Yes, I have a lot of fresh pineapple at my disposal right now. This is the second time this week I am making a recipe using pineapple – and I don’t mind it in the least! I love fresh pineapple!!! I could snack on plain pineapple all day long, but I also like to use it as an ingredient to enhance recipes, such as making this pineapple salsa with shrimp.
I love southwestern flavors and I love seafood – the two concepts I combine in this simple dish. The shrimp is coated in southwestern spices: cumin, oregano, chili powder, paprika, garlic, plus salt and pepper. It is cooked on the stove top on high heat for a short time – I don’t want to overcook the shrimp! It can also be grilled, but this is a weeknight dish for me, so I don’t have time for the grill.
The pineapple salsa is simply delicious! Fresh and bright in color, it’s full of anti-oxidants, fiber, and other nutrients. I have a hard time staying away from it, so usually very little of this salsa makes it to the actual dinner table, and I simply have to make a double batch. You might have to double the salsa recipe – it’s too addicting!
Placing shrimp spiced up in southwestern spices on top of pineapple salsa creates a pure delight! And it only takes about 30 minutes (maximum 40) to throw everything together! Perfect weeknight dish for seafood and shellfish lovers!
Southwestern shrimp with pineapple salsa
Prep time: 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients for pineapple salsa:
- 2 cups pineapple, chopped in small cubes
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup canned sweet yellow corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato, chopped in small cubes
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for shrimp:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 22 (count) peeled and deveined shrimp, with tails still attached, if you want
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1) Mix all chopped ingredients for pineapple salsa in a large bowl, add lime juice, add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to let the juices combine together.
2) Rinse the shrimp.
3) Mix salt, pepper, sage, paprika, oregano, cumin, and chili powder in a medium size bowl. Add shrimp to the bowl with spices and mix and toss to coat shrimp with spices.
4) Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan on high heat. Add shrimp, coated with spices, and cook about 3 minutes on each side, until shrimp becomes red in color on each side. Remove pan from heat.
5) To serve, place a large scoop of pineapple salsa on each plate and top with the desired amount of shrimp.
More shrimp recipes:
- Cilantro-Lime Honey Garlic Shrimp
- Easy Spicy Cajun Shrimp (with sauce)
- Garlic Shrimp Alfredo in a Creamy Four Cheese Pasta Sauce
- Garlic Shrimp and Sun-Dried Tomatoes with Pasta in Spicy Creamy Sauce
- Shrimp, tomato, and spinach pasta in garlic butter sauce
- Shrimp teriyaki over rice noodles
- Easy paella with chicken, shrimp, and sausage
- Pad Thai noodles with shrimp
- Healthy fettuccine alfredo with shrimp & mushrooms
- Shrimp with mango salsa and rice
- Garlic spicy shrimp and asparagus pasta
- Spicy curry shrimp pasta: curried tomato sauce, snap peas and orzo