Creamy Four Cheese Garlic Spaghetti Sauce

homemade spaghetti sauce, how to make spaghetti, easy spaghetti sauce

Homemade Creamy Four Cheese Garlic Spaghetti Sauce is the best white cheese Italian pasta sauce you’ll ever try!  Four-Cheese Blend includes Mozzarella, White Cheddar, Provolone, Asiago cheeses.

best spaghetti sauce, how to make spaghetti sauce, easy pasta sauce, pasta cream sauce, how to make pasta sauce

If you ever wondered how to make spaghetti sauce other than with spaghetti and meatballs, then try this white cheese sauce for your next pasta dinner!

gluten free pasta, gluten free spaghetti sauce, homemade pasta sauce, best pasta sauce, italian spaghetti sauce, italian pasta sauce

READ ON the recipe instructions below on how to make this easy pasta sauce:

Creamy Four Cheese Garlic Spaghetti Sauce

Creamy Four Cheese Garlic Spaghetti Sauce

• Follow Julia on Pinterest and Facebook to get more recipes and dinner ideas for your weekly meal planning!

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 8 oz spaghetti
  • 1 cup cooked pasta water
  • 1 chicken bullion cube
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 and 1/2 cups of Four-Cheese Italian White Cheese Blend (Mozzarella, White Cheddar, Provolone, Asiago)
  • parsley or chives or green onions, finely chopped

1. Heat olive oil and butter on medium heat in a large skillet, add minced garlic and coo for about 1 minute on medium heat, without burning.
  2. Cook pasta in a separate pan, drain. Reserve some of cooked pasta water. Dissolve 1 cube of chicken broth bullion in 1 cup of hot pasta water.
  3. Add pasta water (with the dissolved chicken broth bullion cube in it), heavy cream, and cooked spaghetti to the skillet with cooked garlic. Bring to boil, stirring. Once the liquids are boiling, immediately add cheese and keep stirring everything together (spaghetti and the cream), while boiling, until cheese melts and coats pasta, for about 1 minute. Reduce to simmer and continue to cook, constantly stirring, to thicken the sauce - for another minute or two.
  4. To serve, top each serving with finely chopped chives, or green onions, or parsley

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN’

• Monique June 1, 2015, 10:25 pm

Oh my Julia…yum..a cheese pasta feast.

• sarah k @ the pajama chef June 2, 2015, 10:25 am

this sauce sounds amazing! all that cheese. mmm!

• Kayle (The Cooking Actress) June 2, 2015, 5:32 pm

mmmm mmmm mmm this pasta sauce looks like perfection!

• Juliana June 4, 2015, 12:20 am

Great pasta sauce…I like the combination of the many varieties of cheese…yum!
    Enjoy the rest of the week Julia 🙂

• Stephanie June 4, 2015, 3:58 am

Julia this looks amazing and I’d love to try it, but truly truly hate butter/margarine. I have no problem with cream/oil/ etc. is there anyway to substitute the tablespoon of butter in this? Thank you so much!

• Tabitha November 29, 2015, 4:42 am

I know you’re look for Julia’s reply but I’ll toss my 2 cents in. I tend to use plain greek yogurt as a butter substitute. Avocado can make a nice butter substitute as well due to its buttery, creamy texture after you mash it.

• Julia November 30, 2015, 12:17 am

Stephanie,

You can skip the butter altogether, and just use 1 tablespoon of oil. Or, if you don’t want any butter or any oil, just skip them both, and add garlic to the liquid ingredients right away – it will be cooked enough not to have a very strong flavor.

• KTR January 1, 2016, 2:31 pm

Im shocked at how many people really can’t figure out substitutions/amounts/ fat cal content. I’m not math whiz but break out your calculator people. jeeez! My main worry is that after cooking the pasta fully- to cook it more (esp at a boil) will overcook it. Will just make sauce and then incorporate pasta to make sure everything is al dente as it should be.

• Gramma Sue July 5, 2016, 8:29 pm

Al dente is a peesonal preference. Might be yours, but not everyone’s. Your comment was not very nice.

• Jude Morse April 6, 2016, 6:17 pm

There is only 1 T. Butter & you can’t even taste it but is needed for all the other yummy stuff that goes in it. And yes, for those that asked, I can’t find heavy creme either so I used heavy whipping creme.

• Ruth October 28, 2016, 3:42 pm

whipping cream and heavy cream are the same thing.

• Daniela June 7, 2015, 4:00 am

Oh Julia, this pasta looks so good and creamy- can I have a bite please 🙂

• Marry An June 13, 2015, 10:13 pm

Wonderful. I think I will try making it for dinner tomorrow. Thank you!

• Tricia June 15, 2015, 6:32 pm

Is that a shredded cheese blend? I’ve always thought melted shredded makes it stringy. Just curious where to look for that particular blend at the store.

• Shannon September 12, 2015, 8:34 pm

I just made this using shredded cheese blend and it was stringy and when it cooled just a touch the cheese was in one large lump instead of coating the pasta 🙁

• Angela January 14, 2016, 5:35 pm

Shannon, I have made cheese sauces like mornay, alfredo, and carbonara many, many times, and I think the reason for your issue with the cheese is that the method in this recipe is a touch risky. I would not allow the sauce to boil after the cheese has been added, because too much heat when melting cheese causes the fat and the protein in the cheese to separate and the proteins to contract, leaving a coagulated mess of dairy solids seized in a clump. Instead, I would bring the liquid ingredients just to a boil, then remove from the heat completely. Add the hot pasta, followed by the cheese in handfuls while constantly stirring. There will be plenty of heat to melt the cheese.

• Julia November 30, 2015, 12:13 am

Yes, that’s the shredded cheese blend. I’ve used one of the most common brands found in a regular grocery store and it worked great! I find that shredded cheese usually melts beautifully.

• Maria February 21, 2016, 3:16 pm

Im still stuck on how to make the sause

• Cat June 19, 2015, 4:29 am

You might give me a fantastic idea for tonight dinner! Thanks!
    cat

• Marie June 19, 2015, 3:21 pm

Sounds delish! For a butter substitute you could try 1/2 T Coconut Oil – if you use one that isn’t too coconutty.

• Barbara June 20, 2015, 3:13 pm

Is that one and a half cups of each cheese

• Julia November 30, 2015, 12:11 am

No, that’s 1 and 1/2 cups of the cheese blend, not of each cheese separately. You’ll just use 1 and 1/2 cups of the blend.

• Debbie July 1, 2015, 8:00 pm

very good! We had it with grilled chicken.

• Sarah July 8, 2015, 7:05 pm

I just made this tonight and it was fantastic! The only thing I would have done differently is add more spaghetti, there was a lot more sauce than noodles!

• Julia November 30, 2015, 12:09 am

Yes, there is a lot of sauce for the noodles! I always feel like there is never enough sauce so I made sure that the sauce outweighed the noodles here! 🙂

• Kim July 14, 2015, 9:54 am

This was delicious! Made it with Roasted Garlic Chicken and the fam loved both!! A great pairing!!

• Julia November 30, 2015, 12:08 am

Roasted Garlic Chicken – what a nice addition to a creamy pasta dish – YUM!

• Deb July 25, 2015, 7:27 pm

I made this dish tonight for dinner. Amazing and I didn’t change a thing on the recipe. Absolutely perfect as written! Thanks Julia!!!!

• Julia November 30, 2015, 12:08 am

Deb – thank you! Great to hear you enjoyed the recipe!

• Amanda July 28, 2015, 7:00 pm

this looks really good. Can I use whipping cream instead of heavy cream? Couldn’t find any heavy cream..thanks!

• Denise November 17, 2015, 7:46 pm

I can never find heavy cream. Half and half and whipping cream are good substitutes.

• Julia November 30, 2015, 12:07 am

Yes, you an use whipping cream instead of heavy cream!

• ruth October 28, 2016, 3:41 pm

Heavy Cream and Whipping Cream are the same.

• wadha September 17, 2015, 1:50 pm

is there a substitute for the cheese? I couldnt find the 4 cheese blend anywhere 🙁

• Mary October 13, 2015, 6:29 pm

I tried this with low fat cheese and as I suspected it doesn’t really melt well but rather clumps together. I would make it again but not with low fat cheese. The flavor was good.

• Kelly October 19, 2015, 2:34 pm

This was really good!! My 5yr old son is so picky and he begged me to make it again soon after only a few bites! My only complaint was that it started to get a bit sticky, but I think I may have left it on the heat a little too long because I was waiting for my family to get home! We had it with just peas and garlic bread, but I love the idea of having it with some chicken! Thank you for this recipe!

• Aw October 21, 2015, 11:11 am

Do you know the calories for this dish?
    Thanks

• Sam December 15, 2015, 2:17 pm

It would depend on brands used, added ingredients etc. I use myfitnesspal, and it has a great calculator for recipes. Eg a recipe has 2 cups flour and 1/2 c butter (plus whatever ingredients) you can type in that you used Bobs red mill whole wheat flour and Parkay margarine. Also has barcode scanner for the app. It’s free, i love it !

• Melanie November 12, 2015, 11:29 am

Why no responses to some very valid questions? Or can I not see them for some reason? If you are responding by email, you’re robbing the rest of us who have the same questions.

• T November 13, 2015, 12:42 pm

I like the idea of adding the bullion cube to the cup of pasta water, but my sauce came out too thin. I usually make a roo first. (Flour and butter). However, I did use whole milk rather than cream, and that may have been a factor. Also, I used Gouda cheese (Costco) with the mozzarella and cheddar and it was yummy!

• Jen November 23, 2015, 12:51 pm

This was Delicious! We added grilled chicken and substituted the spaghetti with linguini fini. It was a hit the whole family enjoyed! Thanks for sharing. =)

• Julia November 30, 2015, 12:05 am

Jen, so glad you liked it! Grilled chicken sounds like a perfect addition to this pasta!

• Cindy November 28, 2015, 1:36 pm

I tried it and I could not great my cheese to melt. It ended up being a big glob of glue! What did I do wrong?

The cheese that did melt made a good sauce though.

• Julia November 30, 2015, 12:04 am

Cindy, the cheese could end up being a big glob if you don’t bring up the liquid to a boiling point. Did you bring the liquid to a boil before adding cheese? The liquids should be hot, then add the cheese gradually, sprinkling it over the liquid and mixing it in. After adding all the cheese and the initial stir, reduce heat to low and continue stirring. This should result in a nice creamy sauce.

• Lisset November 28, 2015, 10:31 pm

That was soooooo good!
    Made this tonight. I added peas because I was too lazy to make a salad and topped it with breaded lemon chicken. It was amazing, better than anything you’d get at a restaurant. Will definitely make it again…and again and again. Yum!

• Julia November 30, 2015, 12:00 am

Thank you – I am so glad you liked it! Peas are a great addition!

• Kat November 29, 2015, 7:18 pm

This is amazing! I made this tonight for my husband and very picky teenager. The only change I made was to add smoked turkey (leftover from Thanksgiving), and they both asked to have it again soon!

• Sabrina November 30, 2015, 8:06 pm

I made this tonight and it was very flavorful. Next time I may add some zucchini and squash!! I did top it with dried Italian seasoning and it was wonderful. Thanks so much!

• Beth November 30, 2015, 9:01 pm

I made this tonight, it was delicious! I had issues with the cheese not incorporating well so next time I will probably make a roux with a little flour added to the butter/oil/garlic. I added left over chopped Thanksgiving turkey with some peas. Made it similar to Turkey Tetrazzini. Sauce was generous in proportion to the noodles as others have commented. Overall, I WILL be making this again. It was very very good!

• court December 1, 2015, 3:57 pm

Very good! I added salt, pepper, chives & tarragon and topped the pasta with seared & sliced ribeye and fresh green beans. YUMMY!!!

• Aimee December 1, 2015, 5:25 pm

Very good! Quick and easy. I added peas and strips of boneless chicken. Served with garlic bread. Five-year-old loved it!

• Jerry December 2, 2015, 8:25 am

Looks so good have to try

• Michelle December 8, 2015, 5:50 pm

Can I use evaporated milk instead of heavy cream?

• Jen December 8, 2015, 8:39 pm

Could you substitute chicken broth for the bullion cube?

• Michelle May 4, 2016, 7:46 pm

You could, but then you wouldn’t have the starch from the pasta to aid in thickening the sauce.

• Michelle December 10, 2015, 6:22 pm

I’ve made this recipe several times already and we absolutely love it!! It is easy but so good!! Thank you so much for a easy, family friendly recipe!!!

• Christine Robertson December 10, 2015, 10:42 pm

Do you have the nutrition info on this? I’m serious as to the calorie / fat content. Thanks!

• Carrie Varner December 11, 2015, 5:23 pm

Hello! I am missing where and when to add the flour! Please help. 🙂

• Michelle December 21, 2015, 5:08 am

Feeding 7 people. Do I just double recipe exactly? Will there be enough for seconds?

• Penny h December 24, 2015, 5:55 pm

Without the blend I prefer to shred my own, just get 3 or 4 great cheeses and shred, much better you will find!

• Eva December 27, 2015, 6:47 pm

Delicious!!! I prepared exactly to the recipe and will be making this again! You can serve it as a side dish. I had it with steamed broccoli and cauliflower and it went great with those. (I used store bought-name brand Italian cheese shredded blend.)

• Tina December 31, 2015, 10:07 am

This was really good. I added some chopped chicken. But my husband and I agreeded it was taste great with shrimp.

• kerry January 3, 2016, 7:07 pm

added cooked chicken and sauteed mushrooms, this was OMG good, will definetly do again, maybe more garlic 😉

• Shelly January 4, 2016, 10:03 am

How can I incorporate shrimp in this recipie??

• Heather January 14, 2016, 4:43 pm

I made this last night and the garlic was so overpowering we could not eat it. It looked amazing but tasted horrible.

• Renee January 25, 2016, 9:58 pm

Made this tonight for dinner and my pickiest eater loved it! Thank you for sharing !

• Gina January 30, 2016, 3:46 pm

Easy and quick. Great base pasta for a multitude of add-ons and toppings. I added a little creole seasoning to mine topped with either shrimp or ckn.

• Juanita February 8, 2016, 6:29 pm

Can I make the sauce by itself??? Then pour it over the noodles???

• Jennifer February 10, 2016, 9:44 pm

Thanks for the recipe! This was really good, but cleaning the pan was not fun 😀

• Margarita February 25, 2016, 8:55 pm

Can i use half&half instead of heavy cream?

• Paul March 2, 2016, 7:35 pm

Hello Julia, I am a former Deputy Sheriff and Police Officer who loves to cook. I saw your recipe and decided to make it for dinner tonight. My wife and I loved it and it was so simple with a great flavor, kinda of reminded me of shrimp scampi. Great job stay safe and above all God bless!

• Sheetal March 17, 2016, 8:17 am

Is there a substitute for the bouillon cube to get the same flavor? I am a vegetarian and I don’t have any chicken or vegetarian bouillon cube. Thanks! Looks yummy!

• Nathan March 25, 2016, 2:36 am

It was a total success! Made for friends and they loved the pasta! I think next time to add to it, some broccoli and if wanting to make a meal some chicken. Made with green beans and garlic/red pepper flakes/lemon zest and a perfect meal with a bottle of wine. Thank you!

• Phyllis Garard March 29, 2016, 12:26 am

I think I would put Sauteed boneless skinless chicken breast on the top in part because my husband has to have meat or he’s not happy LOL looks yummy

• Dana April 11, 2016, 8:31 pm

Just made this for dinner with shrimp scampi and salad. Oh so delicious. Everyone loved it!

• Charity April 21, 2016, 7:52 pm

This recipe is so delicious! I just ate it and it totally made my day! I’m going to eat it by itself and also use it as a base for a lot of other pasta combos. Thank you so much! And my toddler loves it!!! Yay!

• Angela Wicker April 25, 2016, 12:01 pm

I’m excited to try this tonight…I’m a beginner in the kitchen so hopefully I do this meal justice! I’ve got a Mexican blend of cheese in the fridge do you think that would be okay??

• Julia June 28, 2016, 11:26 pm

Mexican blend will work too and it will be delicious, but with a different kind of flavor, of course.

• Linda May 3, 2016, 10:54 am

This is BY FAR the best non-red pasta sauce I have ever had! Maybe it’s even the best pasta sauce ever! I hate it when people rave about a recipe but have changed the original, but that is what I did…but only a little bit. I used garlic powder instead of cloves. I used bouillon granules instead of a cube. Half and half instead of heavy cream. Finally, I put the butter into the pasta water mixture instead of using it to brown the garlic. I used Aldi’s finely shredded ITalian 5 cheese mix. It was AMAZING! Thanks!

• Julia June 28, 2016, 11:25 pm

Thank you, Linda! Great substitutions. I am glad you enjoyed this pasta sauce. 🙂

• Michelle May 4, 2016, 7:55 pm

Made this tonight and it was good with some tweaking. As written, it is actually quite bland with only garlic for seasoning. The bagged cheese blend is probably partially to blame. If you grate some quality cheese I’m sure it would be greatly improved. I threw in some black pepper, some extra garlic, etc. Some crushed red pepper could work really well in this too.

• Julia June 28, 2016, 11:23 pm

Thank you, Michelle, and also don’t forget to add just the right amount of salt – I am always surprised by what a difference it makes to season your dish just right with salt. If you undersalt your pasta sauce – it’s too bland. If you salt it just right – it brings out all the other flavors and amplifies them.

• Dorothy Brading Kaiser June 1, 2016, 7:41 pm

I found your recipe online today. We are having it for dinner. I’m here to tell you that it is just delicious. Even my finicky grandson loved it. Thank you.

• Julia June 28, 2016, 11:21 pm

Dorothy, so glad to hear that you and your grandson liked it! 🙂

• Cecilia ventris June 11, 2016, 6:37 pm

I made the creamy four cheese garlic spaghetti sauce and it is oh so good! It tastes better than anything I’ve ever gotten at Olive Garden LOL

• Julia June 28, 2016, 11:20 pm

Thank you so much, Cecilia, I am glad you loved it! 🙂

• Susan June 22, 2016, 2:36 pm

I made this tonight for supper. It’s delicious. Thank you!

• Julia July 1, 2016, 8:56 pm

Thank you, Susan!

• Alma Dolce June 23, 2016, 6:08 am

Simple to whip together and great flavors. I used fresh Italian parsley and Asiago cheese (my personal preference). I also added mushrooms while sauteing the garlic. Next time I may add some diced tomatoes at the very end right before serving, for a beautiful burst of color.

• Connie Kidder July 6, 2016, 10:05 pm

I made this tonight. I used my own cheeses because I went shopping after glancing the recipe. I used Asiago , mozzarella , provolone and Parmesan . I shredded cheese fine. She is right about watching garlic, could easily burn. I followed rest of recipe and it was very very good, and incredibly easy. I did take off heat to add cheese, I have seen the cheese globs before, yuk. My husband is very picky ( doesn’t like Alfredo ) who doesn’t like Alfredo? Salad and garlic bread, yum yum will make again for sure. You could add halved grape tomatoes and or broccoli .
    Thanks Julia

• Julia July 9, 2016, 3:15 pm

Thanks, Connie! I am glad you liked it. 🙂 Good for you for shredding your own cheese – I usually do that too. Yes, halved grape tomatoes and broccoli would make a great addition!

• Audrey July 14, 2016, 10:18 pm

Well, I don’t think an “italian cheese blend” is something you can buy premade where I live, at least from what I’ve seen. Exotic cheeses are also crazy expensive, because the dairy industry here is insanely possessive and territorial and has managed almost entirely stop the government from importing any sort of dairy from other countries. Plus if I buy a chunk of it most of it ends up going to waste because I can’t use it quickly enough. Only mozzarella and cheddar readily available.

Nonetheless, this recipe still turned out well even though I only used mozza and cheddar. I used vegetable broth instead of chicken though because my household is vegetarian… I also didn’t have chives, parsely or green onions, so it ended up being a much more simplistic cheese sauce, but it was still delicious. I will have to try it again when I can get to the vegetable market. Thank you for sharing this!

• Talia July 20, 2016, 3:37 pm

I made this last night and it didn’t turn out right at all, I followed the instructions to the letter but it was way WAY too garlic-y!! The stench of the garlic permeated the whole house and it was so strong we couldn’t eat it. 🙁

• Trudy Hibler August 3, 2016, 5:36 am

I only recently ran across this recipe and made it as directed with the exception of the cheese blend. I couldn’t find the four cheese blend, but did find a five cheese blend. I like to try recipes as written the first time around, then make any desired…note I didn’t say “necessary”…changes later. Food is such a personal preference, isn’t it? It was fabulous! The cheese melted beautifully, the sauteed garlic added just enough garlic flavor without being overwhelming. I served it as a main dish with hot rolls and a vegetable mix for color. The family loved it! It was so easy, too, just my type of meal. It’s going on my regular rotation. Thanks!

• Molly August 26, 2016, 12:01 am

Made this pasta tonight …using cream cheese because I didn’t have cream and mozzarella (I added a little more liquid than recipe) then served lightly italian breaded chicken breasts on top….. delicious!! My first recipe off of pinterest that tasted as good as the picture looked! Thank you!

• Aimee R August 29, 2016, 4:58 pm

Is it possible to substitute milk or an alternative to milk instead of heavy cream? We don’t normally have that on hand. Thanks!

• Ann Pierce September 2, 2016, 8:14 pm

My husband loved this! The first time I made it I thought it was too rich, so the second time I added a little more salt and a little less sugar.

• Jen September 23, 2016, 6:10 pm

Just made this tonight for dinner and it was very tasty! The only thing I did different was I used a 6 Italian cheese mix and I sautéed some chicken in some olive oil with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and added that to the pasta when done. I used chives for my green at the end. My husband prefers red sauce but he enjoyed this very much. I don’t like red sauce so this was great! Very flavorful and I would definitely make again. And for the comment about overcooking the pasta, it doesn’t get over cooked at all- pasta was perfect!

• Erin October 4, 2016, 7:21 pm

Holy moley!!! What a fantastic dish!! Thank you, this is a keeper. Definetely making this one again and again.