Blackberry tart topped with toasted almonds - this French style dessert is made completely from scratch, in a homemade tart crust!
This blackberry tart is all about the Summer, and a great way to use up all those blackberries you might have bought on a whim! The homemade tart shell is so easy to make (don't let the word "homemade tart shell" scare you) - and it tastes like it just came from a French Bakery!
How to make tart with berries
Homemade tart shell
First you need to make a tart shell. Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter cold unsalted
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
I have a detailed tutorial with pictures for how to make a sweet tart crust shell from scratch. Just follow that tutorial.
Blackberry filling for tart shell
In a bowl, combine 4 cups of blackberries, 1 cup regular sugar, ½ cup all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon lemon zest. Toss everything well together. That's it! Your blackberry filling is done!
All you have to do now is to spoon the blackberry filling into the pre-baked tart shell and bake the tart shell with the blackberry filling in it for an additional 30-40 minutes at 350 F until the filling starts to bubble.
Related tart recipes
Blackberry Tart with Toasted Almonds
- tart shell 9 inch
- 5 cups fresh blackberries , not frozen
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice , freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon butter , cold, chopped thinly
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- ½ cup slivered almonds toasted
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
- Pre-bake the 9 inch or 9.5 inch tart crust at 400 Fahrenheit for 20 or 30 minutes according to the recipe here (how to make tart shell from scratch). Let the tart shell cool slightly.
- In a bowl, toss 4 cups of blackberries, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Spoon this mixture into the cooled tart shell. Top with the remaining 1 cup of blackberries. Sprinkle 1 or 2 tablespoons white sugar over the berries, and then sprinkle thinly chopped cold butter on top, too.
- Place the tart on a rimmed baking sheet (to catch any juices) and bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 F until filling starts to bubble.
- Take the tart out of the oven, let it cool for about 30 minutes, and top with toasted slivered almonds.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.