Crepes with caramelized apples and creamy ricotta cheese filling

Crepes with ricotta cheese filling, apples, and honey, pancakes, breakfast recipe

The Fall is here! It makes me very happy: I love rain, thunderstorms, the sound of lightning, leaves turning yellow, and, of course, Fall harvest foods. And, what better way to celebrate the first days of Fall than to cook something yummy with apples! I love crepes (A LOT), and I just knew I couldn’t go wrong by combining classic Fall flavors (cinnamon, apples, brown sugar, lemon juice) on top of a crepe, which I also decided to stuff with a little bit of sweetened ricotta cheese, for an extra creaminess. I couldn’t believe how delicious these crepes came out to be!

So, you will start by thinly slicing apples, tossing them in brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. You will then caramelize them over high heat in 2 tablespoons of butter for 5-10 minutes, and, while the apples are still hot but off the heat, add a small amount of honey for more sizzle and caramelization effect. For a little bit of creaminess, I highly recommend that you heat up some ricotta cheese along with just a bit of agave (which will sweeten the ricotta cheese very nicely). By adding just a tablespoon (or more) of this ricotta cheese filling into the crepe, and then topping the crepe with caramelized apples, you will get an absolutely out-of-this-world dessert with all the right Fall flavors! Yum! Please enjoy!

Crepes with caramelized apples and ricotta cheese filling, breakfast recipe, breakfast crepes, breakfast pancakes, fall recipes, cinnamon apple crepes

Crepes with caramelized apples and ricotta cheese filling

Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min

Ingredients:

Makes 6 servings (6 crepes topped with pear mixture on top)

1) Place sliced apples into a large bowl, add sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and mix. Let apples sit for about 15 minutes to release juices.

2) In a medium size pan, heat 2 tablespoons of butter on high heat. Add sliced apples (without juice at the bottom of the pan) to the butter in the pan, close the pan with the lid and let them cook on high for about 5 minutes, checking periodically. After 5 minutes, flip sliced apples on the other side, close the pan with the lid and let them cook on high for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Depending on how hot your stove gets, it might take you less or more time to cook apples, the key is to brown them or even get a slightly “burned” effect. But don’t over-do it, once the apples have this “roasted” appearance. Right after you remove the pan with roasted sliced apples from the heat, immediately add honey – it will make apples sizzle and will caramelize them beautifully, off the heat. Then, add all other juices from the bowl.

3) In a separate, small skillet, heat ricotta cheese and agave nectar and keep mixing it until the mixture becomes liquid and of even consistency. Remove from heat and let it cool. Once it cools a bit, the mixture would become more solid, which is what we want.

4) To serve: add 2 tablespoons (or less) of agave-ricotta cheese mixture on top of an open crepe, fold the crepe in half, then fold it one more time to form a triangle. Pour hot mixture of honey, butter and caramelized apples on top. Ready to serve!

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate September 22, 2013, 7:52 pm

These look delicious!

• Beth September 22, 2013, 10:27 pm

You’ve sold me! What a perfect combination of flavours.

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen September 22, 2013, 11:12 pm

Talk about wicked! Julia, you are my culinary hero! I just adore Fall and everything she has to offer. Your apple crepes look divine! Just learned I am highly allergic to dairy, so I am going to paleo-ize your recipe using coconut cream or coconut yogurt versus ricotta. (Oh, how I’ll miss cheeses of all kinds!) Love that you use agave. I bake with it often. Stunning photography, girl! I think I need some lessons from you. Thanks for sharing…I will pin during peak time!

• Rosa September 23, 2013, 2:47 am

Oh, divine! Those are heavenly crepes.

Cheers,

Rosa

• Julia @Vikalinka September 23, 2013, 3:10 am

Julia, these are beyond tempting! It doesn’t help that your photography is so stunning so the blinis are virtually coming off the screen. :-)

• Kumar's Kitchen September 23, 2013, 4:52 am

such adorable clicks…we felt like we will grab that plate full of syrupy pancakes for breakfast….you are a genius….lovely dish :-)

• Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com September 23, 2013, 5:50 am

Oh my – you are like the crepe QUEEN! These crepes look INSANELY DELISH!!!!!! They are the cause of a droolfest over on my side of the screen :)

• Karen (Back Road Journal) September 23, 2013, 7:26 am

Great photos. Apples are ready for picking in our orchard and this sounds like a great way to use some of them.

• Melanie September 23, 2013, 8:18 am

Those look wonderful and not to hard to make, either! I kind of want them for breakfast now!

• Krista September 23, 2013, 8:28 am

Those look absolutely marvelous and are so lacy and delicate. :-) Lovely!!

• Angie@Angie's Recipes September 23, 2013, 9:13 am

Those crepes look DIVINE, Julia. Those caramelized apples are killing me!

• Yelena September 23, 2013, 10:06 am

Wow crepes with apples and ricotta sound like an amazing combination. Must try!

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking September 23, 2013, 10:31 am

Girl, you do crepes like no one else! I look at your photos and my mouth waters and I think, “I should really try those…” and then I get intimidated again. I’m lovin the Fall flavors here! Beautiful!

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen September 23, 2013, 10:58 am

Wow Julia! These look like some of your best crepes yet. I am happy it is fall too, but it won’t be long before I’m complaining about winter.

• Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes September 23, 2013, 11:36 am

These crepes look delicious!! I love fall, too :)

• Laura Dembowski September 23, 2013, 12:52 pm

The caramelized apples on top of these crepes look beyond amazing! I bet they would be good on ice cream or cake too.

• Ashley September 23, 2013, 1:28 pm

I’ve been putting caramelized apples in just about everything lately and with that lightly sweetened ricotta?? These sound amazing! Yay for fall!

• Deb September 23, 2013, 1:30 pm

What a dazzling fall recipe! The apples and honey are just magnificent with the ricotta filled crepes!

• Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner September 23, 2013, 1:54 pm

I’ve never made crepes before but they look delicious! I would definitely add those carmelized apples to my pancakes…yummy and warm for this time of year. :)

• Nami | Just One Cookbook September 23, 2013, 2:03 pm

You really make the best crepes!!! We’ll spend more time at home as soon as rain starts and it gets cold outside, and making crepes with the kids for snack is one fun activity for us! Looking forward to trying your crepes!

• Nik@ABrownTable September 23, 2013, 2:45 pm

Those are some of the best crepes I have seen and those apples look so delicious on top!

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You September 23, 2013, 3:14 pm

Julia: You have overdone yourself…This is AMAZING!!!!! I am about to drool over the keyboard. Pinned, pinned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ari @ Ari's Menu September 23, 2013, 7:05 pm

I was just thinking about how I wanted to make something with ricotta. Done, and done. These look amazing Julia!!

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl September 23, 2013, 7:32 pm

Oh goodness these look amazing, I especially love that ricotta cheese filling. Definitely adding this on the brunch menu!

• Trisha September 24, 2013, 3:22 am

Ooo these photos are SO tempting. i am a huge fan of any apple based desserts! x

• Madonna/aka/Ms. Lemon September 24, 2013, 8:20 am

Mmmmm…. Your making me hungry.

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 24, 2013, 11:42 am

Heavenly! I’m loving your apple recipes :)

• Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet September 24, 2013, 4:08 pm

Love everything about this! Caramelized apples, creamy filling and the crepes – delish!!! Pinning!

• Orchidea September 25, 2013, 8:57 am

Hi,
    I love the fall too… with the beautiful colors on the trees and the good food: mushrooms, roasted chestnuts, warm soups… And also my birthday is in fall and soon my little baby too! Delicious crepes!
    Ciao.

• Anne ~ Uni Homemaker September 25, 2013, 4:22 pm

Such a pretty looking crepe! Apples and ricotta cheese filling? WOW.. and fancy too. :) Pinning these for sure. Great post Julia!

• Yelena September 26, 2013, 6:09 pm

Crepes are next in my list to “What to cook next”. I am not sure how I like them to be photograph yet-)) Your presentation is beautiful! Well done!

• Jocelyn @ BruCrew Life September 30, 2013, 1:25 am

I want to jump into these pics and eat these up! Holy yum!