Breakfast Egg Muffins with Bacon and Spinach

breakfast muffins, breakfast recipes, bacon and egg muffins, gluten free muffins, gluten free recipes

Breakfast Egg Muffins with Bacon and Spinach Recipe: These muffins make a great breakfast, lunch, or a snack to pack up for work, school, or a picnic!

bacon recipes, bacon and spinach for breakfast, breakfast muffins, breakfast recipes, gluten free muffins, gluten free recipes

I love that these muffins are very easy to make, and all the ingredients in them constitute, basically, a classic breakfast. These muffins have protein (eggs), meat (bacon), vegetables (spinach), and cheese. What not to like? These will keep you full for a long time!

bacon and egg cups, spinach and egg cups, spinach and egg muffins

They are also gluten free!

If you have a company staying at your house – these muffins are a great way to treat your guests to a fast, easy, and very delicious breakfast! Also, you can pack these muffins as breakfast, lunch, or snack to bring to work or school.

egg and bacon muffins, breakfast recipes, gluten free recipes

And, here are step-by-step photos.
In a large bowl, beat eggs until smooth. Add milk, salt, Cheddar cheese and mix:

mixing eggs and cheddar cheese

Stir in spinach:

Adding cooked spinach to eggs and cheddar cheese mixture for egg muffins

Add cooked bacon into the egg mixture. Bacon should be precooked, drained of all the fat and chopped:

adding cooked bacon to spinach, eggs, cheddar cheese for egg muffins

Use a regular 12-cup muffin pan. Spray the muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Ladle the egg mixture into greased muffin cups ¾ full.

breakfast recipes with eggs, breakfast recipes with bacon, egg muffins

Top with grated Parmesan cheese:

Parmesan cheese on top of egg muffins before baking them

Oven should be preheated to 350 degrees. Bake the muffins for 25 minutes, then let them cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pan.

Breakfast muffins with eggs, bacon recipes, gluten free muffins

Breakfast Egg Muffins with Bacon and Spinach

Yield: 12 muffins

Breakfast Egg Muffins with Bacon and Spinach

• 6 eggs
  • ¼ cup milk
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 cup spinach, cooked and drained (about 8 oz fresh spinach)
  • 6 bacon slices, cooked, drained of fat, and chopped
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a regular 12-cup muffin pan. Spray the muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until smooth. Add milk, salt, Cheddar cheese and mix. Stir spinach, cooked bacon into the egg mixture. Ladle the egg mixture into greased muffin cups ¾ full.
  3. Top each muffin cup with grated Parmesan cheese.
  4. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, let the muffins cool for 30 minutes before removing them from the pan.

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN’

• Monica February 21, 2015, 9:09 pm

I’ve wanted to do this for a long time! I love the idea of stocking some away in the freezer for a quick breakfast. One or two with some toast would make a lovely breakfast any morning. I’ve got to try. Great step by step pics!

• Joris October 15, 2015, 5:16 pm

Any chance you tried freezing them?
      I’m wondering if it is a viable option for my breakfast.

Right now I’m “stuck” with savoury oatmeal or some leftover rice.
      I really enjoy it but mixing it up would be nice

• Kate January 31, 2017, 4:07 pm

I make these on sunday and freeze them 2 to a bag. You can microwave them frozen,1 min 40 secs or pull them the night before…40 secs micro. Put a paper towel under to absorb grease.

• Julia February 1, 2017, 2:05 am

Great tips!

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking February 22, 2015, 7:26 pm

This is perfect for quick breakfasts on the go! I was just getting tired of my half pb and banana sandwich, so perfect timing! Pinned!

• Matt February 22, 2015, 8:22 pm

Yummmm

• They are great for any time!

• Shashi at RunninSrilankan February 23, 2015, 2:06 pm

I wish I had seen these this weekend – these sound fantastic – cheese and bacon all in one!

• Love the idea of this! And I’ll bet these really do fill you up. Terrific recipe — thanks.

• Dana March 1, 2015, 6:00 pm

these look delicious! Can they be refrigerated or frozen for a quick breakfast during the week?

• Sugar Apron March 20, 2015, 1:03 pm

That sounds amazing! I love making egg muffins, are they are great for a quick and healthy breakfast.Thank you for sharing this one!

• Erin April 28, 2015, 7:24 am

Just started to make these. Bacon is cooking and everything else is mixed together. Had not anticipated needing to cook the spinach. Is it that necessary if using fresh?

• Denise June 3, 2015, 7:56 pm

Do you think these would freeze well? I’d love to make a huge batch and freeze!

• Sheila March 29, 2016, 9:23 am

I freeze mine all the time. I make a very similar version (I also add sautéed mushrooms, onions and peppers and I substitute turkey sausage for the bacon). I roll a couple of them in aluminum foil and put in freezer bags this way I can just grab them from the freezer when I want a couple.

• Lynda July 10, 2015, 8:44 am

Made these this morning but used heavy whipping cream instead of milk, used bacon bits, I’m sure they be even better with the real thing, also added a little Mrs. dash, they are wonderful! Planning to make more more more!

• christina January 6, 2016, 12:41 pm

These look tasty. How many calories are in them?

• Ewa January 8, 2016, 4:09 pm

I’d like to do this in a casserole dish. Do you have any suggestions on baking time if I double the ingredients? Thanks

• Sylvia March 23, 2016, 6:07 pm

Can you freeze them ??

• Julia May 25, 2016, 6:52 pm

Yes, you can freeze them.

• Emily April 26, 2016, 9:08 am

These are great! I made some slight adjustments (couldn’t help myself), but mostly stuck with the recipe. (I doubled, used torn wheat bread at the bottom of each cup, added 4 eggs and some extra milk to the liquids, reduced salt by half and used really good local smoked bacon.) These have a LOT of cheese, which is delicious, but I may reduce slightly next time so they are not too rich. I also love the addition of the parmesan on top. I almost didn’t add it, but I’m so glad I did! Planning to make ahead again for my daughter’s birthday brunch party this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

• Julia May 25, 2016, 6:51 pm

Emily, so glad you loved the muffins! Your adjustments sound delicious!

• charlotte May 24, 2016, 8:56 pm

can this be made early

• Julia May 25, 2016, 6:49 pm

Yes, you can make these muffins and eat them for a whole week ahead – that’s what I usually do. Or you can make these on Friday and eat them over the weekend. Just make sure to keep them refrigerated.

• madge June 5, 2016, 2:09 pm

The advertising you’ve sold for your little blog takes forever to load the page. Then when I printed it out, the advertising decorated the recipe instead of the actual food picture. Tacky.

• Dee June 28, 2016, 8:09 pm

I have been looking for something for our weekend bible school. We usually have between 10 – 14 people. Should we reheat them in a conventional oven rather than a microwave. Can’t wait for a practice run. Dee

• Julia June 29, 2016, 12:53 pm

Hi Dee, I would rather reheat them in a conventional oven. Reheating in the microwave works too, though.

• Sandra July 20, 2016, 8:55 am

Thank you for sharing! My husband loves them 🙂

• Cindy July 27, 2016, 9:37 am

What is the nutrition information on these? I want to enter them I my daily food diary online.
    I just made my second batch. They are delicious!

• Fran Harrod August 14, 2016, 8:47 pm

Could you use egg substitute?

• Jennifer August 21, 2016, 10:56 am

Haven’t tried these yet, nor will/can I because the ad pop-ups on your site are incredibly annoying and make it impossible to scroll down the page. They keep forcing me to close windows or worse, send me to an entirely different site (Lion King tickets) without clicking anything. #fail

• Mindy August 30, 2016, 8:38 am

Do these have to be refrigerated all the time? Just thought for a lunch that sits for a few hours it might not work ?

• Georgia September 13, 2016, 10:20 pm

I’m baking these right now for my daughter n my Son n law..for Breakfast ” I can’t wait to taste em.will let u know how they turn out pics later

• Betsy October 17, 2016, 7:49 pm

I see mentioned in comments that you can freeze these. If you freeze them, how do you rehead? Mircrowave? how long? My husband had gastric surgery in May and I am having my procedure soon! we need breakfast options that provide a good source of protein and these sound great for quick grabs before work! I think our 1 year old will enjoy them also!

• Amelia Kennedy November 30, 2016, 8:35 am

If you leave out the milk, would it be necessary to add another egg? I’m cooking these for guests and one person does not have milk of any type.

• Julia December 17, 2016, 8:04 pm

Maybe use a milk substitute like almond milk? The reason I use milk in this recipe is to thin out the eggs so that the muffins are more on a fluffy side, and not so rubbery.

• Amelia Kennedy November 30, 2016, 8:47 am

Can you omit the milk from these? Would you have to add another egg if doing so do you think?

• Julia December 17, 2016, 8:03 pm

I would not omit milk – the muffins might come out too rubbery if you do.

• richard schmidt January 14, 2017, 9:35 am

im a vegetarian can i just omit the bacon? will they come out alright or must i add something else? i would like to make these for my Quaker meeting Sunday

• Julia January 31, 2017, 12:37 pm

You can just omit bacon and maybe add a little bit of extra salt.

• Carey January 27, 2017, 2:33 pm

I made these and they were very good! I used fresh spinach (honestly I didn’t read the recipe closely!) But they still turned out yummy! A great on the go breakfast for my husband. Thank you!

Carey