Cilantro-Lime Black Bean Shrimp and Rice

shrimp and rice, cilantro lime rice, black bean rice, healthy recipes, healthy dinners

Cilantro-Lime Black Bean Shrimp and Rice – easy, light dinner, with so much flavor!  Prep takes only 10 minutes, you cook everything in one pan (about 30 minutes total), and the cleanup is really minimal (only one pan to clean!)

how to cook shrimp, how to cook rice, black bean cilantro lime rice, gluten free dinner, gluten free recipes

It’s Summer, and I really crave simple, light recipes that are perfect to eat in the hot weather. This shrimp + rice dish is perfect for warm Summer nights.

best shrimp recipes, seafood recipes, jumbo shrimp, shrimp recipes, easy shrimp recipes

I used large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined. The shrimp is cooked in olive oil with minced garlic and then coated with fresh lime juice and cilantro  – YUM!  It is then nestled on top of cilantro-lime black bean rice.

how to cook shrimp, easy shrimp recipes, best shrimp recipes, Mediterranean recipes, Italian recipes

best shrimp recipes, cilantro lime shrimp, healthy shrimp recipes, healthy dinner recipes, gluten free dinner recipes

Here is how to cook this shrimp rice:  First, cook raw shrimp, sprinkled with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, and minced garlic in a large skillet on medium heat, stirring once or twice, on medium heat, about 3-4 minutes total, until pink in color. Remove shrimp from the skillet to a plate.

how to cook shrimp, shrimp recipes, seafood recipes

To the same (now empty) skillet, add chicken broth, water, uncooked rice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Add vegetable or chicken broth and rice

Add garlic to the broth with rice

cilantro-lime black bean rice, rice skillet, best rice, how to cook rice, jasmine rice, long rice

Mix to combine:

cilantro lime, black beans, how to cook rice, best jasmine rice, best long rice, easy rice recipe

shrimp recipes, seafood recipes, how to cook rice, shrimp and rice, seafood rice, gluten free dinner

Cilantro-Lime Black Bean Shrimp and Rice

Cilantro-Lime Black Bean Shrimp and Rice

Shrimp
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • Rice
  • 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
  • 1 cup uncooked Jasmine rice (or use any rice that says on the package that it takes 15 minutes to cook it)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed + extra
  • 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed, drained
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped + extra

Shrimp
  1. Heat large skillet until hot on medium heat. Add olive oil - it should run easily but not sizzle or burn. Add shrimp and minced garlic to the skillet, making sure it doesn't crowd, sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes over shrimp. Cook shrimp, stirring once or twice, on medium heat, about 3-4 minutes total, until pink in color.
  2. Remove shrimp from the skillet to a plate.
  3. Rice
  4. To the same (now empty) skillet, add chicken broth, uncooked rice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil. Mix everything well. Reduce the heat to low boil simmer. Cover the skillet with the lid. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, covered, until the rice is cooked through. You might need to add 1/2 cup of water if your rice is not completely cooked through.
  5. Mix in the lime juice, rinsed and drained black beans, and fresh cilantro into the cooked rice.
  6. Add extra lime juice (about 1 tablespoon) and extra chopped fresh cilantro to the plate with shrimp, mix to coat shrimp with lime juice and cilantro. Add the shrimp to the skillet with rice and gently reheat.

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN’

• Kristi Lenzen July 16, 2016, 7:25 pm

Just made this. Absolutely to die for! So good!!

• Kristi Lenzen July 16, 2016, 7:30 pm

We made this tonight. Absolutely amazing!! SO delicious!!

• Amber July 18, 2016, 6:19 pm

I must’ve done something wrong because it was a little bland and mushy.

• Marissa July 25, 2016, 8:30 pm

Sorry but this recipe didn’t turn out right. The rice was way too mushy. The water probably shouldn’t have been added and the rice should have been toasted before. Sad about it.

• Jessica September 18, 2016, 2:31 pm

I was taught to cook rice…first you saute then for every cup of rice you add 1 and 1/2 cup of fluids…comes out fluffy everytime. If it’s mushy…to much water ot you didnt let the water dissolve before placing the lid and lowering the heat.

• ALEXANDRIA GONZALEZ July 26, 2016, 12:47 pm

Could I make this with brown rice?

• Shan November 11, 2016, 8:26 pm

I made it with brown rice and it turned out just fine!

• Julia December 20, 2016, 5:27 pm

Yes, brown rice should work, just follow the rice cooking instructions on the package not to overcook the rice.

• Marlene July 29, 2016, 7:28 am

Do I just use the beans straight from the can or boil them first?

• SPorter August 7, 2016, 7:22 pm

I made this dish today was and it was incredible! I left out the water… which kept the rice from being mushy and was able to feed a family of 5 for less than $25. I would definitely make this dish again!

• Laurie August 14, 2016, 7:07 pm

I was derailed from cooking so my husband (who rarely cooks) made this tonight. He declared that it was easy, it was very quick, and we all thought it was delicious! Thank you for the great recipe!

• Heide Forsythe August 15, 2016, 2:00 pm

Substitute Quinoia for the rice! Yum!

• Kayla August 16, 2016, 1:25 am

Just made this, I didn’t use chicken broth. It came out good! I also added fried sweet plantains.

• Kori August 16, 2016, 8:09 pm

Made this tonight — 8/16/16 — and it is very good. The problem others had with their rice is probably because of the rice they used and/or their skillet. My rice actually took longer to cook, as it was still hard after 15 mins (my brown rice probably was a little stale). Just watch your rice and test it regularly if need be. I also may have added a little more lime juice than called for (just poure from a bottle), but I didn’t add any salt, so it probably evens out. 😉 Again, very good. Will make it again!

• blaine August 18, 2016, 7:09 pm

Any ideas for adding a little crunch to this? I felt like that was the only element missing. Otherwise, a very delicious dish!

• Teena August 26, 2016, 11:10 am

I bet slivered almonds would be good in this.

• Nicole September 8, 2016, 7:08 pm

Tostadas or tortilla chips would be perfect for adding crunch. Almonds sound good, too 🙂

• Lauren August 19, 2016, 3:50 pm

Very yummy. I made this a few days ago. I didn’t have any problem when using jasmine rice. I used a cast iron skillet. Next time I cook it, which I definitely will be doing, I would use a different skillet. My shrimp didn’t get that nice seared look and taste.

• Pat August 29, 2016, 9:20 pm

Made this recipe tonight. It was okay but definitely felt something was missing. Not sure I’ll make it again.

• Cyndie August 23, 2016, 1:59 pm

I made this – it was wonderful! I used Jasmine rice and the texture was perfect. I did make one small change – added a little Cajun seasoning at the end because it was otherwise a little bland. Everyone loved it!

• Melissa August 27, 2016, 10:27 pm

This recipe cane out even more delicious than it looked. I didn’t use raw shrimp it was frozen but it worked all the same. And I didn’t have jasmine rice just regular long grain white rice so I added knorr chicken seasoning to add some flavor. I’ll definitely be making this one again!

• Angelica September 5, 2016, 9:22 pm

Made this as a prep meal for the bf & I, wow! I had made this previously but without chicken stock, what a difference it makes! I am in love with recipes as this, where you can just throw a few ingredients together and end up with mouth full of flavor. Thank you! This will def be a rotation forever!

• Shellie September 20, 2016, 9:44 am

This was a HUGE HIT for all five of us, and that is a very high standard! The fresh lime juice is a must, it makes the whole meal. Thanks for this, I’ll be trying other recipes of yours. With three school-age kids and two full-time working parents, we need all the quick, healthy and delicious meals we can find. YUM.

• Kim H September 22, 2016, 2:40 am

I just found and pinned this last week, did my grocery shopping today, and made this tonight for dinner. Raves all around! My daughter thought it was better than another family favorite shrimp dish I’ve made, and my husband likes that this one is overall pretty healthy. Simple to make and easy ingredients I would normally have around the house, all I would need to buy is the fresh shrimp. 8 thumbs up from my family, we’ll be keeping this one around!

• Razika September 25, 2016, 8:15 pm

I made this for dinner and it came out fabulous!!! I added fresh green beans, extra garlic, and plenty more lime juice and my family loved it!!! And it was a beautiful looking dish! Thanks!

• Emily October 18, 2016, 7:00 pm

Awesome, followed recipe to the T and it was awesome!

• Gary October 27, 2016, 9:39 pm

Made this tonight was great will add more black beans next time l did leave out the water rice was perfect . ALSO made some Pico DE Gallo with sliced avocado and .corn tortillas

• Jasmin Spencer October 30, 2016, 5:51 pm

Just made this for dinner and it came out great . Instead of adding the water I just added the same amount of chicken broth and rice (ex: 2 cups of rice = 2 cups of chicken broth) . Will be making this again

• Brandy November 6, 2016, 7:12 pm

So good!

• Julia December 20, 2016, 5:48 pm

Thank you! So glad you liked it!

• Shelley November 22, 2016, 12:17 am

Very yummy, healthy and quick! One of the few pins I’ve actually made and it was definitely worth it. I will make it again!

• Julia December 17, 2016, 8:31 pm

Thank you, Shelley, for taking your time to leave a comment! So glad you liked this dish!

• Esmeralda Villarreal December 3, 2016, 5:01 pm

I made this to take as a pot luck dish to a friend’s house on Thanksgiving, it was a very big hit! I did change the cook times just a bit because when I make rice in normally it takes me 20 mins of cook time with jasmine rice and that is using 1/2 cup less fluid. I also used a bit more seasoning in the rice, some cumin and a tablespoon of Knorr chicken bouillon and it came out superb. I was even told later by my friend that his two sons were still raving about how delicious it was. Is it just me or why is it that compliments from teenage boys are more believable and hold more weight? Lol anyhow, I WILL be making this recipe again!

• Julia December 17, 2016, 7:48 pm

Thank you, Esmeralda, I am so glad you and your friends liked it! Thank you for your feedback and your suggestions.

• CK December 10, 2016, 8:48 pm

I made my rice based on the directions on the package and substituted the chicken broth for water. I did not add this recipe’s additional 1/2 cup water. I combined everything and it was perfect. Don’t make the jasmine rice according to this recipe; you will get “mushy” rice.

• Julia December 17, 2016, 7:19 pm

Thank you for your feedback!

• Michael December 11, 2016, 8:08 pm

This recipe is freakin’ FABULOUS!!! I wouldn’t change a thing.

• Julia December 17, 2016, 7:18 pm

Thank you! So glad you liked it!

• Kristina December 11, 2016, 9:40 pm

I made this tonight and it was very good , however as others have mentioned I will omit the 1/2 cup of water, it made the rice mushy.

• Julia December 17, 2016, 7:18 pm

I updated the recipe to make 1/2 cup of water optional, based on your and others’ feedback.

• Amanda December 13, 2016, 7:22 pm

Made this tonight!!!! Delicious!!!!!

• Julia December 17, 2016, 7:07 pm

Thank you! I am glad you liked it, Amanda!

• Julia December 17, 2016, 7:17 pm

Thank you, Amanda!

• Jane December 19, 2016, 8:55 am

Made this the other night pretty much according to the directions. We thought it was delicious! The rice needed to cook slightly longer but it just needed to be watched and tested. I’ve shared the recipe with my daughters as I’m sure they would like it too.

• Julia December 22, 2016, 12:40 pm