Pumpkin ravioli with brown butter sauce and pecans
Pumpkin ravioli was the first recipe idea that came to my mind after I found an unopened can of organic pumpkin sitting in my pantry, leftover, forgotten and unused from this past Thanksgiving / Christmas season. I’ve already posted two ravioli recipes on this site, and both of them involved cheese and greens. I thought it would be a nice departure to make ravioli without any cheese in the filling – somewhat different from the norm. The use of the brown butter and toasted pecans as a ravioli sauce is also not as common as the white cream sauce or the red tomato based sauce that usually accompany ravioli.

Pumpkin ravioli with brown butter sauce and pecans

To make ravioli filling, I just used organic pumpkin puree straight from the can, with only a couple of spices added, and the filling was more runny than what I was used to. I used my ravioli mold again and was pleasantly surprised how well the mold worked (once again!) even with a more watery and runny ravioli filling, such as pumpkin puree. Thanks to the mold, I was able to make perfect shapes, and none of ravioli burst or opened up during boiling/cooking. It’s key, though, not to overfill the holes in the ravioli mold with too much pumpkin filling – put just enough filling so that it’s at the same level as the top of the mold.

Pumpkin ravioli with brown butter sauce and pecans

Brown butter with balsamic vinegar and a small amount of brown sugar not surprisingly turned out to be an amazing sauce for ravioli filled with pumpkin-nutmeg-brown-sugar filling, and toasted pecans scattered on top made this dish absolutely perfect. I beg you – please make this! It’s so good! I’ve had these ravioli as a stand-alone dinner entry, I’ve also had it with seared salmon, which was an amazing combination.

Now, if I only knew what to do with the 2nd unopened can of organic pumpkin still in my pantry….

Prep time: 1 hour 30 min

Adapted from Epicurious.

Makes 24 ravoili (2 molds)

Ingredients for ravioli dough from scratch (makes 12 ravioli using mold, so make 2 batches for 24 ravioli):

• 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Ingredients for pumpkin ravioli filling (makes 24 ravioli):

• 1/2 can pumpkin organic
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • salt and pepper

Ingredients for brown butter sauce:

• 1 stick butter
  • 2 and 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 and 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans

To make ravioli dough:

1) Mix flour with salt.

2) Stir water with egg until well mixed.

3) In a bowl, combine flour and egg-water mixture together and mix until well incorporated. Knead the dough until well-textured and firm. The dough should not be too wet or too sticky. It should only stick to itself, but not to your hands. It should not be too dry, either. Make the dough into a ball or disk, wrap with plastic wrap. Let the dough stand for 1 hour at room temperature before using. This allows gluten to work.

4) This amount of dough enough to make dough for 12 raviolis, using the mold (ravioli mold makes 12 ravioli). If you need to make 24 ravioli, make a second batch of this dough.

To make pumpkin ravioli filling and assemble:

1) If your pumpkin puree or mashed pumpkin is too watery, drain the pumpkin using a paper towel and a mesh strainer to get rid of any unnecessary liquid (thank you to one of my readers for the tip! :) ).

2) Mix pumpkin puree with brown sugar and nutmeg. Season filling with salt and pepper.

3) Unwrap a batch of ravioli dough from plastic, divide in 2 equal parts. Flour working area. Roll out each part of pasta dough very thinly, on a floured surface, using a roller. Make sure to flour the upper portion of pasta dough and the roller to avoid sticking. Lift the rolled dough several times during rolling to make sure it doesn’t stick to the counter, and flour working surface with more flour, if necessary.

4) Flour the ravioli mold. After you have rolled the 2 portions of dough very thinly, place first layer of dough on the ravioli mold, so that it covers all 12 holes.

5) Place a small portion of ravioli filling into each indentation, making sure not to overfill. The filling should be at the same level or lower as the flat part of the mold. Place second layer of pasta dough on top of filled ravioli.

6) Using a roller pin, roll across the mold and along the edges to separate ravioli. As you roll the pin, it also removes all air from ravioli, which is very important for ravioli success. By now you should have extra dough hanging off the outside 4 edges of ravioli mold – carefully separate it. Continue rolling the pin along the inside edges of 12 raviolis to separate them from one another: you could also use your fingers to press across the edges to separate ravioli.

7) Flip ravioli mold to release ravioli. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Boil ravioli for 5 minutes, drain and set aside – to be used with sauce below.

8) Or, alternatively, if you’re not using ravioli right away, place them on a plate or baking sheet in the freezer to freeze. After they are frozen, place them in a plastic bag and keep frozen until needed.

If you’re more of a visual person and would like photos that walk you through on how to use this ravioli mold, I have a very detailed tutorial-recipe with photos on how to make ravioli using this mold and another very detailed recipe, also with photos, describing how to use the same ravioli mold.

To make brown butter sauce:

1) Preheat oven to 350. Toast pecans for 10 minutes until slightly browned, let them cool off and then chop them finely.

2) Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until butter just begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Do not overcook or butter will burn. Remove from heat. Mix in balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Add ravioli to the hot butter sauce, spoon sauce over to coat ravioli. Transfer to plates. Sprinkle with pecans.

MY BEST BOARDS ON PINTEREST:

I collect the most popular & repinned recipes on this PINTEREST board:
Follow my PUMPKIN board on Pinterest

It’s a PUMPKIN SEASON! Check out my PUMPKIN board on PINTEREST:
Follow my PUMPKIN board on Pinterest

If you love PASTA, see amazing recipes on my PASTA Board on PINTEREST:
Follow my PASTA board on Pinterest

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You March 21, 2013, 5:59 am

Mmmmm! I love all the flavors in this gorgeous and very delish ravioli!!!!

• Monique March 21, 2013, 6:05 am

You make it look so easy..I love all your raviolis !I may get that little tool..looks way quicker and more precise that my cute stamps..

• Nik@ABrownTable March 21, 2013, 10:57 am

Homemade ravioli with that delicious sauce, how could one not resist!

• Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies March 21, 2013, 2:01 pm

Your ravioli looks so perfect! Love that brown butter sauce too. :)

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust March 21, 2013, 4:36 pm

Those look SO good. I love the sauce on top!

• Amy Tong March 21, 2013, 4:51 pm

These look wonderful and decadent. I love it cos they are not the usual cheesy filling. Great thing for a change and what a wonderful way to use up that can of pumpkin! Now, I want to go check my pantry to see if I have any “left”! ;) I love that you add pecans on top for some crunch. And the flavor combination is awesome.

• Liz March 21, 2013, 6:15 pm

I have a ravioli gizmo around here somewhere…and it would be worth digging it out to try your outstanding recipe. Drooling at the thought of these!!!

• Jean | Delightful Repast March 21, 2013, 6:50 pm

Julia, that looks fabulous! I like everything about it. I really must get that handy dandy ravioli mold.

• Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes March 21, 2013, 8:40 pm

This is so impressive and looks amazing! I’ve never made ravioli at home before but would love to give it a try!

• Suzanne perazzini March 21, 2013, 11:28 pm

This looks like a delicious dish and as soon as I have conquered gluten-free ravioli I will give it a try. I would use the other can to make pumpkin muffins or pumpkin tarts.

• Rosa March 22, 2013, 12:55 am

Beautiful ravioli and gorgeous flavors! This refined dish is fantastic.

Cheers,

Rosa

• Maureen | Orgasmic Chef March 22, 2013, 1:31 am

I love this dish. It’s one of my all-time faves. I put sage in the browned butter but everything else is the same. I also don’t work as hard as you do on the ravioli. two sheets, press together and I cut around them with a round cutter. call me lazy :)

• Barb March 22, 2013, 5:54 am

This looks mouth-wateringly beautiful!

• sally @ sallys baking addiction March 22, 2013, 7:58 am

This looks amazing. I mean, there are no words. Last night I thought I had the best ravioli ever from a restaurant – lobster ravioli, but THIS homemade pumpkin version looks even better. and the brown butter sauce? So good. I could easily eat an entire plate of this for lunch right now!

• Tash March 22, 2013, 8:21 am

Well, that looks delicious. I am always looking for new and interesting ways of using pumpkin and paired with the beurre noisette and pecans, it looks perfect! We in the UK don’t have a culinary heritage of using pumpkin and most people tend to think that the best use for one is carved at Halloween, but it seems that in restaurants and on food blogs, the gospel of pumpkin is being spoken! Delish ;)

• Jen March 22, 2013, 9:29 am

This looks delicious, I’ve never made ravioli myslef before even though it’s a family favourite. Looking forward to giving it a try and maybe getting the kids involved making the pasta.

• Laura Dembowski March 22, 2013, 12:49 pm

Those look perfect – like a beautiful restaurant dish! I would love to give this recipe a try. I’ve also always wanted to make my own pasta.

• Teresa September 26, 2013, 4:02 am

Thank you so much, finally a sauce recipe to go with my pumpkin ravioli that isn’t a cream sauce!
    I can’t wait to try it

• Julia October 3, 2013, 3:17 am

Teresa, this is an amazing recipe, if I may say so myself. :) Everything in this recipe goes so well together! Including the sauce! And I agree with you – I was looking for a recipe that used something different than cream-based sauce. Just be careful not to burn the butter. Browning the butter is actually a very popular cooking technique lately (used even in making cookies), it’s very easy to do but could be tricky the first time, so be careful not to over do it. :)

• Roma December 7, 2013, 7:53 pm

Do you think it would be possible to make the dough with sorghum flour? My daughter is allergic to flour, and rice flour, as well as gluten. I’m trying to find some recipes for her, and this looks incredible. Please advise.

• Kevin | keviniscooking July 12, 2014, 5:46 pm

Holy Smokes these look incredible, I’ve never seen this recipe and think it’ a wonderful idea. Browned butter with pecans over these wonderful pumpkin ravioli. I’ve just recently out of no where started enjoying pumpkin and sweet potatoes so this is a must try. Thanks!

• Miriam Keen October 11, 2014, 6:16 pm

Is it possible to make the ravioli using won ton wrappers? I am sure the homemade pasta would be much better.

• Julia October 14, 2014, 3:05 pm

I am sure it’s possible as I’ve seen it done on the internet. But it would be a whole different method that I haven’t tried yet.