Southwestern breakfast crepes stuffed with Southwestern salsa: black beans, corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, cilantro, and topped with eggs!
A delicious way to have a light and skinny and yet filling breakfast is to make some thin crepes and fill them with homemade Southwestern salsa, and then top with an egg! You get a little bit of everything in this recipe: some carbs, protein, lots of fiber, vegetables. These breakfast crepes are low in fat and calories, and yet are very filling thanks to all the fiber and the eggs!
Fry the eggs only after the crepes and Southwestern salsa are ready to keep eggs fresh and warm. You can warm up the crepes and the salsa before final assembly and serving, or you can serve them at room temperature.
Southwestern breakfast crepes stuffed with Southwestern salsa: black beans, corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, cilantro, and topped with eggs! You'll love these vegetable stuffed crepes!
- 1 cup black beans , from the can, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow corn , from the can, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato , chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped in small cubes
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped in small cubes
- 1/4 cup cilantro , chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and pepper , to taste
In a large bowl, mix black beans, yellow corn, chopped tomato, chopped bell peppers. Add lime juice and salt and pepper to taste, mix well. Set aside to let the juices combine together.
- Grease a large skillet with cooking spray, and heat the skillet on medium heat until hot. Crack each egg and pour onto the hot skillet. Depending on the size of the skillet you may fry from 2 to 4 eggs at the same time. Do not overcrowd the skillet. Cook until the whites of the eggs solidify and the yolks remain medium-rare. Using a wide flat spatula, transfer eggs onto the plate. Note Make the eggs only right before you are ready to assemble the dish (that is, after you made crepes and the Southwestern salsa), so that they don't get cold.
- Place a crepe on a plate. Put some Southwestern salsa (you can warm it up or serve it at room temperature) on one half of the crepe. Top with a fried egg. Fold 3 sides of the crepe inwards to form a half-closed, half-open pocket as on the photos.
Note: the cooking time does not include time to make crepes. It is assumed that you already have pre-made crepes before starting this recipe.