Broiled salmon with mango salsa and rice

Salmon with mango salsa and rice

Right now, April-May, is the best time to buy fresh mangoes and pineapple – a self-imposed mission my husband has successfully accomplished for the past 3 weeks. I now always have a fresh pineapple (or two, or even three!) on my counter, and a couple of mangoes sitting in the refrigerator or ripening quietly in the pantry. Velvety fleshed and tasting like honey, mangoes are especially my current favorite! I only like to use them raw as mangoes seem to lose their flavor if cooked.

So, with the abundance of mangoes and pineapples at the market (and the abundance of salmon in my freezer), it was only a matter of time before I made a dinner combining broiled salmon with mango salsa.

Salmon with mango salsa and rice

This is one of the simplest (and most delicious) recipes you will ever make! If you scroll down, you might notice my lengthy cooking instructions but they are lengthy only because sometimes I can be quite verbose describing the simplest of things. Often, the simpler the recipe, the more I seem to talk about it.

This is also one of my most favorite ways to serve salmon. You just can’t go wrong by combining citrus-and-honey-infused broiled salmon with the salsa made from fresh tropical fruit! The flavors are so perfect and refreshing, it’s like you’re eating a salad! And yet this meal will keep you full and satiated thanks to salmon packed with high quality proteins and omega-3 oils! This is a truly well-rounded dish: very colorful, full of anti-oxidants, fiber, fruit (mangoes and pineapple), vegetables (tomatoes and onions), protein and healthy fats ! So tasty! And, doesn’t it make a nice presentation, thanks to all the colorful ingredients?

Broiled salmon with mango salsa and rice, seafood, fish

Broiled salmon with mango salsa and rice

Prep time: 1 hour

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients for mango salsa:

• 2 cups pineapple, chopped in small cubes
  • 1 cup mango, chopped in small cubes
  • 1 cup tomato, chopped in small cubes
  • 1/4 cup red onion, minced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped finely
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Ingredients for rice, salmon, and glaze:

• 2 cups uncooked rice or quinoa
  • 1.5 pounds salmon, or 4 6-ounce salmon fillets
  • salt and pepper
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce (use gluten free soy sauce for gluten free version)

1) Mix all chopped ingredients for mango salsa in a large bowl, add lime juice, add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to let the juices do their work.

2) Cook 2 cups of uncooked rice according to instructions for the type of rice (or even quinoa) you’re using.

3) To prepare the glaze: combine honey, lemon juice and soy sauce in a small pan on medium heat until honey is softened and well incorporated with other ingredients. Set aside.

4) Preheat broiler. Season the salmon on both sides with salt and pepper. Before broiling salmon in the oven, I like to sear it a little bit on the stove top: this will add nice color and will also allow to easily remove the skin. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil on high heat in a skillet until very hot. Add salmon, non-skin side down and sear on high heat for 2 minutes, constantly moving the salmon in the skillet so that it doesn’t stick. After it’s nicely seared, flip the salmon skin side down and continue searing for 2 more minutes on its skin side, constantly moving the salmon to avoid sticking to the skillet. After it’s nicely seared on the skin side, remove the skin easily with spatula.

5) Place the salmon in an oven-proof dish skin-less side up (with the side that used to have skin – down). Brush the top of salmon with half the amount of glaze prepared in step 3. Broil for about 3 minutes, brush with the remaining amount of glaze and broil for additional 2-3 minutes until nicely charred. Watch to make sure salmon does not burn because of the sugar in the honey. Remove from the broiler, cover with foil and let it sit for about 10 minutes before serving. This will allow salmon to cook through but not be overcooked.

6) To serve, place a scoop of rice (or quinoa) on one side of the dish and a scoop of mango salsa next to it. Top with salmon.

Salmon with mango salsa and rice | Healthy, Fish, seafood, low calorie, low carb, pineapple |

More salmon recipes:

MY BEST BOARDS ON PINTEREST:

I collect the most popular & repinned recipes on this PINTEREST board:
Follow my PUMPKIN board on Pinterest

It’s a PUMPKIN SEASON! Check out my PUMPKIN board on PINTEREST:
Follow my PUMPKIN board on Pinterest

If you love PASTA, see amazing recipes on my PASTA Board on PINTEREST:
Follow my PASTA board on Pinterest

• Melanie May 3, 2013, 11:26 pm

Drooling…that looks so amazing, colourful, and perfect for summer!

• Sawsan@chef in disguise May 4, 2013, 3:06 am

Hello Julia,

Thank you for stopping by my blog so that I can discover yours.
    Your pictures are making me hungry, I love the burst of color and refreshment from the mango salasa.
    P.S. I had to smile at the two or three pineapples, my husband gets carried away buying veggies and fruits too

• Angie@Angie's Recipes May 4, 2013, 5:44 am

o my…I want this too! The salmon is so succulent and beautiful.
    Could I just come over for the dinner?
    Have a wonderful weekend!

• Pooja @ MomsLtd May 4, 2013, 9:02 am

looks amazing and so delicious but I want to ask one thing after viewing your food photography
    May I know your photography kit. your pics looks amazing
    cheers

• Jean | DelightfulRepast.com May 4, 2013, 9:20 am

Such a pretty meal! And I love the way you did the salmon – lovely glaze, and I like taking the skin off, too.

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You May 4, 2013, 9:31 am

Julia: I absolutely love the salsa and the salmon looks gorgeous!!!!!!!

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen May 4, 2013, 9:39 am

You always have the best salmon dishes Julia! Love how fruit salsa tastes with Salmon.

• The Squishy Monster May 4, 2013, 11:09 am

I love how your photos always just POP! I feel like this is right before me to devour. =)

• Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes May 4, 2013, 11:35 am

I love the colors of this dish!! Looks like a really tasty meal. I bet that mango salsa would be good on lots of other things, too!

• Laura Dembowski May 4, 2013, 12:14 pm

I love salmon but have never tried it broiled. It looks wonderful all caramelized! I also love mangoes but find that a lot of them are bad when I cut into them – always a bummer. I hadn’t had pineapple in years, but a friend sent me the Harry and David fruit of the month club, so I received one last month. It was amazing!

• Katy @ Katy's Kitchen May 4, 2013, 12:54 pm

Mango salsa is so nice and fresh tasting, and I love the colours it adds to your dish. Summer is on the way!

• Gomo | cHow Divine May 4, 2013, 3:36 pm

Gorgeous dish Julia! Love love love broiled salmon w/ soy glaze. It’s probably one of my favorite things to eat. Your photos are making me want to eat it now! Definitely pinned! :)

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate May 4, 2013, 7:30 pm

This looks insanely delicious!

• Liz May 4, 2013, 10:34 pm

I think I will hint around to the hubby about making this for me on Mother’s Day! MY kind of food!!!! Beautiful salmon and salsa :)

• Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen May 5, 2013, 4:26 am

This looks SO delicious! Mango and salmon are two of my favourite foods, I’m really looking forward to trying this recipe!

• Maureen | Orgasmic Chef May 5, 2013, 6:09 am

I know I could live on mango alone :) The rest of that stuff looks pretty good too!

• Nancy /SpicieFoodie May 5, 2013, 12:12 pm

Julia your photos are gorgeous! I love salmon and mangos so this is a meal perfect for me. Thanks for sharing:)

• ATasteOfMadness May 5, 2013, 12:21 pm

I love salmon so much, but I can’t believe I have never made it before! This definitely looks like something I want to try!

• john@kitchenriffs May 5, 2013, 1:52 pm

I love this time of the year! Mangoes are one of my favorite fruits, and pineapples aren’t bad either! Lovely salsa – it must have been perfect with the salmon. Thanks so much.

• Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef May 5, 2013, 3:28 pm

mmm, mangos are my fave! this salsa looks divine.

• Medeja May 6, 2013, 5:40 am

I just love grilled salmon! This salsa is really nice side for it.