Greek yogurt mashed potatoes – delicious side dish for grilled meats. Gluten free recipe.
Deliciously creamy Greek yogurt mashed potatoes is my new favorite, healthier recipe for mashed potatoes! No milk or half-and-half are used, just Greek yogurt, some butter, and water from boiling the potatoes. A smaller amount of butter is used for these mashed potatoes than usual, since we are using Greek yogurt to add creaminess. Greek yogurt adds a nice “tang” to the potatoes, and chopped green onions as garnish on top are perfect!
I love to serve these Greek mashed potatoes with grilled meats along with Oven-Roasted Asparagus with Bacon, Garlic, and Asiago cheese , or Garlic and Bacon Green Beans, or Asiago Roasted Broccoli.
This recipe is gluten free, and will make a nice side dish to just about anything!
Creamy Greek yogurt mashed potatoes - healthier recipe for mashed potatoes because less butter is use than usual! Also, no milk or half-and-half are used, just Greek yogurt, some butter, and water from boiling the potatoes. Greek yogurt adds a nice "tang" to the potatoes.
- 1 lb russet potatoes , peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup boiling water from the pan with cooked potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt , to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter , to melt on top
- 4 green onions , finely chopped
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks). Cook for about 30 minutes until potatoes are fork tender. Remove from heat.
- Using a deep slotted spoon, move the potatoes from the pan with hot water into a large bowl. Reserve some of the cooked potato water.
- Using a potato masher, mash them slightly. Then, melt 3 or 4 tablespoons of butter and add to the potatoes, continuing to mash. Add 1/4 cup of hot water from boiling the potatoes to the mashed potatoes, continuing to mash. Add 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt, continuing to mash. Season with salt and pepper.
Garnish Greek yogurt mashed potaotes with extra melted butter on top and finely chopped green onions.