Apple pie has always been one of my most favorite desserts, and I am also addicted to crepes. As I was brainstorming the other day about what kind of new filling I should try for the stack of crepes I always seem to have somewhere nearby (perhaps, because I love making them from scratch), I figured I just couldn’t go wrong by mixing finely chopped apples with brown sugar and cinnamon and then stuffing that into a crepe. Oh boy! These apple cinnamon crepes turned out so good! Just take a look at this photo:
These stuffed crepes are really like an apple pie at its finest: French dessert and traditional American dessert combined in one. They did not last long in my house: in fact, my husband never got a chance to eat a single crepe. He never knew I made them. I’ve eaten them for breakfast, afternoon snack and after dinner dessert. I’ve suffered withdrawal after the crepes were all gone, and had to make some more, dusting them with loads of powdered sugar:
While I used only brown sugar and cinnamon for the apple crepe filling, you could also try adding a bit of lemon juice or vanilla extract (or both) to the bowl with chopped apples for juices to do their work. And, lightly dusting these crepes with powdered sugar right before serving makes them so pretty!
If you love crepes, I so recommend stuffing them with this apple cinnamon filling and trying this simple recipe!
Apple cinnamon crepes
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 3 large apples, cored and peeled
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Homemade crepes (detailed tutorial with photos here)
Makes 4 servings
1) Chop apples into small cubes, place cubed apple slices in a medium bowl, add brown sugar and cinnamon, and toss everything together to coat chopped apples with brown sugar and cinnamon. Let the juices do their work for about 20 minutes.
2) In the mean time (or, beforehand), prepare crepes according to instructions.
3) Right before serving, heat chopped apples on medium heat in a skillet, and warm the crepes in a microwave for about 20 seconds. To serve, add chopped apples on top of the open crepe, and fold the crepe into the pocket shape. Sprinkle with powdered sugar right before serving, if desired.
Follow me on Pinterest: - YOU won’t be disappointed :