Looking for a simple, delicious, and festive Holiday cookie recipe that does not involve a lot of time and effort but still looks like a true Christmas cookie? Try these perfectly shaped vanilla sugar cookies, decorated with colorful sprinkles:
Do you notice this really cute, rounded (not flat) shape of these cookies? It makes them very attractive, and the secret to achieving such rounded cookie top is to roll the cookie dough into 1-inch balls (then roll in sprinkles), freeze them for 30 min, then refrigerate for 30 min and only then do you bake the cookies.
As a result, your vanilla sugar cookies will have this nice rounded top:
Rolling the cookies generously in sprinkles creates a festive look without much effort. This is a perfect cookie recipe if you don’t have time to frost them or otherwise decorate them in a more sophisticated way.
I am usually very short on time so rolling these Christmas cookies in sprinkles works for me as a perfect way to dress them up!
I love this recipe and will definitely be making these vanilla sugar cookies again!
Vanilla sugar cookies with sprinkles
Preparation and baking time: 40 minutes
Adapted from Martha Stewart.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (sifted or aerated – see my notes below)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature (let the butter from refrigerator sit on the counter for about an hour or so), not melted but softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Makes about 40 cookies.
Important note about properly measuring flour using measuring cups:
The proper way to measure flour using measuring cups is to aerate it first. This is done either by sifting flour, or aerating it by fluffing it up and whisking it well, then spooning it into the measuring cup, then carefully removing any excess flour with a knife. If you just stick that measuring cup in the bag of flour and scoop some out, you will get a lot more flour than what the recipe calls for. Do aerate the flour, or you will end up with dry dough!
1) In a medium bowl, combine together flour and salt and mix.
2) In a separate bowl, using electric mixer, beat softened butter and granulated sugar until light in color and fluffy. Add an egg and vanilla – continue beating for a couple minutes. Turn off the electric mixer, add flour-salt mixture and then continue beating on low speed until well-combined but without over mixing.
3) Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Roll these cookie balls in sprinkles. Arrange on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Freeze until firm, for about 30 minutes.
4) Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes. Do not over-bake. Remove from the oven, and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.