Pumpkin banana muffins with apples and cinnamon

Pumpkin banana muffins with apples and cinnamon, pumpkin banana greek yogurt muffins, skinny muffins, breakfast muffins, dessert muffins, fall recipes, fall harvest food, fall muffins

Are you enjoying the pumpkin season? I certainly am! I never thought I would enjoy pumpkin muffins so much until I made these. And you will want to make them too once you read what they are made out of. Please meet pumpkin banana muffins made with Greek yogurt, chopped apples, cinnamon, and, not least importantly, only 4 tablespoons of butter for a whole regular 12-cup muffin pan!

These muffins are so airy, fluffy, and cake-like that I almost want to call them cupcakes, except that there is no frosting on top. And these don’t even need frosting. They are THAT good!

I’ve been eating them for breakfast, dessert; they became my favorite snack at work.

A pumpkin muffin takes on a new meaning when you add very ripe mashed bananas, Greek yogurt, cinnamon, and chopped apples to it. It becomes something you crave for day and night. Very ripe bananas make everything better. I am sure this could become your new favorite muffin recipe!

PUMPKIN BANANA MUFFINS made with Greek yogurt, chopped apples, and cinnamon are calling your name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pumpkin banana muffins with apples and cinnamon

Total time: 60 minutes

Ingredients:

• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft, room temperature
  • 1 cup regular white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 cups sliced apple chunks, or about 2 medium size apples (cored), or 1 large size apple (cored)

Use a regular 12-cup muffin pan

1) Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl, using electric mixer, beat 4 tablespoons of butter and 1 cup of white sugar on high speed for 1 minute until well-combined. You will get coarse looking mixture (not creamy).

2) Add 2 eggs to the butter-sugar mixture and continue beating for another minute until very creamy and very smooth.

3) Add mashed bananas, Greek yogurt, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract to the butter-sugar-eggs mixture, and continue beating, using electric mixer, until well combined – for about another minute.

4) In a separate medium bowl, combine sifted flour (do not overpack the flour, when measuring it using measuring cups!), baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix until well combined.

5) Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and mix, using large spoon, just until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX. If there are lumps – they will work themselves out during baking. Fold in apple chunks.

6) Place the muffin cup liners into the muffin pan. No need to grease the pan or muffin cup liners. Fill muffin liners 3/4 full. Bake for about 25 minutes. Cool on a rack for a little bit, then remove muffins from the pan and let them cool some more.

• rika@veganmiam October 12, 2013, 10:03 pm

I haven’t seen pumpkins yet here in Buenos Aires…maybe I didn’t see them or maybe they are at a special market, but not at the groceries though. I can’t wait to come home for Thanksgiving…I really would love to make something like a vegan pumpkin pie :) drools or these muffins!

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com October 12, 2013, 10:46 pm

Looks so fluffy and decadent! Love the fall flavors here :)

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen October 13, 2013, 12:34 am

Julia, I am with you…muffins all moist and airy like cupcakes are THE BEST! Love that these are made with Greek yogurt and you combined bananas and pumpkin. Thanks for sharing, girl. And, enjoy the rest of your weekend! Pinning in the morning!

• Julia October 15, 2013, 1:58 am

Stacy, thank you for being so sweet, as always! :)

• Daniela October 13, 2013, 2:03 am

Julia, just looking at the pictures makes my mouth water!
    Your muffins seem so fluffy and light. Love the addition of Greek Yogurt and the combination pumpkin,bananas and apples, sounds delightful.

• Anne ~ Uni Homemaker October 13, 2013, 2:10 am

I love this combination Julia! Pumpkin, banana and apples? YUM! Airy and cake-like sounds like my kind of muffins. Delicious! :)

• Ashley October 13, 2013, 8:19 am

What a great sounding muffin!! I still haven’t made any pumpkin muffins this fall – I need to get on that! I love that there are apples in here too!

• Madonna/aka/Ms. Lemon October 13, 2013, 8:21 am

Love the apples – breakfast or snack.

• Angie@Angie's Recipes October 13, 2013, 11:47 am

Pumpkin, apple, cinnamon…these muffins speak FALL out loud. They look amazing!

• Monique October 13, 2013, 1:25 pm

I am enjoying pumpkin/fall seasonn.But I would really love muffin season at your home..You’re a whiz at them I find Julia~

• Julia October 15, 2013, 1:59 am

Monique, your alter ego gravatar keeps sneaking in onto my blog. :) Who is this guy?????????????????????????? LOL

• john@kitchenriffs October 13, 2013, 1:49 pm

I’ve never made pumpkin muffins! I really need to do that – yours look so terrific. Really good stuff – thanks.

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You October 13, 2013, 2:16 pm

So muffinlicious, Julia! I wish I could have many of them.

• Julia October 15, 2013, 1:59 am

Denise, I just LOVE your new profile pic!

• Laura Dembowski October 13, 2013, 4:03 pm

Pumpkin muffins are always a hit! Love that these have banana in them too.

• Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen October 13, 2013, 7:45 pm

I’ve never tried pumpkins in muffins before but this just looks so moist and delicious!

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate October 13, 2013, 7:56 pm

These would make a great breakfast :)

• Deb October 13, 2013, 9:51 pm

Pumpkin, banana and apple! What an irresistible muffin! My family would very much enjoy these bundles of goodness!

• Nik@A Brown Table October 13, 2013, 10:21 pm

I love the fall touch in these muffins, the pumpkin with banana combination sounds delicious!

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen October 13, 2013, 10:25 pm

Love muffins that are light and airy like cupcakes. These look fabulous. Really curious to know what pumpkin, banana, and apple taste like together. I am sure I would love them! Pinning!

• Julia October 15, 2013, 2:00 am

Christin, it’s a winning combination! All those things go really well together! :)

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl October 13, 2013, 11:25 pm

Pumpkin, banana and apples in a muffin? You won me over! You won me over big time! I’d love these for my morning breakfast!

• Yelena October 14, 2013, 9:51 am

Classic combination, and we still want more recipes like that! This one is a winner! You had me at “pumpkin – banana”-))
    Hugs, dear Julia!

Yelena

• Ari @ Ari's Menu October 14, 2013, 10:47 am

You put all my favorite things into one muffin!! They look incredible, Julia!

• Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes October 14, 2013, 11:28 am

Pumpkin muffins have been on my list to make for a few weeks now – love the addition of the banana!!! Very unique..

• Julia October 15, 2013, 2:01 am

Thanks, Ashley! these are wonderful! My new favorite muffin, for sure. :)

• Natasha @ The Cake Merchant October 15, 2013, 10:54 am

You’ve put all the flavors of fall into one muffin! And I love anything baked with greek yogurt. Pinning!

• Beth October 15, 2013, 11:53 am

What a great combination of flavours. They look delicious!

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking October 15, 2013, 12:24 pm

You are out of control with your pumpkin recipes! AND I LOVE IT! These are absolutely going on the must make list. Anything that is “almost like cupcakes” is A-OK in my book!

• Christie October 16, 2013, 2:59 pm

I made these today after I realized I had all the ingredients, including half a can of pumpkin and 2 sad looking bananas. I subbed coconut oil for half the butter and added chopped walnuts. They turned out amazing. Great taste and very moist texture. A real keeper of a receipe.

• Julia October 17, 2013, 6:34 pm

Christie, thank you so much for stopping by! :) You know the other day I was at the store and saw a bottle of coconut oil, and I thought – I need to try using this oil in some of my recipes! Now, after your comment – I need to do that for sure! :)

• Nami | Just One Cookbook October 16, 2013, 4:51 pm

The combination of those flavors is like fall ingredients pack in one! I can totally imagine they are awesome. And I love pumpkin (I’m eating Trader Joe’s pita chips with pumpkin seeds and cranberries with pumpkin cream cheese – oh so yum). I want to make these muffins next!

• Rosa October 16, 2013, 6:59 pm

Deliciously seasonal! Your muffins must taste wonderful.

Cheers,

Rosa

• Chocolate Shavings October 17, 2013, 7:56 pm

These are so perfect for this time of year — yum!

• Rachel Cotterill October 19, 2013, 1:19 pm

Yay, pumpkin season! :D

• Sarah Lorde October 21, 2013, 2:38 am

Made these tonight. They are sooo yummy. I was out of a couple ingredients , so I Subbed pumkin pie spice for cinnamon and low fat sour cream for the yoghurt. They were super fluffy & extra yummy. I managed to make 16 muffins, but think I could have easily made 20. Thanks for the fall yumminess.

• Julia October 25, 2013, 12:17 am

Sarah, I am so happy to hear you liked this recipe! Comments like this one really mean so much to me. And, good to know that pumpkin pie spice and sour cream work well as substitutes here! :)

• Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner October 22, 2013, 12:16 pm

Everyone always has a battle, which is better, apple or pumpkin? You don’t have to choose when it comes to these muffins and that’s awesome! Love the banana addition too. I wish I had one now!

• Mandy October 24, 2013, 6:09 am

I found your recipe on pinterest I think. Had it saved to use when I had just a little pumpkin left over. This recipe is a total win with me and my 2 kids 3 and under (they’re a tough crowd.) Thanks for sharing!

• Julia October 25, 2013, 12:18 am

Mandy, glad to hear the recipe was a win! :) Especially with the kid crowd – they could be tough to please. :) Thanks for stopping by and leaving this sweet comment! :)

• Jennie November 1, 2013, 4:21 pm

These look great! I would love to try them, but what size bananas do you use for your recipes? Do you know about how much the mashed fruit would equal in cups? Maybe you could add that measurement for your next banana recipe :) Thanks for the great recipes!

• Julia November 5, 2013, 2:21 am

Jennie, I used just average sized bananas – not huge and not too small. I do like to measure everything in cups, so next time I will make sure to measure the mashed bananas in cups too. :). A very important thing in this recipe is to sift the flour (or fluffy it up) so that you don’t overpack it in a measuring cup. Overpacking would definitely skew the proportions in this recipe. :)

• Liza November 29, 2013, 9:15 pm

Found your recipe looking for something different to use up some items from Thanksgiving I had extra. These muffins turned out really yummy, I even added some craisins to it. My batch made 48 mini muffins. Will use this recipe often!!! Thanks and Great Job. :)

• Julia December 7, 2013, 3:51 am

Liza, thank you for such a sweet comment! Glad you liked the muffins – I like them too and make them often! :)

• Adena Hejl March 16, 2014, 10:21 am

I made these muffins this morning using half white sugar half brown sugar. I added a quarter cup of ground flaxseed. And for the yogurt I use Chobani Greek yogurt the Apple cinnamon all 5.3 ounces of it. Amazing, healthy and delicious!

• Julia March 19, 2014, 3:20 pm

Adena, thank you for your comment! I love your idea of using half white sugar and half brown sugar and adding ground flaxseed – I got to try this combination myself! Thank you for the idea! :)