Crepes stuffed with creamy chicken and mushroom filling - these crepes are made from scratch, and the savory filling makes them a perfect dinner!
I once had delicious crepes with creamy chicken and mushroom filling in a small French bakery, and they were so good, I've craved them ever since and always wanted to reproduce them. This is my attempt to do so - and I am very happy with the result!
What makes this crepe filling especially flavorful is adding a little bit of chicken bouillon cube to the sauce. Add just enough to make the white creamy sauce flavorful, but without creating an overwhelming chicken flavor.
I don't like complicated recipes, and this recipe is no exception - the chicken and mushroom crepe filling is very simple to make, yet delicious and sophisticated in flavor! I so much enjoyed the creamy Portobello and chicken combination that I will definitely use it in some other dish, such as pasta.
Crepes with Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Portobello mushrooms , sliced
- 1 cup chicken , cooked or grilled, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter , unsalted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese , shredded
- ½ chicken bouillon cube or more, to taste
- salt to taste
- chopped green onions or chives for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add sliced Portobello mushrooms, sprinkle with salt, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring and tossing mushrooms until they get soft and release juices. Add cooked chicken, stir with mushrooms for 1-2 minutes to warm it up. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and keep covered.
- In a medium pan or a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, add 2 tablespoons of flour, cook and stir for about 1 minute to form a roux.
- Pour milk into the hot flour-butter mixture gradually, while whisking. Continue cooking the mixture, constantly stirring, on medium or high heat until the mixture bubbles and thickens – about 1 or 2 minutes. Add ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, Parmesan cheese, and gradually add ¼ or ½ of chicken bouillon cube, to taste. Don't add a whole cube right away, just add enough to make the sauce flavorful.
- Add the white creamy sauce to the mushroom-chicken mixture. You don't need to add all of the white sauce to the mushrooms - add just enough to coat the mushrooms and chicken. You can always add more white sauce if needed. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- There are 2 ways to fill the crepes. Place some of the mushroom mixture in the center of the crepe vertically in a shape of a thick line, then fold two opposite sides of the crepe inwards - like you see on the photos. Or, place some of the mushroom mixture on half of the crepe, then fold the other remaining half of the crepe over on top.
- Sprinkle the top of crepes with chopped green onions or chives.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Loved the recipe substituted Italiano mixed shredded cheese for the Parmesan it’s what I had , would do it again.
Only problem by the time I made enough crepes the first were cold and the filling got cold quickly In the ones I assembled.
Next time I would maybe make the crepes in advance and fill and then rewarm in the oven before serving.
These were so good and I loved the crepes, they were so easy to make, and by far the best that I have made yet. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.
Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful recipe. I made these crepes yesterday for lunch. My mum who has traveled all over the world said these were the best crepes ever. That was not just to please me either. Well done and thanks again. Kind regards Kerry.
Your comment made my day! What a compliment! So happy to hear you enjoyed this recipe. And, thank you for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful comment.
Desperately looked for this recipe.
Meny thanks..it's perfect
Glad you've enjoyed this recipe!
By 1/2 chicken bouillon cube are you meant to add as the powder or dissolve in water first?
No, add 1/4 or 1/2 of chicken bouillon cube to the milk mixture - the milk mixture will be hot, so just stir the cube and it will dissolve.
I would love to make these crepe's for my annual ladies Christmas luncheon on Dec. 15, 2018.
I always look for the best way to prepare my meal so I can spend as much time as possible with my guests. Can these be made ahead and perhaps somehow warmed up the morning of the luncheon? I do not like to reheat in microwave as I find it tends to make "rubber" of the chicken. Can you advise me.
Thank you for your help
Yes, you can definitely make these a day ahead. What I would advise is to make a little bit of extra sauce, add the extra creamy sauce to the bottom of the oven-proof casserole dish (or wide baking dish). Then, layer crepes stuffed with the chicken and mushroom filling one-by-one on the bottom of the casserole dish (or wide baking dish). Cover air-tight and refrigerate. The next day, remove the pan with the stuffed crepes from the refrigerator, let it sit at room temperature for an hour. Then reheat in the oven at 350 F for about 20 minutes.
Can you use arrowroot instead of flour as the thickening agent? I need to keep it gluten free.
Can I make this dish and freeze it???
You can try freezing these crepes. I would reheat these in the oven for best results.
I made these for our anniversary dinner last night and they were great! I used frozen mushrooms and you wouldn't know the difference. My only criticism is with the cream sauce. I didn't like that there was about twice as much as I needed, and now I need to find a use for the rest.
Thank you, Kristen! I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe! I like lots of sauce. 🙂 You can use the rest of the sauce to mix with extra mushrooms and then pour it on top of stuffed crepes.
So good! Thank you for posting this.
You're very welcome! So happy you enjoyed this recipe! 🙂
I'm making these for Mother's day! How would you suggest re-heating it? How long at what temp?
You can place the stuffed crepes tightly next to each other in a medium-size casserole dish and reheat at 350 F in the oven for about 20 minutes.