Apple cinnamon crepes, or apple pie – in a crepe!

Apple cinnamon crepes

Apple pie has always been one of my most favorite desserts, and I am also addicted to crepes. As I was brainstorming the other day about what kind of new filling I should try for the stack of crepes I always seem to have somewhere nearby (perhaps, because I love making them from scratch), I figured I just couldn’t go wrong by mixing finely chopped apples with brown sugar and cinnamon and then stuffing that into a crepe. Oh boy! These apple cinnamon crepes turned out so good! Just take a look at this photo:

Apple cinnamon crepes

These stuffed crepes are really like an apple pie at its finest: French dessert and traditional American dessert combined in one. They did not last long in my house: in fact, my husband never got a chance to eat a single crepe. He never knew I made them. I’ve eaten them for breakfast, afternoon snack and after dinner dessert. I’ve suffered withdrawal after the crepes were all gone, and had to make some more, dusting them with loads of powdered sugar:

Apple cinnamon crepes

While I used only brown sugar and cinnamon for the apple crepe filling, you could also try adding a bit of lemon juice or vanilla extract (or both) to the bowl with chopped apples for juices to do their work. And, lightly dusting these crepes with powdered sugar right before serving makes them so pretty!

Apple cinnamon crepes

If you love crepes, I so recommend stuffing them with this apple cinnamon filling and trying this simple recipe!

Apple cinnamon crepes recipe, pancakes, breakfast, dessert

Apple cinnamon crepes

Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 15 min

Ingredients:

Makes 4 servings

1) Chop apples into small cubes, place cubed apple slices in a medium bowl, add brown sugar and cinnamon, and toss everything together to coat chopped apples with brown sugar and cinnamon. Let the juices do their work for about 20 minutes.

2) In the mean time (or, beforehand), prepare crepes according to instructions.

3) Right before serving, heat chopped apples on medium heat in a skillet, and warm the crepes in a microwave for about 20 seconds. To serve, add chopped apples on top of the open crepe, and fold the crepe into the pocket shape. Sprinkle with powdered sugar right before serving, if desired.

More crepes recipes:

• Barb June 6, 2013, 8:18 am

These look so delicious! But I always come here to see your photography – it’s pure eye candy!

• The Café Sucre Farine June 6, 2013, 8:23 am

I can totally see why your husband didn’t get any of these. They look amazing and I’m sure the aroma of the apples is fantastic!

• Monique June 6, 2013, 8:49 am

I have been wondering what you have been cooking up..these are gorgeous.I love the look of crepes too:)Especially w/ icing sugar and you captured it’s sprinkling so well!

• marcie@flavorthemoments June 6, 2013, 11:59 am

These look scrumptious! Your photos are so good I feel like I can almost taste them.

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking June 6, 2013, 12:51 pm

Who can resist powdered sugar being sprinkled on crepes stuffed with apple-pie filling?! A part of me just died and went to heaven!

• Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef June 6, 2013, 1:06 pm

what a gorgeous and amazing dessert. simple, yet complex. perfect! i want one now :)

• Dinner Happy June 6, 2013, 3:52 pm

Hi Julia!
    This looks delicious! We love the look of your recipe photographs and would like to feature them on our site! We are looking for new bloggers to feature every week.
    Stop by and let us know what you think!
    -The Dinner Happy Team

• Julia June 8, 2013, 4:21 pm

Your site looks very interesting, just bookmarked it.

• Liz June 6, 2013, 4:08 pm

I made crepes last week for an upcoming post…and now I want them again with apple filling. What a scrumptious treat!

• Daniela June 6, 2013, 5:16 pm

What a brilliant idea! I love apple cake and I love crepes and this combination is as good as it can get :)
    Julia, your pictures are stunning!

• Ari @ Ari's Menu June 6, 2013, 6:34 pm

Those powdered sugar recipes are STUNNING!!! And these look amazing, Julia!

• Deb June 6, 2013, 7:11 pm

What luscious crepes! I usually make savory for a quick dinner but apple and cinnamon are just irresistible!

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate June 6, 2013, 7:33 pm

These sound delicious!

• Baltic Maid June 6, 2013, 10:38 pm

I love it! It is so pretty, and I can only imagine how delicious this must be. Brilliant combination!

• Angie@Angie's Recipes June 6, 2013, 11:48 pm

Two incredible elements in just one recipe! A terrific combo! They look out of this world delicious, Julia.

• Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes June 7, 2013, 12:59 am

I’ve never made crepes before..time to try them!! I love the action shot at the top :)

• Anne ~ Uni Homemaker June 7, 2013, 1:43 am

Ooooh, these look insanely good! Perfect for breakfast and brunch. And pretty to entertain with too! Lovely post Julia.

• Mihai @ World in a Cupcake June 7, 2013, 3:22 am

Those crepes are mouth-watering. Your images look very cute! Would you be interested in submitting photos to a new start-up such as Foodgawker or TasteSpotting?

• Julia June 8, 2013, 4:20 pm

Thank you! I just checked out your site and will definitely submit a couple of my photos!

• Looking FANCY June 7, 2013, 3:47 am

These crepes look lovely! I’m not a big fan of apples though, but i love crepes :)

• Jen @JuanitasCocina June 7, 2013, 6:57 am

My mother used to make us crepes filled with apples just like this! (only not as gorgeous, natch)

YUM!

• Min June 7, 2013, 12:38 pm

This look amazing!! Love the photos and love the step by step instructions on crepe making.

• Laura Dembowski June 7, 2013, 3:25 pm

These crepes are the perfect meal in my book. I have never had a crepe, so I’m imagining the delicate, thin pancake and then that spiced apple filling. Oh, yum! And they’d be perfect for the dreary day here.

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen June 7, 2013, 3:32 pm

Wow! Your crepes look amazing Julia! I have never made homemade crepes before.

• Donalyn@The Creekside Cook June 7, 2013, 3:33 pm

Oh my – I can nearly taste them just from looking at the photos – beautiful recipe, beautifully rendered!

• Jilly Inspired June 7, 2013, 7:20 pm

Hi Julia, Yowza these look so good! My husband loves anything with apple and we both love crepes! YUMMERS! I shared this on a Pinterest board that gets a lot of visitors. Photos are beautiful!

• Lail | With A Spin June 8, 2013, 3:59 am

I am a crepe lover, I can have for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Yours look beautiful and delicious.

• Patty June 8, 2013, 5:49 pm

Love your photos-these apple crepes look so good-pinned!

• Ashley June 8, 2013, 9:25 pm

Oh man, these sound fantastic. Apple pie rolled into a crepe? Yes, please! Love all that powdered sugar too!

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com June 9, 2013, 5:17 am

I’ll have a few to go, please? :D Yummy twist on traditional apple pie!!

• Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen June 9, 2013, 9:19 am

I really love the idea of apple pie crepes, these look so good! Your photos are gorgeous too, I especially love the first one with the sugar being sprinkled on!

• little box brownie June 10, 2013, 4:09 am

Yum…. this is so mouth watering.

• Nami | Just One Cookbook June 13, 2013, 4:18 pm

Might have a little time to make this for today’s snack! I’m going to check your crepe recipe after this, but oh this sounds really good. I have to use at least 10 apples before trip, so this recipe comes in handy too. Looks so delicious! Love your action shot!

• Jill June 14, 2013, 2:27 pm

Hey Julia, your crepes are blowing up on Food Gawker. Of course they’d be favorited a zillion times. They’re delish and gorgeous to look at. Congrats!

• Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com June 20, 2013, 10:53 pm

Julia, these crepes look scrumptious! I’m drooling all over my keyboard :D.

• A August 3, 2013, 12:20 pm

They look so yummy but I think (I could be wrong though) that your instructions are missing the part about cooking the apple mixture? Or are they supposed to be raw? Can’t wait to try them out but I will definitely cook the apples first :)

• Julia August 5, 2013, 10:51 pm

I’ll tell you honestly – I don’t remember if they were raw or cooked :). I have to make this recipe again both ways to see which version is better. However, because these chopped apples have such defined shape on the photos, I am inclined to think that I didn’t cook them – just let them sit in the bowl for 20 minutes to produce juices and soften up a bit.

• Suzanne September 16, 2013, 3:40 am

These crepes look fabulous just perfect for Fall.

• Julia October 13, 2013, 4:39 am

Yes, absolutely.

• Tami October 7, 2013, 11:21 am

Good stuff although I will heat the apple mixture up next time as I would prefer it warmed. Otherwise, GREAT recipe Thanks for sharing!!

• Julia October 13, 2013, 4:39 am

Yes, they are great served warm! Thank you! :)

• Mikey October 10, 2013, 6:51 pm

Nice pictures aside, creeps with cold raw apples sounds a bit nasty. And those look quite cooked…

• Julia October 13, 2013, 4:38 am

Good point – apples would be better served warm!

• Justin October 13, 2013, 9:19 am

Hey Julia,
    I’m glad I stumbled upon this site. Everything looks delicious and I’m so jealous of your photography skills. Keep it up! We had to share this recipe on my, “Whacchoo Bloggin’ Bout” section because I love anything wrapped in any kind of cooked flour and this is perfect. Good Luck!
    Justin & Garnet

• Manuela October 29, 2013, 2:44 pm

Hello!
    I just made these crepes and they are delicious. You can find my version of the recipe in my blog: http://cravoecanela-umacozinhanosbrasil.blogspot.com.br/2013/10/crepes-de-maca-e-canela.html
    Thank you for sharing.
    Manuela

• Ladiesfashionsense November 1, 2013, 10:57 am

These crepes look super delicious. Thank you for sharing.

• Erin @ Texanerin Baking January 10, 2014, 2:21 pm

Oh my. You really outdid yourself here. I don’t even like crepes but I’d totally gobble these up!

And I’m really holding myself back from responding to the “creeps” + apples is nasty comment. Creeps with cold raw apples ARE nasty! :D

• Julia January 13, 2014, 3:11 pm

Ha-ha, Erin! Creeps with cold raw apples does sound nasty! :) I don’t think I read (or understood) that comment properly before I read yours! Now, I am just laughing so hard while sipping tea at Starbucks that people might think I am strange. :)

• Erin H February 1, 2014, 2:52 am

What kind of apples would you recommend using? Please and thank you.

• Julia February 3, 2014, 3:15 pm

I like using crisper, sweeter apples, such as Fuji, Honeycrisp, or Gala varieties. :)

• Emily {Rainbow Delicious} February 27, 2014, 8:41 pm

Sometimes simple recipes are the best ones, and these crepes look simply delicious!

• erin March 4, 2014, 9:57 am

I made them and they are good…… I think. My crepes didn’t look nearly as good as yours but next time I’m going to perfect them!!! My dad says to try to make cherry crepes this Sunday!!!

• Julia March 4, 2014, 2:39 pm

Hi Erin! Thanks for stopping by! Glad that you liked the crepes! Cherry crepes sound so good – my parents used to make their own cherry preserves and then I would spread it over the crepes, fold the crepes and have them for breakfast on the weekends. Yummy!