Spinach Artichoke Pasta with Chicken - it's just like spinach and artichoke dip but made as dinner!
This recipe is my take on a classic chicken alfredo, but with the addition of my favorite green ingredients: spinach and artichoke. Pretty much everyone loves spinach and artichoke dip, and this recipe is its pasta version.
Boneless, skinless, lean chicken breast works great in this very creamy spinach artichoke pasta recipe. And, the homemade alfredo sauce ensures that the chicken breast is juicy and moist as it is generously coated in a silky cheese sauce.
How to Make Spinach Artichoke Pasta:
Here is a quick snapshot of the recipe. Use 2 average size chicken breasts or 1 large chicken breast (it should be a total of 1.5 pounds of chicken). Slice each chicken breast horizontally to make it thinner. Cook each chicken breast half about 5 minutes on each side, until it's of nice golden color and completely cooked through. Slice it up! Make the creamy sauce by combining heavy cream and shredded Mozzarella cheese, then add thawed spinach and chopped up artichokes. Combine cooked pasta and cooked chicken in this creamy sauce, adjust the seasonings (salt and pepper) and your spinach artichoke pasta is ready!
How do you make this spinach artichoke pasta gluten free?
Easy! The homemade alfredo sauce in this recipe is already gluten free as it doesn't use any flour - only heavy cream, milk, and cheese. All you have to do is use gluten free pasta in place of regular pasta. I made this recipe with gluten free brown rice penne, and it worked great!
If you enjoyed this spinach artichoke pasta, you might also like these recipes:
Spinach Artichoke Pasta with Chicken
- 1.5 lb chicken breasts (1 or 2 large chicken breasts)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cup Mozzarella cheese , shredded (or Monterey Jack cheese)
- 14 oz artichoke hearts , drained and chopped
- 8 oz spinach (frozen and thawed completely and drained)
- ¼ teaspoon salt to taste
- Slice chicken breast in half horizontally (to make it thinner). Season the chicken generously with salt (½ teaspoon or more) and pepper on both sides.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil on medium-high heat (until hot but not smoking) and saute chicken breast for about 5 minutes on each side, until nicely browned. Remove the skillet from heat, cover with the lid, and let the chicken rest, off heat, covered, until chicken is no longer pink in the center and cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta al dente, drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, in the same skillet that you cooked chicken, add 1 cup of heavy cream until it boils. Immediately add the cheese and stir until melted and nice and creamy. Reduce heat to medium-low, and slowly, in small portions, add milk, constantly stirring, simmering, until nice and creamy consistency is reached.
- Add cooked pasta to the creamy sauce. Add drained and chopped artichoke hearts and spinach. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Top with sliced, cooked chicken.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.