I had a single old rack of lamb (only 8 skinny ribs in total) laying in my freezer for over a year. Each time I wanted to cook it, my husband would object: “let’s save it for the special occasion, when we have guests”. Whenever we had guests, I would look at that lonely rack of lamb in the freezer and would think, hmm, that doesn’t look like enough food for 6 people, unless we want to serve an average of one rib per person, which would make us look like one of those fine dining restaurants that serve a tiny portion of meat on a huge plate. So, I would close the freezer and skip the lamb. For some reason, this type of reasoning has continued for about a year.
Finally, on one sunny day when we were not expecting any guests, I was scanning the freezer for the meat to use and when I saw that over-year-old-lonely-single rack of lamb, I for some reason decided to grab it, defrost it and cook it that very night.
To my luck, the rack of lamb did not suffer any freezer burn and the end result was more than satisfying.
This is a simple recipe that does not require a lot of work, except to make sure that you don’t overcook the lamb. The lamb itself is so flavorful – that’s what makes the dish. I just added a couple of accents, such as pistachio crust and 3 simple side dishes (mashed potatoes, carrots, and asparagus).
My sister tends to call rack of lamb – the “lack of ramb”, not because it’s funny, but because she just mixes those letters in this word combination. Like an annoying music tune that won’t go away, I catch myself doing the same thing. So, since I was typing this post in the evening (not my best time of concentrated thought), I had to go back and correct a couple of lacks of ramb that I managed to type into this post.
Pistachio crusted rack of lamb
Prep time: 1 hr
Cook time: 1 hr 15 min
- 1 rack of lamb (8 ribs)
- Salt and pepper to generously season lamb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup pistachios (without shells)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large long carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- salt to taste
Makes 3 servings (or 2 servings if one of the two persons served is very hungry)
1) Preheat oven to 400 F.
2) Place pistachios, bread crumbs, salt and pepper into the food processor and process until really crumbly. Drizzle 1 table spoon of olive oil all over the bread and pistachio mixture and mix until well combined.
3) Season lamb with salt and pepper.
4) Warm a large skillet over high heat. When the skillet is hot , add olive oil enough to film the bottom of the pan (1 tbsp of oil, maybe a little bit more)
5) Add lamb to the skillet, cooking for about 3 minutes on each side to brown.
6) Transfer lamb to a medium size roasting pan, with the fatty side up like shown on this picture below. Spread mustard over the top portion of the rack (the fatty side). Then pat pistachio and bread crumb mixture over mustard coating on lamb. Press to make sure it adheres.
7) Roast lamb for about 20-25 minutes, medium-rare. If using thermometer, it should register 130 F. Transfer to a cutting board or a plate.
8) Cut the lamb into chops, 3 or 2 ribs each.
To cook carrots:
1) Slice each carrot into 4 pieces, lengthwise, so that you have thin long pieces of carrots.
2) Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet on high heat. Add the carrots, they should sizzle. Stir to coat with oil. Add a pinch of salt. Add a little bit of parsley and oregano.
3) Cook on high heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until carrots are nicely browned and get the “roasted” look – for 10-15 minutes. After that, remove from heat, cover with lid and let carrots stay covered for at least 10 minutes
To cook asparagus:
1) Bring medium size pan with water to boil. Add asparagus and cook for about 10 minutes until asparagus is somewhat soft but still crunchy.
2) Drain asparagus, pat dry. Add to the skillet with carrots. Stir to coat with oil. Add salt if necessary.
Use your favorite recipe for mashed potatoes or use mine (which I will be adding soon).
To serve, put 3 large spoonfuls of mashed potatoes in the center of the plate, top with lamb ribs. Add roasted carrots and asparagus at the base.
More main courses recipes:
- Baked Pork Tenderloin with Apples and Plums
- Chicken Piccata Recipe
- Garlic Shrimp and Sun-Dried Tomatoes with Pasta in Spicy Creamy Sauce
- One-Skillet Mac and Cheese with Sausage and Bell Peppers
- Creamy Chicken Alfredo Pasta with Bell Peppers, Asparagus, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Chicken Caesar Salad with Cannellini Beans and Avocado
- One Pot Alfredo Pasta with Bacon and Peas
- Pasta, Bell Peppers, and Asparagus in a Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
- Chili Pasta Skillet
- Lemon Ginger Chicken Thighs
- White Chicken Chili with Pinto Beans and Chickpeas
- Asian Beef, Broccoli, and Cabbage Stir-Fry
- Penne Pasta in Creamy Vodka Tomato Sauce with Mushrooms
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Pasta
- Mexican Pasta Bake with Black Beans and Sausage
- Black Bean and Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken and Bacon Pasta with Spinach and Tomatoes in Garlic Cream Sauce
- Italian Sausage Pasta with Vegetables
- Asian Sesame Chicken and Noodles
- Chicken Vegetable Soup with Pasta
- Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
- 25 Delicious Pasta Recipes
- Chicken Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Spinach in a Creamy Cauliflower Sauce
- Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- Pumpkin Quinoa Chili
- Pumpkin Chili with Beef and Black Beans
- Greek Yogurt Mashed Potatoes
- Chicken and Broccoli Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Enchilada Casserole
- Garlic Mushroom Pasta
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna
- Spicy Shrimp Pasta in Garlic Tomato Cream Sauce
- Shrimp, tomato, and spinach pasta in garlic butter sauce
- Chicken, Bean, and Spinach Soup
- Butternut Squash Chili with Beef and Beans
- Creamy Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta
- Roasted Eggplant with Spinach, Quinoa, and Feta
- Chicken Mozzarella Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Asian Beef with Mushrooms & Snow Peas
- Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Grilled Salmon and Parmesan Zucchini Pasta
- Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana Soup with Swiss Chard
- Zucchini Bacon Mac and Cheese
- Parmesan Zucchini & Spaghetti Squash with Pine Nuts
- Parmesan Zucchini & Garlic Pasta
- Asian pasta with broccoli and mushrooms
- Easy mushroom risotto (Gluten Free)
- Spicy Asian eggplant and quinoa
- Spinach and mushroom quinoa
- Mexican chicken wraps
- Crepes with creamy chicken and mushroom filling
- Chicken parmesan pasta in a garlic tomato sauce
- Chicken mushroom pasta with sun-dried tomatoes in a creamy garlic and basil sauce
- Asian chicken salad with noodles and peanut sauce
- Mashed potatoes with bacon
- Easy marinara sauce
- Asian chicken salad with ginger sesame dressing
- Baked chicken parmesan
- Chicken taco salad
- Asian noodle salad with peanut dressing
- Sun dried tomato and mushroom pasta in a garlic and basil sauce
- Bacon jalapeno popper macaroni and cheese
- Roasted cornish hen and vegetables
- Southwestern salsa with black beans, corn, and pineapple
- Hamburger with caramelized onions and grilled pineapple
- Pumpkin coconut soup with caramelized pecans
- Vegetarian pumpkin curry
- Pumpkin chili recipe
- Asian salmon with rice noodles and asparagus
- Easy paella with chicken, shrimp, and sausage
- Cabbage Stir-Fry with Mushrooms and Ham
- Healthy fettuccine alfredo with shrimp & mushrooms
- Shrimp with mango salsa and rice
- Quick pasta with portobello mushrooms and green bell peppers
- Asian fish and peanut sauce noodles
- Healthy fettuccine alfredo with cauliflower sauce and sweet peas
- White fish with salsa: black cod with tropical fruit
- Easy Fettuccine Alfredo
- Asian salmon and noodles
- Easy pasta carbonara – perfect weeknight dish
- Pumpkin ravioli with brown butter sauce and pecans
- Flank steak and Chimichurri sauce
- Garlic spicy shrimp and asparagus pasta
- Ravioli with goat cheese and spinach filling in parmesan cream sauce
- Easy chickpea and vegetable curry with quinoa
- Stuffed manicotti pasta shells recipe with ricotta cheese and spinach filling
- Beef chili recipe with black beans
- Spicy curry shrimp pasta: curried tomato sauce, snap peas and orzo
- Creamy mushroom pasta with caramelized onions and spinach
- Black cod with balsamic-shallot sauce and mashed potatoes
- Salmon fillet with Sake sauce and wild rice
- French roast rabbit with Italian sausage and mustard crust
- Lamb Shoulder Chops with Shiitake Mushrooms, Swiss Chard and Mascarpone Cheese Polenta
- Beet and goat cheese fettuccine pasta
- Lamb vegetable noodle stew, Lagman
- Filet mignon steak with mushroom red wine cream sauce
- Ravioli with spinach and ricotta cheese filling, in tomato cream sauce
- Slow cooker whole chicken with peaches, capers, rice
- Lobster pasta in a creamy sauce
- Thai red curry sauce with chicken, quinoa
Featured seasonal recipe (Halloween):
- Cinnamon apple pockets, puff pastry
- Easy spooky Halloween treats: chocolate bugs
- Halloween apple and pear mummy treats
- Nightmare harvest: Halloween pumpkin puff pastry pie (tart) with apple-cranberry stuffed crust, chocolate bugs, and cinnamon wizard hats