Roasted Asparagus with Almonds and Parmesan is an easy and quick 30-minute recipe. It's a perfect side dish for all kinds of main courses. It's also a great recipe for the holidays! This veggie dish is low-carb and keto-friendly.
Asparagus with almonds
Have you ever tried to serve roasted Parmesan asparagus with toasted sliced almonds? It's such a simple addition but it makes all the difference!
I've made this recipe several times and each time I receive surprisingly raving responses from everybody I served this to, even though this recipe is super simple. It takes just 30 minutes to make. And, you need only 5 ingredients + salt and pepper!
- First, the asparagus is topped with minced garlic, shredded Parmesan cheese, and toasted sliced almonds.
- Then it's roasted in the oven until crispy and the cheese melts.
- Finally, while the asparagus is still warm, it's topped with extra toasted sliced almonds.
- What you have in the end is a beautiful presentation and a delicious side dish!
What kind of cheese to use?
Use the type of cheese that melts nicely in the oven and adds great flavor.
- Parmesan is a popular choice, it melts nicely and adds great flavor and saltiness.
- Gruyere is the next best choice. Gruyere cheese is a Swiss cheese with a distinctive flavor and it's great for melting. This cheese is often used for fondues as well as in a traditional French onion soup. I have made roasted asparagus with Gruyere and bacon.
- Asiago cheese is very flavorful and works well with asparagus. It also melts beautifully into a smooth, silky texture.
How much cheese to use?
I use 1 cup of freshly shredded Parmesan cheese over 1 pound of asparagus. It's a lot of cheese. If you prefer your asparagus even more cheesy, feel free to increase the amount of cheese by an additional ½ cup or double the amount of cheese.
What kind of almonds to use?
- Use sliced almonds. Many grocery stores sell pre-sliced almonds.
- Toast the almonds. Toast sliced almonds on a parchment-lined baking sheet in the preheated oven at 350 F for about 5 minutes, checking frequently to make sure they don't burn. Do it in advance.
Ingredients you need
You only need 5 basic ingredients + salt and pepper:
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese
How to make asparagus with almonds
1) First, preheat the oven to 400 F. Trim the dry ends of the asparagus. Place asparagus in a medium-size casserole dish.
2) Drizzle the asparagus with 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper, top with minced garlic.
3) Roast for 10 minutes, uncovered, at 400 F.
4) Top with half of shredded Parmesan cheese.
5) Top with half of the toasted sliced almonds.
6) Top with the remaining half of shredded Parmesan cheese.
7) Roast the asparagus, uncovered, for about 10 or 15 minutes in the preheated oven at 400 F. Remove from the oven.
8) Top with the remaining half of toasted sliced almonds.
Other asparagus side dishes
Do you enjoy cheesy asparagus goodness? Here are a few more delicious ideas:
- Baked Asparagus with Gruyere Cheese and Bacon - a great side dish to try!
- Asparagus with Blue Cheese and Bacon - if you love blue cheese, give this recipe a try!
- Ham and Cheese Asparagus - this dish doubles as both a side dish and the main course!
- Asiago Cheese Asparagus with Bacon - a perfect side dish for all kinds of meat and fish.
Asparagus with Almonds and Parmesan
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- ½ cup almonds sliced, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Trim asparagus ends. Place asparagus in a medium-size casserole dish, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Top with minced garlic.
- Roast for 10 minutes, uncovered, at 400 F.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle half of shredded Parmesan cheese all over the asparagus. Top with half of the toasted almonds. Top with the remaining half of shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Roast for 10 or 15 minutes, uncovered, at 400 F.
- Serve immediately while the cheese is nice and melty!
- Sprinkle with the remaining toasted sliced almonds while the cheese is still warm.
- Use a whole bunch of asparagus. It is usually 1 lb or 1.5 lb. Trim off the dry ends of asparagus before adding it to the baking dish.
- Thin asparagus works best in this recipe.
- Pre-prepare the ingredients. Toast sliced almonds in advance. Chop or mince fresh garlic. Shred the cheese.
- How to toast almonds in the oven. Toast sliced almonds on a parchment-lined baking sheet in the preheated oven at 350 F for about 5 minutes, checking frequently to make sure they don't burn. Do it in advance.
- What other cheese can you use besides Parmesan? Use the cheese that will melt nicely. This includes Gruyere or Asiago.
- Do not overcook the asparagus. Roast the asparagus for no more than a total of 20 minutes. Make sure the oven is preheated to 400 F.
- Step-by-step photos. I have provided quite a few step-by-step photos on how to make asparagus with almonds above the recipe card.
- Storage. Roasted asparagus can be refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- How to reheat. After refrigerating this dish, you can reheat it briefly in the microwave oven to melt the cheese. Or, bake it briefly in a regular oven when ready to serve. You can sprinkle extra cheese over the asparagus before reheating.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.