Easy blueberry muffins

Easy Blueberry Muffins, healthy blueberry muffins, yogurt blueberry muffins

What makes a great blueberry muffin? To me, it’s all about a fresh-tasting muffin, full of as many berries as the batter can possibly hold. I prefer to use a small amount of butter/oil in quick breads/muffin recipes, replacing most of it with Greek yogurt, which makes muffins lighter and moister and healthier. I also love simple recipes without complicated steps especially when we’re talking about breakfast (I do not want to spend a lot of time on making my breakfast!). These easy blueberry muffins meet all of these humble requirements!

Easy Blueberry Muffins, healthy blueberry muffins, yogurt blueberry muffins

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love this recipe! These muffins will be gone very fast, trust me: you’ll be having them for breakfast and dessert, and maybe even for lunch or brunch! These blueberry muffins are as perfect as muffins can be: moist and fruity, light and fluffy, rising and puffing up perfectly as they bake!

Easy Blueberry Muffins, healthy blueberry muffins, yogurt blueberry muffins

I want to remind you not to mix the batter too long, otherwise you will end up with dense, poorly risen muffins. If there are lumps in your batter – they will work themselves out during baking. Do not overmix is one of the most important rules when making most muffin recipes!!

Easy Blueberry Muffins, healthy blueberry muffins, yogurt blueberry muffins

These muffins are already great as they are, but a moderate amount of a crunchy streusel topping makes them only better even though you can safely skip it.

To make a perfect streusel crunchy topping, mix all ingredients (2/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature) with the fork until the mixture has a nice coarse texture. Add more flour if necessary. The topping should have a texture of a coarse meal, on a dry side. Then, sprinkle the topping over the muffins.

Easy Blueberry Muffins, healthy blueberry muffins, yogurt blueberry muffins

Bake for about 20 minutes and check if muffins are done right around the 20 minute mark by inserting a toothpick in the center. Let them cool completely before removing from the muffin pan. Enjoy!

Easy Blueberry Muffins, Greek yogurt blueberry muffins, healthy blueberry muffins, homemade blueberry muffins

Easy blueberry muffins

Yield: 12-14 regular size muffins. Use one regular size muffin pan (12 muffins)

Easy blueberry muffins

Muffins
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup Greek yogurt (I used 2% plain, Chobani Greek yogurt)
  • 2 cups blueberries
  • 2 tablespoons flour (for berries)
  • Topping
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup flour (or more)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature

Muffins
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin cups with muffin liners or grease muffin cups lightly.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, white sugar, salt, and baking powder.
  3. In a separate large bowl, add vegetable oil, 2 eggs, and Greek yogurt and whisk to combine.
  4. Add flour mixture from step 2 to the liquid mixture in step 3 and mix just enough to combine.
  5. In a separate medium size bowl (the one you used in step 2), combine blueberries with 2 tablespoons of flour. This is supposed to prevent berries from clumping together and sinking. Fold in the berries into the batter from step 4.
  6. To make the topping:
  7. Combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter in a small bowl. Mix until you have crumb-like mixture.
  8. Fill muffin cups with the muffin batter about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the streusel topping over muffins. Bake for about 20 minutes in the oven.

Click here for your chance to win $100 Visa Gift Card right here, on my site!

• Barb February 20, 2014, 9:11 am

What a delicious and cheery muffin to greet me on this cold winter morning. Wish I could reach out and grab it!

• Monique February 20, 2014, 9:11 am

Always something so charming about a muffin or a cupcake..Yours looks like an ornament..so cute!

• Ashley February 20, 2014, 2:50 pm

I love classic blueberry muffins! These sound like a great way to start of the day!

• Matt @ Runner Savvy February 20, 2014, 7:56 pm

Yum!

• Angie February 20, 2014, 10:03 pm

Since I can’t get good blueberries right now, do you think you could use frozen thawed berries?

• Julia February 24, 2014, 3:21 pm

Angie, yes you can use frozen blueberries – I wouldn’t even thaw them – just use them frozen, roll them in flour just like the fresh ones in the recipe before adding to the cake batter. If you don’t thaw them, they will be keep their whole shape. If you thaw them, they might get mushy when you add them to the batter.

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen February 20, 2014, 10:32 pm

Love these blueberry muffins, Julia! Streusel is always the way to go as is Greek yogurt. I’m really loving that little blueberry on top. So sweet! Pinned!

• Monet February 20, 2014, 11:06 pm

These look so good! I adore blueberry muffins. Pure comfort in my book! Thank you for sharing!

• Angie (@angiesrecipess) February 21, 2014, 5:02 am

These blueberry muffins look scrumptious, Julia. The crumble topping is the winner!

• Beth February 21, 2014, 6:11 am

If there’s anything better than a blueberry muffin with a streusel topping, I haven’t found it.

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking February 21, 2014, 9:36 am

I know I can always rely on you for a yummy, yet healthy, breakfast muffin! These look to be no exception! Now my oatmeal seems super insufficient!!!

• Shashi @ RunninSrilankan February 21, 2014, 10:50 am

I so so wish I could grab one of these muffins out of my screen – they look so so good! WOW!

• Daniela February 21, 2014, 11:14 am

Wow, I’m so much in mood for one of these gorgeous blueberry muffins right now!
    The addition of Greek yogurt and streusel topping is a fantastic idea.

• Helen at Casa Costello February 21, 2014, 4:41 pm

Ooh they look rather delicious! I always have such admiration for anyone who can find time to bake their breakfast – Its all I can manage to come up with coffee! Maybe when the kids are grown up. Fabulous pics.

• Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods February 22, 2014, 11:38 am

Julia, these blueberry muffins look delicious! I love using greek yogurt in my muffins. I made some this week, but a different recipe. I have to try yours too :D Pinning!

• Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes February 22, 2014, 12:41 pm

Yum!! Gosh I love blueberry muffins and the streusel topping looks so delicious!

• Natasha (@NatashasKitchen) February 22, 2014, 7:49 pm

Julia, these cupcakes look scrumptious :). Greek yogurt makes cupcakes very fluffy, great post.

• Liz February 22, 2014, 10:10 pm

Your blueberry muffins sound divine! I love that you added a streusel topping…an extra dose of yumminess!

• Coffee and Crumpets February 22, 2014, 11:33 pm

My favourite muffins! And I like mine with streusel too! These are beautiful, Julia!

• Padaek February 23, 2014, 6:31 am

Nom nom and nom. They look delectably perfect Julia – nom. :)

• rika@vm February 23, 2014, 8:47 am

Blueberries are really delicious in muffins – I prefer blueberries over any kinds of berries! I remember choosing blueberry muffins over any variety of muffins when I was a kid!

• Ari @ Ari's Menu February 23, 2014, 11:57 am

These look absolutely amazing, and that streusel topping just does me in!

• John@Kitchen Riffs February 23, 2014, 12:21 pm

My favorite kind of muffin is blueberry! I can never resist these. Never. So I hope you have quite a few left! ;-) These look terrific — thanks.

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust February 23, 2014, 7:35 pm

You’re so right – the crunchy topping makes the muffin! These are gorgeous!

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl February 23, 2014, 9:45 pm

Blueberry muffins are hands down my favorite type of muffins so these are exciting me a whole bunch!

• Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes February 24, 2014, 1:19 am

These are so perfect looking!! yum!!

• Monica March 2, 2014, 5:50 pm

I love all your muffin recipes, Julia. They look so beautiful and delicious, and they make me very happy. The blueberry on top is super cute too ;) Have a great day!

• Julia March 3, 2014, 2:51 pm

Monica, you’re so sweet! Thank you for your kinds words. Yes, that blueberry is sort of cute, isn’t it? :)

• Sarah March 4, 2014, 5:29 pm

Thanks for the awesome recipe….I’m making these tonight with Blueberries and strawberries. Making some to freeze also for easy breakfast :)

• Becky N October 3, 2014, 5:30 pm

What are the measurements in grams please?