How to make butternut squash puree

How to make Butternut Squash puree

Butternut squash is an amazing vegetable that can be used in so many ways: from soups and appetizers to main courses and desserts. Often, the recipe requires to use it in a pureed form, especially when we’re talking about soups and desserts, so here is a quick tutorial on how to make butternut squash puree. As you can guess, it’s not a very complicated tutorial but it can be quite useful if you’ve never made it before. You can also use the same process to make pumpkin puree.

How to make butternut squash puree from scratch, how to make pumpkin puree from scratch, Fall cooking

How to make butternut squash puree

Prep time: 20 min
Bake time: 30 min

MY OTHER VIDEOS

Ingredients:

• 1 Butternut Squash, medium size
  • vegetable oil or oil spray
  • salt and pepper

How to make butternut squash puree

1) First, we need to cook the squash to soften it. It is also easier to peel it once it’s cooked so we will cook it unpeeled, and peel it after it’s cooked and soft. Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit.

Butternut squash turnovers recipe

2) Cut the squash in 2 halves, scrape out the seeds and the fiber out of each half.

Butternut squash recipe
Butternut squash recipe

3) Spray the baking sheet with oil and place the squash on the baking sheet cut side down.

Butternut squash recipe

4) Bake for about 30 minutes, remove it from the oven and let it cool. Flip the squash so that cut side faces up – that will speed up the cooling.

Butternut squash recipe

5) Once squash is cooled, peel it. The skin will come off really easily.

cooked butternut squash puree

6) At this point, you have several options of what to do with butternut squash. You can:

– Use food processor or blender to finely mash it
– Use a large grater to grate it into very small chunks to get more texture
– Use potato masher to also get more texture

Place butternut squash in food processor (or blender), working in batches, if necessary, and process it until very smooth and almost creamy. Season with salt and pepper. You’re done! Now you can use the butternut squash puree in soups, desserts, filling – anyway you like it!

How to make butternut squash puree

How to make butternut squash puree

Alternatively, you can use a large grater (or a potato masher) to grate/mash the squash. This way, you will get more texture, if that’s what the recipe requires. Here is the recipe for butternut squash turnovers in puff pastry where this method will work better than just using the food processor or blender.

Butternut squash recipe

cooked butternut squash puree

Enjoy this wonderful vegetable!

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN\’

• [email protected]'s Recipes October 7, 2013, 7:14 am

This is my favourite winter squash. Sadly they ain’t the standard winter produce here.

• Monique October 7, 2013, 8:01 am

Great tutorial Julia:-)

• Ashley October 7, 2013, 8:03 am

Mmm I love butternut squash – I think I’ve bought one every single trip to the grocery store for the last few weeks!

• Denise [email protected] Brazil To You October 7, 2013, 8:27 am

Yum…I love butternut squash and its puree is not an exception. Sharing it…

• Melanie October 7, 2013, 9:20 am

I did this for the first time last week to make puree-d baby food (and used the rest in a smoothies, for me). I like the way you peel it after though, I just scooped and I think I missed a lot of the good stuff. Thanks for the steps!

• Ari @ Ari's Menu October 7, 2013, 9:40 am

LOVE butternut squash, and I use the puree in dishes all the time! Great tutorial Julia!

• Nancy/SpicieFoodie October 7, 2013, 11:55 am

Great post Julia! I make my own pumpkin and butternut squash puree every year. Homemade is way better than from a can. Thanks for sharing.

• Nami | Just One Cookbook October 7, 2013, 1:59 pm

Great step by step tutorial! Sometimes a great tutorial like this encourages many people to try something new if they haven’t done before. 🙂 I love the color of butternut squash and flavor!

• Liz October 7, 2013, 4:10 pm

What a great idea to have squash puree on hand for soup or pie! Thanks for the tutorial 🙂

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen October 7, 2013, 5:52 pm

Wonderful how-to post, Julia! Love all the step-by-step images. Thanks for sharing, my friend. Pinning!

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl October 7, 2013, 11:43 pm

I love puree to use in so many dishes, this how to is great – thanks!

• Alla October 8, 2013, 5:16 am

Oh good one! I usually fight with it trying to peel it before hand. Duh, this seems so much easier! and less violent! Looking forward to yummies you will make from this, especially desserts I have never made one with squash or pumpkin yet…

• Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com October 8, 2013, 10:20 am

I adore butternut squash! Awesome idea to puree it – easier and quicker to slurp up puree than chew the pieces 😉

• Anne ~ Uni Homemaker October 9, 2013, 12:49 am

Love the step-by-step tutorial Julia! And the photos are as always gorgeous!

• [email protected] October 9, 2013, 9:46 am

Wow, Julia, this is a very beautiful butternut squash puree! There are loads of them here in Buenos Aires and I’m trying to figure out what to do with them! The puree process looks simple, thank you for posting these helpful step by step photos! Sadly I don’t have any kitchen appliances here in this flat we rented, would a medium fork work? I like the idea of using the puree in puff pastries…yum!

• Melinda October 12, 2015, 11:01 am

How much puree does one average-sized butternut squash produce?

• Julia December 16, 2015, 8:04 pm

At what temperature should the squash be baked at in the oven?

• Tzivia July 1, 2016, 9:30 am

Mmmmm love butternut squash and really way cool tutorial Julia will definitely come back here again thanx darlin

• Mary September 6, 2016, 8:24 pm

I always have trouble with stringiness in the purée. Any s uggestions

• Sarah October 13, 2016, 5:11 pm

Thanks for this helpful tutorial! How long do you think the pureed squash would keep in the fridge? Do you think it would be ok to freeze it to extend its life?

• Katie Short January 4, 2017, 11:37 am

Butternut freezes pretty well in puree form. Just portion into freezer bags and lay flat to save room. If you’re freezing or storing for several days in the fridge, leave out the salt until you are using the squash – it can draw out moisture. Also, if you’re using frozen product in a baked item like pie, you may want to pour off any extra water that seeps out when the squash is thawed so as not to change the liquid Balance in your recipe.

• Julia January 31, 2017, 1:55 pm

Wow, great tips, Katie! Thank you!

• Katie Short January 4, 2017, 11:32 am

Thank you for this! A friend gave me some butternut from her garden, and in the winter months I treasure those rare and wonderful garden gifts. I’d been trying to figure out how to serve it all without my family getting sick of it, so I’m going to make the puree and freeze it for when I need it. Thanks again!

• Julia January 31, 2017, 1:57 pm

You are lucky to get butternut squash from your friend’s garden. Probably organic and very natural. 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂