Spinach and mushroom quinoa

I am now on INSTAGRAM <--- would love you to follow!

Spinach and mushroom quinoa sauteed in garlic and olive oil.

Spinach and mushroom quinoa, vegetarian recipes, healthy recipes, clean recipes, spinach recipes, mushroom recipes

I’ve made this delicious dish over this past weekend and it was so good, I can’t wait to share this simple recipe. Not only is it super tasty, this quinoa dish is healthy, low in carbs and calories, high in fiber, it’s gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan. Super easy to make and so much flavor with so few ingredients!

Spinach and mushroom quinoa

Spinach and mushroom quinoa

• 1 pound mushrooms (white or cremini), sliced thinly
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (omit butter for vegan version)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 5 green onions, chopped
  • 5 to 10 ounces fresh spinach (to taste)
  • 2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
  • salt

1. Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic and saute over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes until mushrooms get soft and acquire a nice, golden-brown color. Add chopped green onions and mix. Season with salt.
  2. Add fresh spinach to the skillet, reduce heat to low, cover the skillet with the lid and let mushrooms and spinach cook for about 1 minute or less, just until spinach begins to wilt. Add 2 cups of cooked quinoa to the skillet and cook on low heat for another minute until spinach wilts even more and quinoa warms up. Season with salt, if needed. Add another tablespoon of olive oil, if desired.

Follow my Gluten Free Savory Recipes board on Pinterest

• Susan June 16, 2014, 9:34 am

What a delicious side dish this would be. A wonderful combination of flavors and textures!

• Monique June 16, 2014, 9:51 am

I am making this tonight!
    Have everything..Thanks !

• Looks gorgeous, Julia, and perfect for the pre-swimsuit season!

ela h.

• consuelohoneyandfigs June 16, 2014, 11:11 am

What a lovely summer lunch! This salad looks so delicious and healthy!

• Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods June 16, 2014, 3:06 pm

I love quinoa and mixing it with all types of ingredients. I ‘ve yet to find one I didn’t like 😀 This salad looks delicious!

• Chris @ The Café Sucré Farine June 16, 2014, 3:30 pm

I think mushrooms and fresh spinach are a match made in heaven. This looks wonderful and I love that it’s so healthy too!

• Those mushrooms look so perfectly sauteed! What a wonderful healthy dish Julia!

• Ari @ Ari's Menu June 16, 2014, 7:48 pm

Loving this healthy side dish! So many of my favorite things!

• Ashley June 16, 2014, 8:43 pm

I love anything with spinach and mushrooms! This quinoa sounds delicious – great for lunches too!

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking June 16, 2014, 10:31 pm

This looks like the perfect easy side dish! I love the addition of the quinoa!

• Daniela June 17, 2014, 7:53 am

That’s a perfect summer dish.
    Healthy, light and full of flavor.
    Looking at the beautiful, bright colors brings me in the right mood for summer:)

• Monique June 17, 2014, 10:14 am

Keeper:) So good..thanks!

• Melissa June 17, 2014, 10:27 am

This looks delicious! I think my daughter would like it too. Looking forward to trying it.

• cheri July 1, 2014, 11:45 am

Love this combination, quinoa is one of my favorites. Just happened upon your site through La Table De Nana, very nice! Thanks!

• Efrain- RookstoCooks July 27, 2014, 9:19 pm

Looks great, sounds healthy and after looking at the pictures I can already taste it! I am a huge fan of quinoa; I cannot wait to make it~

• Michelle Nguyen September 8, 2014, 6:33 pm

Trying this recipe tonight! Is it only good for the same day it was made or will it warm up nicely for leftovers?

• Julia September 9, 2014, 2:25 pm

It warms up nicely, too! Can be kept refrigerated for 4-5 days.

• Nancy October 4, 2014, 6:54 pm

Making this dish tonight along with roasted cauliflower and a pork tenderloin. Perfect for a crisp autumn evening. Dropping into the low 40’s here in the heart of Dixie.

• Julia October 6, 2014, 3:13 pm

Yes, this quinoa dish will make a great side for a pork tenderloin! You’re right – this combination is perfect for the cold evenings.

• Mike October 10, 2014, 10:45 pm

Some freshly cracked pepper would make this perfect!

• Julia October 14, 2014, 10:27 pm

Yes, it would! Freshly cracked pepper makes everything better. 🙂

• Rebecca October 24, 2014, 1:18 am

This should not be listed “vegan” because of the butter 🙂

• Julia October 27, 2014, 3:13 pm

You are correct! 🙂 I just updated the recipe to omit butter if cooking vegan.

• Leslie W October 27, 2014, 2:07 am

I have yet to jump on the quinoa bandwagon but this looks so good I may have to take the leap!

• Julia October 27, 2014, 2:41 pm

I love quinoa. I use it instead of rice all the time. And, I would never eat rice with this dish – but with quinoa it’s amazing. The key with quinoa is to wash it well before cooking, and cook it until it’s really soft and fluffy – you might need to use more water and cook longer.

• Judee@ Gluten Free A-Z Blog November 6, 2014, 4:53 pm

My sister in law makes something like this recipe but she uses kale. It’s a nice light salad. I like the idea of using spinach! Great photos! I’m pinning it for another day. Thanks

• Julia November 11, 2014, 3:17 pm

Kales sounds so good in this dish! I got to try it! 🙂

• Marie-Perle December 9, 2014, 3:57 pm

This is soooooooo good! I’m a new vegan and this recipe is going to stick! Thanks a lot!

• Kat February 3, 2015, 3:16 pm

So this may seem like a crazy question. But are you cooking the quinoa before hand then adding to spinach/mushroom? Or are you adding in just at the end as is?

• jill February 23, 2015, 9:57 pm

Definitely cook the quinoa first

• maria February 21, 2015, 2:57 pm

do you know how many calories per serving this would be? thanks in advance!

• Paul March 2, 2016, 6:52 am

You can find a variety of calorie calculators on-line. calorie count.com has one under the new recipe tab that will not only give you calories, but generate for you a Nutrition Facts label like you would find on packaged foods. I ran this one through and come up with:
      – prepared as listed, including butter and both olive oil additions: ~ 450 cal per serving
      – prepared without either the butter or oil: ~ 360 cal per serving
      Each tablespoon of added fat (olive oil or butter) adds about 30 cal per and 3 grams of fat per serving. If preparing without oil, you could sauté the mushrooms in a little water or vegetable broth.

• Robyn Petrik April 2, 2015, 1:47 am

This sounds so delicious and simple. Love that it can be vegetarian and vegan, and you could add other veggies to it too.

• Deb M. May 19, 2015, 7:41 pm

Made this tonight as a side for roasted salmon and a Balsamic Browned Butter Asparagus. Loved it. The only change I made was to cook the quinoa in canned chicken stock; I couldn’t believe how much flavor that added to the quinoa, even without all these other wonderful ingredients. Thanks for the recipe!

• Jessie D. May 31, 2015, 2:27 pm

I’ve made this dish several times (found on pinterest), and I wanted to let you know how delicious it is! I make it and eat it for lunch all week. It’s light, healthy, but keeps me full in my constantly-on-the-go job. Thank you for such a great recipe!

• farah m. June 9, 2015, 12:18 pm

Just made this for my post work out lunch! I used red quinoa and added some red pepper flakes…amazing!

• Lauren June 30, 2015, 12:56 pm

Made this last night – so delicious, rich but also light! A perfect summer dish. Our farmers market has this great truffle salt that we added a little on top – mmmmmm perfect complement to the crimini mushrooms!

• Allison July 7, 2015, 12:06 pm

What does this count as if you are doing the 21 day fix?

• Sheila Salim July 17, 2015, 7:30 am

I liked this a lot – light, healthy and filling. I have IBS and I am always on the lookout for tasty things to eat with quinoa that I can digest easily.

• Bethany July 25, 2015, 9:48 pm

Made this tonight and it was seriously amazing! I had to force myself to stop eating it. Thanks for sharing!

• alison November 23, 2015, 5:29 pm

I just made this and it was AMAZING!!!! Thank you!!!

• Karen January 20, 2016, 1:33 am

Just wondering how much protein is in this dish per serving? Thanks

• Shelley July 27, 2016, 1:45 am

I made this for breakfast today. It’s awesome! Thank you for the wonderful recipes.

• Juliann August 1, 2016, 10:19 pm

This is the first time I have ever left a comment.This is a wonderful recipe but still simple.My nine year olds eats this.It’s now a definite standby when I need to make something everyone will eat but simple enough to prepare after a long day of work.

• Anastasia August 12, 2016, 5:33 am

What a gorgeous, healthy dish, Julia!

• Dawn September 12, 2016, 11:56 pm

I enjoyed it but would like it with more flavor such as another spice or herb. Anyone have any ideas? Texture is great.