This Pumpkin Quinoa Chili is made with Black Beans and Chickpeas (garbanzo beans). It’s a yummy vegetarian version of regular chili. This recipe is vegan and gluten-free. This chili will keep you full and satisfied!
Vegan Quinoa Chili
- The pumpkin quinoa chili is meatless, vegetarian, naturally gluten-free, and healthy.
- Pumpkin is high in anti-oxidants.
- Black beans and garbanzo beans (chickpeas) are high in fiber.
- Quinoa is high in protein and a great substitution for meat in a chili!
I love making SAVORY recipes using pumpkin puree, without any sweetness or spices that are usually associated with pumpkin. Take a look at my pumpkin chili with black beans and garbanzo beans – it’s very similar to this recipe, but without the quinoa.
I just love how tasty this vegetarian recipe turned out to be! The quinoa chili only gets better the next day. It will last 1 week in the refrigerator. I also love to have this vegan and gluten-free dish for lunch! Just like most chilis, this one is quite easy to make once you have all the ingredients.
- Use mashed sweet potatoes, mashed yum potatoes, or pureed butternut squash in place of pumpkin.
- Use any other white beans, such as cannellini beans, in place of garbanzo beans.
How to cook quinoa
- Combine 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water in a large pan.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer. Simmer for about 20 minutes, until the quinoa absorbs the water.
How to make vegetarian quinoa chili
- Cook chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil for about 2 minutes on medium heat in a large pot or skillet. Cook until the onion is soft.
- Add pumpkin, canned tomatoes, water, and quinoa. Chop the tomatoes into smaller chunks. Cook on medium heat.
- Add drained black beans and drained garbanzo beans to the same pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cumin, 2 tablespoons of chili powder, and salt. Stir everything well, and season with more salt if needed.
- Bring to boil. Stir all the ingredients well together to combine flavors and spices.
- Reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes on simmer.
Other Vegetarian Recipes
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Enchilada Casserole
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Soup
This quinoa chili with pumpkin, black beans, and garbanzo beans is meatless, vegetarian, vegan, and naturally gluten-free. This healthy chili is high in antioxidants and fiber. Thanks to quinoa, the recipe is packed with protein.
- 1 cup quinoa , uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 cups tomatoes , from the can
- 2 cups pumpkin puree ,from the can or homemade
- 2 cups water
- 15 oz black beans , from the can, drained
- 15 oz garbanzo beans , from the can, drained
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ salt at least
- sour cream
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 4 green onions , chopped
Add 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water to a large pan.
Bring to boil. Reduce heat.
Simmer for about 15 minutes until the quinoa absorbs the water.
In a large pot or skillet, cook the chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil for about 2 minutes on medium heat until the onion is soft.
Add pumpkin, canned tomatoes (chop them up into smaller chunks), water, black beans (drained), garbanzo beans (drained), quinoa.
Add 1 tablespoon of cumin, 2 tablespoons of chili powder, and 1/2 and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Stir everything well, and season with more salt if needed.
Bring to boil.
Stir all the ingredients well together to combine flavors and spices. Reduce to simmer and cook pumpkin quinoa chili for 15 minutes on simmer.
- Serve in soup bowls, garnished with sour cream, shredded cheeses, and chopped green onion.