≑ Menu

Pumpkin Quinoa Chili

pumpkin chili, quinoa chili, easy chili

Delicious Pumpkin Quinoa Chili with Black Beans and Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) – a yummy vegetarian version of a regular chili – this recipe will keep you full and satisfied!

vegetarian chili, gluten free chili, gluten free dinner

I love making SAVORY recipes using pumpkin puree, without any sweetness or spices that are usually associated with pumpkin – and I love how tasty this dish turned out to be!

gluten free pumpkin chili, healthy chili recipe

MY OTHER VIDEOS

It’s vegetarian, naturally gluten free, and pretty healthy. Pumpkin is high in anti-oxidants, black beans are great for your digestive tract, both garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and black beans are high in fiber, quinoa is high in protein and a great substitution for meat in a chili!

vegetarian chili, gluten free soup, gluten free recipe

This recipe gets only better the next day and will last 1.5 weeks in the refrigerator.

gluten free food, gluten free dinner ideas

I love to take it as my lunch to work!

pumpkin recipes, quinoa recipes

Just like most chilis, this one is quite easy to make once you have all the ingredients. First, cook 1 cup of uncooked quinoa:

Cooking quinoa

In a large pot or skillet, cook the chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil for about 2 minutes on medium heat until onion is soft:

cooking onions for the chili

On medium heat, add pumpkin, canned tomatoes (chop them up into smaller chunks), water, and quinoa:

Adding pumpkin, tomatoes, quinoa

Mix in black beans (drained), garbanzo beans (drained). Add 1 tablespoon of cumin, 2 tablespoons of chili powder, and 1/2 and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stir everything well, and season with more salt if needed.

Mixing in black beans with quinoa and pumpkin

Bring to boil, make sure to stir all ingredients well together to combine flavors and spices. Reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes on simmer. That’s it! Enjoy!

Pumpkin Quinoa Chili

Pumpkin Quinoa Chili

• 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 cups canned tomatoes
  • 2 cup pumpkin puree (from the can or homemade)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 can black beans (15 oz, 425 g), drained
  • 1 can garbanzo beans (15 oz), drained
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • Β½ and ΒΌ teaspoons salt (at least)
  • Garnish:
  • sour cream
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 4 chopped green onions

1. Cook uncooked 1 cup quinoa to produce 2 cups or more of cooked quinoa. Set aside.
  2. In a large pot or skillet, cook the chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil for about 2 minutes on medium heat until onion is soft .
  3. Add pumpkin, canned tomatoes (chop them up into smaller chunks), water, black beans (drained), garbanzo beans (drained), quinoa. Add 1 tablespoon of cumin, 2 tablespoons of chili powder, and 1/2 and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stir everything well, and season with more salt if needed.
  4. Bring to boil, make sure to stir all ingredients well together to combine flavors and spices. Reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes on simmer.
  5. Serve in soup bowls, garnished with sour cream, shredded cheeses, and chopped green onion.

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN\’

• Matt January 8, 2015, 8:20 pm

Looks good!

• Holly | Beyond Kimchee January 9, 2015, 2:42 pm

Adding Quinoa is a great idea to chili. Such a great comfort food in the winter!

• Shashi at Runninsrilankan January 9, 2015, 2:54 pm

YUM! Julia I love using pumpkin puree in chili too and this looks so incredibly heart and mouthwatering!

• Jess January 10, 2015, 6:05 am

I Love black beans and pumpkin, I never thought to combine them!

• Ashley | The Recipe Rebel January 10, 2015, 9:42 am

The perfect hearty, healthy chili for January!

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen January 12, 2015, 9:01 pm

Beautiful chili recipe, Julia! It reminds me of a bulgar wheat chili recipe I used to make, but your quinoa version is such a healthier and protein-packed option! Plus, the addition of pumpkin in this savory dish? Divine! Thank you for sharing. I will definitely be making this one and I know it will become a favorite at our house. Gorgeous photography as usual, too, my friend. πŸ™‚ Your posts always inspire!

• [email protected] Riffs January 14, 2015, 11:38 am

I use sweet potatoes in chili all the time, and sometimes squash. But never tried pumpkin for some reason. I should. I will. πŸ˜‰ This looks terrific — thanks.

• Jeni January 14, 2015, 1:29 pm

This recipe looks so delicious and nutrient dense! Love it!

• Valya @ Valya' s Taste of Home January 14, 2015, 3:16 pm

Looks delicious Julia! πŸ™‚

• JULIE March 8, 2015, 3:21 am

HI, I TRIED YOUR RECIPIE AND IT WAS DELICIOUS! HOWEVER, I FOUND THAT I NEEDED TO ADD ABOUT 2 ADDITIONAL CUPS OF WATER TO MAINTAIN THE CONSISTANCY THAT SHOWS IN YOUR PHOTOS. OTHER THAN THAT, WE LOVED IT! πŸ™‚

• Jordan October 19, 2015, 9:36 am

If i made this in a crockpot, how long do you think I should cook it for?

• Brittany November 6, 2015, 3:01 pm

I’ve made this twice and I LOVE it. The only thing that I did different was cook my quinoa in vegetable broth instead of water (cooks exactly the same) and it gives it a richer flavor. Also, it doesn’t “taste like quinoa” as much so it’d be great for those who are on the fence about quinoa. Oh and I added a lot of sriracha at the table…Chili is best with some heat.
    Also, this make so much. Has anyone tried freezing it or know how well it would freeze?

• Candice May 7, 2016, 1:27 pm

Can’t wait to try this recipe! In South Africa we don’t get pumpkin puree in shops so I’ll do homemade. Which variety of pumpkin is best to use?

• Audittess November 5, 2016, 11:26 am

Thank you so much for this amazing recipe! A great new twist on chili and combining quinoa and pumpkin was brilliant. Friends and family really enjoyed the favors.

• Julia December 20, 2016, 5:49 pm

So glad to hear that I am not the only one who likes pumpkin + quinoa to make chili! Thank you for your comment!

• Carrie August 7, 2017, 3:47 pm

Do you know the calories in this dish? Or even the amount it makes so that I can figure it out? My family loves your other recipes so I’m looking forward to making this tonight!