Southwestern Spaghetti Squash stuffed with chopped chicken, black beans, tomatoes, corn, green chilies, green bell pepper, spaghetti squash flesh, and topped and broiled with shredded Cheddar on top! All of this spiced up with Southwestern spices.
This stuffed Southwestern Spaghetti Squash is so good, you'll have a hard time stop eating eat! Great recipe for the holidays or for when spaghetti squash is in season.
The flavors of this dish are AMAZING! First, you cook the spaghetti squash according to my detailed tutorial: how to cook spaghetti squash. Then, you combine all the ingredients in a large skillet with spices:
Stuff each spaghetti squash half with the mixture from the skillet:
Top with the shredded Cheddar cheese:
And broil for 1-2 minutes until the cheese melts. Top with chopped fresh cilantro:
The dinner is ready! And it was surprisingly easy to make!
Southwestern Spaghetti Squash with Chicken
- 1 spaghetti squash whole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes chopped
- 15 oz corn from the can, drained
- 15 oz black beans from the can, rinsed and drained
- 4.5 oz green chilies from the can, diced
- 1 ½ cups Cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cook spaghetti squash according to these easy instructions for cooking spaghetti squash.
- At this point, you should have 2 empty spaghetti squash halves, with the flesh strands removed to a bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add chopped chicken breast, sprinkle with half the amount of cumin, half the chili powder, half the amount of turmeric, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 7-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through completely.
- Add chopped bell pepper, chopped tomatoes, drained corn, drained black beans, and diced green chilies to the skillet with chicken, add the remaining spices (the remaining half amounts of cumin, chili powder, and turmeric), and stir everything to combine. Remove from heat.
- Add the spaghetti squash flesh to the skillet with the chicken mixture. If the skillet is not large enough, use a large bowl and combine the spaghetti squash flesh and all the chicken mixture from the skillet in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Taste and add more salt, and more spices (cumin and chili powder) if needed.
- Set the oven to broil.
- Stuff each squash half with the mixture from the previous steps and top each squash half with shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Broil for about 1-2 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and top each squash half with chopped fresh cilantro.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Delicious dish full of great flavor! Whole family loved it. I served it with sour cream and cilantro.. Thanks for sharing!
Terri, your comment made my day! 🙂 Glad you liked this recipe. Serving this with sour cream and cilantro sounds delicious!
Loved this! It was a great way to be creative with a spaghetti squash! I adapted it as I always do because I am my mothers daughter lol! I used ground chicken instead of chicken breast, used colored bell peppers instead of green, and used a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies (medium spice) instead of the diced tomatoes & green chilies. I also added garlic, onion, mushrooms, paprika & jalapeño. Topped it off with some sour cream & avocado on top of the cheese & cilantro! Thank you for sharing!
We made this , following the recipe exactly, and my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We’re both on WW’s (formerly Weight Watchers) blue program and it was basically no points except for the cheese. Filling and satisfying! Thanks for sharing it.
Sheila, you are very welcome! Glad to hear you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for stopping by and sharing such positive feedback!
Made this without the chicken and it as delicious.
So glad you liked it and good to know that the recipe works well without chicken, too!
Omg this makes a humongous amount!!!!! I ended up using 1/2 of the squash. Did add a tad of salsa and 2tbsp sour cream. 8 (could be more) big servings 3 points! And SOOO GOOD! Thanks!
Glad you enjoyed this recipe. 🙂 It does make a lot - great for leftovers!
I was kind of surprised at how good this was! My boyfriend and I really enjoyed it! The only thing I don't like is the amt of sodium in this recipe, which I don't understand because it's all meat and vegetables and a little bit of beans. Anyway, try it! I think you'll like it!
I am so glad you liked this recipe! Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comment!
So yummy! Hubby and I so enjoyed this!
I am so happy to hear that! 🙂
Awesome recipe! Wouldn’t change a thing
Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed it!