieval town
Surrounded by a stunning panorama of the Alpine foothills, Gruyères is a beautiful medieval town with cobbled streets, local restaurants, with the historic castle towering above the town.
5. Explore the valley and nearby countryside
Explore the nearby beautiful countryside and enjoy stunning views. The area surrounding the town of Gruyères offers gorgeous scenery. It’s a perfect place for taking a leisurely car drive around the area.