How to make butternut squash puree – tips and instructions. Roast butternut squash in the oven. Then use a grater, potato masher, or food processor to make the homemade puree.
Roasted Butternut Squash Puree
Butternut squash is an amazing vegetable that can be used in many recipes. It’s so versatile. You can make soups, such as black bean butternut squash soup. You can also make butternut squash lasagna, butternut squash casserole, and even butternut squash tortellini.
How to Peel Butternut Squash
My trick for peeling butternut squash is to peel it AFTER roasting it in the oven. After you roast the whole butternut squash, it is very soft and peeling becomes a breeze. If you want to make butternut squash puree out of a whole squash, peel it after roasting it in the oven.
How to Make Butternut Squash Puree
Here is a quick tutorial on how to roast the whole butternut squash in the oven. As you can guess, it’s not a very complicated tutorial. You can also use the same process to make pumpkin puree.
1) First, roast the butternut squash in the oven to soften it. You don’t need to peel it. Peel the butternut squash after it’s cooked and soft. Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
2) Cut the whole squash in 2 halves, scrape out the seeds and the fiber out of each half.
3) Brush the baking sheet with vegetable oil. Place the 2 halves of the whole butternut squash on the baking sheet cut side down.
4) Roast the squash for about 30 minutes in the preheated oven at 400 F. Remove it from the oven and let it cool. Flip the butternut squash so that the cut side faces up. That will speed up the cooling.
5) Once the butternut squash is cooled, peel it. The skin will come off really easily.
6) At this point, you have several options to puree the roasted butternut squash:
- Use a food processor or blender to finely mash the butternut squash
- Use a large grater to grate it into very small chunks to get more texture
- Use a potato masher to also get more texture
How to Puree Butternut Squash in Food Processor
To make butternut squash puree, place peeled roasted butternut squash in the food processor (or blender). Work in batches, if necessary. Process the squash until very smooth and almost creamy. Season your butternut squash puree with salt and pepper.
How to Make Butternut Squash Puree with a Grater or Potato Masher
You can use a large grater (or a potato masher) to grate/mash the squash. This way, you will get more texture, if that’s what the recipe requires. Here is the recipe for butternut squash turnovers in puff pastry that uses grated butternut squash.
Enjoy this delicious roasted butternut squash!
How to roast the whole butternut squash in the oven and make a puree. You can make butternut squash puree using food processor, grater, or potato masher.
- 1 Butternut Squash medium size
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
Cut the squash in 2 halves, scrape out the seeds and the fiber out of each half.
Brush the baking sheet with oil and place the squash on the baking sheet cut side down.
Bake for about 30 minutes, remove it from the oven and let it cool.
Flip the squash so that cut side faces up – that will speed up the cooling.
Once the butternut squash is cooled, peel it. The skin will come off really easily.
Place butternut squash in the food processor (or blender), working in batches, if necessary. Process it until very smooth and almost creamy.
Season with salt and pepper.