This bread pudding recipe is a favorite in my family. It is a little more sophisticated version of a regular bread pudding, and what makes it so is adding white chocolate to the bread pudding and Creme de Cacao liqueur to the cream sauce.
White chocolate bread pudding with cream sauce – made with whiskey and creme de cacao
9 by 3 inch deep cake pan
Prep time: 60 min
Bake time: 50 min
Bread pudding ingredients:
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 6 cups cubed French Bread (half of a loaf)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped white chocolate
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Cream sauce ingredients:
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/8 cup Whiskey
- 1/4 cup Creme de Cacao
Bread pudding instructions:
1) Pre-heat oven to 350.
2) Prepare bread – you can either cube bread by cutting a loaf with a knife, or do it like me – I just snapped small pieces of bread with my fingers, until I had 6 cups of cubed bread.
Beat eggs with a mixer for about 7-10 minutes, add sugar, milk and continue beating. Place cubed bread in a large pan and pour the milk mixture over cubed bread Mix milk mixture with bread until evenly incorporated.
3) Let the bread sit and soak for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, stir in white chocolate and raisins, and mix all ingredients well so that they are evenly distributed.
4) In the mean time, heat and melt butter in a small pan, add brown sugar, pecans and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes to coat pecans with butter and brown sugar.
5) Grease a pan. Pour bread mixture into the pan, the mixture will still have quite a lot of liquid, not all of it will be absorbed by bread – it’s normal.
6) Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top.
7) Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes or until nicely browned and golden crust forms on top. The pudding will raise to the top of the pan towards the end of the baking – it’s normal. Remove from oven, let it cool uncovered.
Cream sauce instructions:
8) Mix all ingredients in a small pan and bring them to boil, stirring well. Boil for 5 or 10 minutes until the mixture begins to foam and rise. At this point, remove from heat.
9) To serve, pour hot cream sauce over or around a piece of bread pudding.