Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers - stuffed with ground beef, black beans, rice, tomatoes, spiced just right with Mexican spices, topped with grated Cheddar and Mozzarella cheese. Baked in a meatless tomato sauce (right from the jar).
These delicious Mexican stuffed bell peppers make an amazing dinner! They are baked in tomato sauce because it doesn't let them dry up during baking process and also expands your options for serving. These stuffed bell peppers can be served as-is, on a regular plate without the tomato sauce:
Or, you can serve them in a bowl, with a little bit of the tomato sauce at the bottom, which makes beef and beans stuffed bell peppers more moist and flavorful - I prefer them that way:
How to make stuffed bell peppers
They are super easy to make - stuff the bell peppers with the filling (made with ground beef, rice, black beans, and tomatoes) according to the recipe, and place them in a baking dish:
Next, fill the baking dish with tomato sauce and sprinkle the bell peppers and the sauce with cheese:
Finally, cover with foil and bake bell peppers stuffed with ground beef and black beans until heated through! Enjoy!
Other Mexican inspired recipes
- Mexican Chicken Pasta - sliced chicken breast cooked in Mexican spices, with bell peppers and green chiles, and then smothered in a creamy sauce made with Cheddar and Mozzarella cheeses and spices.
- Mexican Street Corn Black Bean Chicken Bake - chicken breasts topped with Chili powder, corn kernels, black beans, Cotija cheese, and baked in the oven for about 25 minutes.
Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rice , cooked, or ½ cup rice (uncooked)
- 8 oz black beans from the can, rinsed
- 1 tomato , chopped into small slices
- 6 green bell peppers , medium size
- ⅔ cup tomato sauce (meatless marinara sauce)
- ⅔ cup water or use less - judge for yourself
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese , shredded
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the skillet on stove top until hot, add olive oil - it should sizzle. Immediately add ground beef and cook it constantly stirring intill nicely browned and cooked through. Remove from heat. Drain all excess fat. Add 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon salt to cooked ground beef, stir to combine.
- To the same skillet, off heat, add black beans, chopped tomatoes, and cooked rice. Note: make sure to rinse black beans really well and drain. Add more spices: 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon salt to beef, stir to combine.
- Prepare bell peppers for stuffing: cut the tops off, stem and seed them.
- Stuff each bell pepper with the filling. Fill the baking dish with marinara spaghetti sauce and up to ⅔ cups of water (don't pour all water at once - just pour enough to make the marinara sauce less dense). Place stuffed bell peppers tightly into prepared baking dish, cavity side up. In my case, I used 2 large bread pans. Top each pepper with both shredded Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese. Sprinkle some cheese over the tomato sauce too. Cover with foil
- Bake stuffed bell peppers for 30-40 minutes, until the peppers are tender and the filling is hot. Serve in shallow bowls, with some of tomato sauce on the bottom.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.