This simple sausage and veggies skillet dinner features bell peppers, zucchini, corn, and fresh cilantro. It's an easy and colorful meal that takes only 30 minutes to make and everything is cooked in one pan. It's perfect for meal prep and busy family weeknights!
Sausage and vegetables - a perfect combination!
This recipe is a simple 30-minute, one-pan dinner that tastes like a dish from a fine dining restaurant! There are only 5 basic ingredients (excluding olive oil and seasonings): sausage, corn, bell peppers, zucchini, and fresh cilantro. This easy and delicious meal can be prepared any night of the week - and your family and friends will thank you!
If you like more sausage and veggie dinner inspiration, be sure to check out this creamy sausage gnocchi with spinach and tomatoes and Italian sausage pasta with vegetables (mushrooms, spinach, and tomato sauce).
Why you should make it
What I love about this simple one-pan meal is that for such a small amount of effort you get a beautiful homemade dinner that tastes and looks like an entree from a high-end restaurant! We all have busy lives and it's nice to have easy recipes that can be made ahead or be added as meal prep in your rotation. I do hope you give this recipe a try and let me know in the comments if you liked it!
- This recipe is rich in protein and gluten-free.
- The clean-up is minimal.
- Perfect for meal prep.
- Sausage and veggies skillet is a flexible recipe that is easy to adjust to whatever you have available.
One-Pan 30-Minute Meal
In this recipe, everything is cooked in one skillet: sausage, bell peppers, zucchini, and corn! The clean-up after dinner is minimal - only 1 cooking dish to clean! Because of the simplicity of this recipe and how tasty it is, this recipe might become one of your family's favorite weeknight dinners!
What kind of sausage to use
- Pre-cooked sausage. Use smoked sausage, andouille sausage, or cajun sausage. The key is to use a flavored sausage that has already been pre-cooked. I used pre-cooked andouille sausage in this recipe.
- Italian sausage links. If you love spicy, mild, or sweet Italian sausage, you will love it mixed with bell peppers, zucchini, and corn! In this case, make sure it's cooked.
- Crumbled sausage. You can also use crumbled sausage. Make sure to completely cook it through before using it in this recipe.
Variations and substitutions
Sausage and veggies skillet is a flexible recipe that is easy to adjust to whatever you have available.
- Sausage. Use smoked sausage, andouille sausage, and cajun sausage. The key is to use a flavored sausage that has already been pre-cooked. I used pre-cooked andouille sausage in this recipe.
- Veggies. A variety of vegetables can be used. Mushrooms, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, sugar snap peas, green beans, and eggplant.
- Add-ins. You can add rice, pasta, orzo, couscous, or quinoa.
How to make sausage and veggies in a skillet
- Start by cooking the sausage in a cast-iron skillet.
- Once your sausage is cooked through, drain any excess grease from the pan if necessary.
- Next, add diced bell peppers, then add sliced zucchini. Cook the veggies.
- As soon as the veggies are done, add back the cooked sausage and cooked corn.
- Finally, you will turn down your heat to low and reheat everything gently, giving everything a good stir.
How to boil corn
This recipe uses cooked corn on the cob - 3 ears of corn. Precook the corn before using it in the recipe. Here is how to do it:
- Bring a medium saucepan with water to a boil.
- Remove husks and silks from the corn.
- Add uncooked ears of corn (corn on the cob) and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain, and let it cool.
- Slice corn kernels off the cob using a knife.
Storage and reheating tips
Because this sausage and veggies skillet does not use any cream or cheese, this recipe is very easy to store and reheat. You can also easily make this ahead.
- Fridge. Store cooked sausage and veggies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freezer. Freeze it in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
- Reheat in the microwave oven. Reheat the refrigerated sausage with bell peppers, zucchini, and corn in a microwave oven for about 1 minute. Taste and reheat for 30 seconds more, if needed.
- Reheat on the stovetop. Reheat this dish in a large, high-sided skillet on the stovetop on low-medium heat for 2 or 3 minutes. Add a small amount of olive oil when reheating to prevent veggies and sausage from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
What to serve with sausage and veggies skillet
This is a complete meal all on its own and doesn't require any side dishes. However, if you do want some sides, here are a few delicious ideas:
- Rice. Use jasmine rice, flavored rice, and even cauliflower rice as a side dish.
- Quinoa. Prepare a small serving of quinoa and mix together with sausage and veggies.
- Potatoes. Roasted or mashed potatoes will pair well with this dish.
- Bread. Serve this easy recipe with something equally simple, such as a slice of store-bought, warm Italian bread, garlic bread, or olive bread loaf.
- Simple salad. I would suggest a basic spinach or arugula salad, probably sprinkled with toasted nuts, a small amount of shredded Parmesan or crumbled goat cheese, and dressed with your favorite salad dressing!
Other sausage recipes you might like
- Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Sausage and Spinach
- Creamy Sausage Tortellini with Spinach, Tomatoes, and Mozzarella cheese sauce
- Skillet Mac and Cheese with Sausage and Bell Peppers
Sausage and Veggies Skillet - 30 Minute, One-Pan Meal
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a cast-iron skillet on medium heat.
- Slice cooked sausage into coins and add to the skillet.
- Cook on medium heat in a cast-iron skillet for 5 minutes on one side, then flip over and cook for about 3 minutes on the other side. Remove from skillet to a large plate.
- You will have oil from the sausage. Leave some oil in the skillet for the veggies. Remove extra oil to a small, heat-proof bowl, and reserve.
- To the same, now empty, skillet add diced bell pepper, and cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat. You might have to add some of the reserved oil to the skillet to prevent veggies from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Remove cooked bell pepper to the same large plate with sausage.
- To the same, now empty, skillet add sliced zucchini, and cook for about 3 minutes on medium heat. You might have to add some of the reserved oil to the skillet to prevent veggies from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Slice corn kernels off the cob with a knife.
- In the same skillet combine together cooked sausage, cooked bell pepper, cooked zucchini, and cooked corn kernels. Mix everything well. Add reserved oil from cooked sausage, and mix. Add chili powder and reheat on low heat.
- Remove from heat. Top with chopped cilantro.
- Note: I don't think seasoning this dish with salt is necessary as the sausage is usually quite salty. However, use your best judgment and season with salt, if needed.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.