Pumpkin Waffles – perfect Autumn breakfast. The waffles are made with buttermilk, brown sugar, pumpkin puree and spices: ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg. Great recipe to make for Thanksgiving breakfast.
Fall and Winter are perfect time to make these pumpkin buttermilk waffles! Imagine cozying up around the kitchen table with a cup of hot coffee or tea and, while it snows or rains outside, enjoying a slice of the cinnamon pumpkin waffle sprinkled with a real maple syrup:
It’s a pure comfort! If you love pumpkin, you’re going to love these freshly made pumpkin-buttermilk waffles.
These little breakfast treats are full of pumpkin flavor as they are stuffed to the brim with pumpkin puree: I made sure to use as much pumpkin as I could fit into this recipe proportion-wise: 1 cup of pumpkin puree per 1 cup of buttermilk + 1 cup of flour.
They are spiced up with all classic Fall flavors: cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. I am also using just the right amount of brown sugar: 1/4 cup – not overly sweet but sweet enough to make you feel like you’re eating a slice of pumpkin pie!
Top these waffles with REAL maple syrup, or just eat them plain with a cup of slightly sweetened tea or coffee. These are so delicious on their own, they don’t really need any topping.
Tips for making pumpkin waffles
- Pumpkin waffles are moister and denser than regular waffles, so they will need a little longer time to cook in a waffle maker.
- Also, make sure to heat your waffle maker really well and spray it with non-stick spray before pouring the pancake batter.
It is also comforting to know that these waffles have quite a few nutrients thanks to 1 cup of pumpkin! It’s a pretty healthy breakfast if you think about it: 1 cup of pumpkin puree , only 3 tablespoons of butter for 12 waffles. Definitely more nutritious than your regular waffles. Can’t wait to try making these with whole wheat flour. I bet they would come out just as good as these, if not better!
Other pumpkin breakfast recipes
- Pumpkin Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Banana Bread with Apples
- Pumpkin Pancakes with Cinnamon Apples
These pumpkin waffles are made with buttermilk, brown sugar, pumpkin puree and spices: ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg. Autumn breakfast recipe. Perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas breakfast menu.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter , melted
- Combine first 5 ingredients (dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg) in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the next 5 ingredients (buttermilk, pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, melted butter) and whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk to combine.
Preheat waffle iron until it’s very hot. When the waffle iron is very hot, spray it with non-stick spray. Pour just enough pumpkin waffle batter to cover the bottom, and cover with the top portion of waffle iron. Cook for a longer time than your usual regular waffles. Repeat.
Serve pumpkin waffles with real maple syrup or just eat them plain.