Avocado Corn Tomato Salad with Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing is an easy side dish that will pair well with any weeknight dinner. It is also great for picnics, potlucks, and BBQ parties. It works as an appetizer, side dish, or even as lunch. Make this salad in the summer or any time of year!
Avocado corn tomato salad - 30-minute recipe
This crowd-pleasing Summer side dish is loaded with fresh vegetables: sweet corn, juicy cherry tomatoes, and creamy avocado. Cooked chopped bacon and feta cheese take this recipe over the top. Add the homemade creamy cilantro-lime dressing, and you will be obsessed with this quick and easy summer salad!
Avocado Corn Tomato Salad works as an appetizer, side dish, or even as lunch! The recipe takes only 30 minutes. It can also be a meal in itself if you want it to be. This fresh and crisp salad is loaded with veggies and might become one of your family's favorite summer salads.
You will love how vibrant and colorful this recipe turns out! It's simple enough to serve as an everyday salad with your weeknight dinner, to make it ahead for lunch and snack, or to prepare for a special occasion. It's a perfect choice for your favorite summer events - backyard barbecues, picnics, potlucks, and block parties. Because Avocado Corn Tomato Salad uses basic ingredients, it can actually be made year-round!
Ingredients for the salad
- Sweet corn. Use 3 ears of corn or corn on the cob. Cook it in boiling water for 5 minutes. If you don't have fresh corn, use canned corn or frozen corn (defrosted).
- Tomatoes. Use red cherry or grape tomatoes, each sliced in half. Or, use fresh diced regular tomatoes.
- Avocado. Slice the avocado only when you are ready to serve the salad. This will keep the avocado vibrant and prevent it from browning too fast.
- Feta cheese. Feta cheese adds creaminess and tangy flavor to this summer salad.
- Cilantro. Use fresh cilantro and chop it really fine.
- Bacon. Pre-cook the bacon and chop it into small pieces. It's an optional ingredient, feel free to skip it.
Creamy cilantro-lime dressing
Tomato corn avocado salad pairs really well with a simple homemade creamy dressing. The ingredients include Greek yogurt (or sour cream), mayonnaise, lime juice freshly squeezed, Dijon mustard, finely chopped fresh cilantro, olive oil, and minced garlic. Combine all these ingredients together in a mason jar and whisk well.
How to make Avocado Corn Tomato Salad
- First, you will start by cooking fresh corn in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain the corn, let it cool, and then slice corn kernels off the cob with the knife.
- Next, in a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients: cherry tomatoes, avocado, corn, bacon, feta cheese, and fresh cilantro.
- Finally, top the salad with the homemade creamy cilantro-lime dressing and more chopped fresh cilantro!
What is the fastest way to cook corn on the cob?
In this recipe, we are boiling the corn on the cob in a pot of water. It's the fastest way to cook corn. Of course, you can grill or bake the corn on the cob, however, it will take a significantly longer time.
- If you grill the corn, it will take you about 20 minutes, plus you have to keep rotating the corn.
- If you bake the corn, it will take you 30 minutes in the preheated oven at 350 F.
- The fastest way to cook the corn is to boil it. Bring a pot of water to boil, which should take 5 minutes. Then, add corn ears (corn on the cob) and boil for 5 minutes.
How to boil corn on the cob
For the purposes of this recipe, the easiest way to cook corn is to simply boil it in water.
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Add the corn ears and boil for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and let the corn cool.
- Once the corn is cooled, cut the corn off the cob using a knife.
Variations and substitutions
Tomato corn avocado salad is very flexible and versatile, and there are so many ways to prepare it. Here are some tips:
- Tomatoes. Use grape or cherry tomatoes or regular chopped tomatoes.
- Cheese. You can use either crumbled Feta cheese or Cotija. Both taste delicious!
- Bacon. Skip the bacon, or use prosciutto or pancetta instead.
- Fresh corn is the best option, of course. Boil corn ears in a pot of water for 5 minutes, cool it off, then slice kernels off the cob with a knife.
- Frozen corn is a solution for when fresh corn is out of season or when you can't find fresh corn.
- Canned corn is also an option, however, the freshly cooked corn tastes the best!
- Garnish. Use fresh cilantro, chopped green onions, or chives as garnish.
- Salad dressing. Make a creamy cilantro-lime dressing as instructed in the recipe or use your own favorite store-bought or homemade creamy dressing. Ranch and buttermilk-based dressing work well here.
- Add-ins. Make this salad a complete meal by adding protein, such as grilled chicken, cooked shrimp, or fish. The avocado corn tomato salad also pairs well with pork and steak.
How to store it
- Store leftover salad in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, but no longer.
- Tip: If you plan on refrigerating the salad for a day or two, don't add avocado and creamy dressing. Add them right before serving.
What to serve with it
- Avocado corn tomato salad with creamy cilantro-lime dressing will make a beautiful addition to any family dinner and can be served with all types of summer meals, such as grilled meats, BBQ ribs, chicken, and other Summer dishes.
- You can also serve this salad alongside baked chicken, pasta recipes, and pizza dinners.
- Pair the corn tomato avocado salad with other spring and summer dinner recipes, such as sausage and veggies skillet or basil pesto chicken with tortellini and veggies (asparagus and tomatoes).
Other Summer salads
Avocado Corn Tomato Salad with Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing
Creamy Cilantro-Lime Salad Dressing
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 ears sweet corn husks and silks removed (corn on the cob)
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado diced
- 3 slices bacon cooked, chopped (optional)
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- In a mason jar, combine all salad dressing ingredients and whisk together well.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Cook corn for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain. Let it cool. Cut corn kernels off the cob with the knife.
- In a large bowl, combine corn kernels, halved cherry tomatoes, diced avocado, chopped cooked bacon (optional), crumbled feta cheese, half of chopped cilantro. Toss lightly to combine.
- Distribute the salad into individual salad bowls. Top with the creamy cilantro-lime salad dressing. Sprinkle the remaining chopped fresh cilantro on top.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.