Crepes stuffed with creamy chicken and mushroom filling - these crepes are made from scratch, and the savory filling makes them a perfect dinner!
I once had delicious crepes with creamy chicken and mushroom filling in a small French bakery, and they were so good, I've craved them ever since and always wanted to reproduce them. This is my attempt to do so - and I am very happy with the result!
What makes this crepe filling especially flavorful is adding a little bit of chicken bouillon cube to the sauce. Add just enough to make the white creamy sauce flavorful, but without creating an overwhelming chicken flavor.
I don't like complicated recipes, and this recipe is no exception - the chicken and mushroom crepe filling is very simple to make, yet delicious and sophisticated in flavor! I so much enjoyed the creamy Portobello and chicken combination that I will definitely use it in some other dish, such as pasta.
Crepes with Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Portobello mushrooms , sliced
- 1 cup chicken , cooked or grilled, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter , unsalted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese , shredded
- ½ chicken bouillon cube or more, to taste
- salt to taste
- chopped green onions or chives for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add sliced Portobello mushrooms, sprinkle with salt, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring and tossing mushrooms until they get soft and release juices. Add cooked chicken, stir with mushrooms for 1-2 minutes to warm it up. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and keep covered.
- In a medium pan or a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, add 2 tablespoons of flour, cook and stir for about 1 minute to form a roux.
- Pour milk into the hot flour-butter mixture gradually, while whisking. Continue cooking the mixture, constantly stirring, on medium or high heat until the mixture bubbles and thickens – about 1 or 2 minutes. Add ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, Parmesan cheese, and gradually add ¼ or ½ of chicken bouillon cube, to taste. Don't add a whole cube right away, just add enough to make the sauce flavorful.
- Add the white creamy sauce to the mushroom-chicken mixture. You don't need to add all of the white sauce to the mushrooms - add just enough to coat the mushrooms and chicken. You can always add more white sauce if needed. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- There are 2 ways to fill the crepes. Place some of the mushroom mixture in the center of the crepe vertically in a shape of a thick line, then fold two opposite sides of the crepe inwards - like you see on the photos. Or, place some of the mushroom mixture on half of the crepe, then fold the other remaining half of the crepe over on top.
- Sprinkle the top of crepes with chopped green onions or chives.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.