I always had a special relationship with breakfast, especially on weekends. Weekend mornings are meant for special food-related treats, such as apple pancakes, French toast, or a flank steak and eggs over guacamole, as the case is with our today’s recipe. Put that flank steak, eggs and guacamole on top of fried tortilla, top with cheddar and mozzarella cheese – and what you have is an amazing breakfast/brunch that is surprisingly easy to make. Easy to make is a key thing for me on weekends. I am not the one who likes to slave over food preparation on Saturday mornings in the kitchen, no, I’d rather read a magazine or surf internet (for recipes, of course). I want something easy but also something unique and different than regular bacon and eggs and something that I could serve not only to my husband (who will eat anything) but also to a group friends should they spend a weekend with us. This flank steak and eggs recipe is a perfect dish for that.
I love flank steak. Not only is it an affordable cut of a high quality meat, it is also very easy to cook on stove top, and the resulting steak looks like it just came off the grill, while all you did is use a skillet indoors. Flank steak is a thin cut, so it’s easy to get this nice searing effect on both sides while attaining the perfect medium-rare in the center – all on the stove top.
This recipe serves 4 people, and each serving has 2 eggs, 1/4 pound flank steak, 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese on top of a tortilla. It’s a perfect portion (not too little and not too much) for a late Sunday breakfast or brunch, and you can easily multiply or reduce the ingredients based on the number of people served.
Breakfast flank steak and eggs with guacamole
Prep time: 30 min
Serves 4 people
Ingredients for flank steak:
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon curry
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb flank steak
Ingredients for eggs and assembly:
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 small corn tortillas (gluten free)
- guacamole made out of 2 avocados (you can make your own from scratch, or use guacamole mix in a packet, etc.)
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
To cook flank steak:
1) Mince garlic with knife, set aside. Combine spices together in a small bowl.
2) Pat steak dry, then rub spices all over. Sprinkle minced garlic on both sides of the steak.
3) Heat large skillet on high heat. Once the skillet gets hot, add olive oil until it sizzles. Then add flank steak to the skillet and sear on high heat 3-4 minutes on each side for medium-rare, making sure you have garlic searing underneath steak or around steak.
4) Transfer steak to a cutting board and let it rest 10 minutes. Cut steak across the grain into relatively thin slices. Set aside.
To prepare and assemble steak and over easy eggs:
1) Grease a large skillet (with Pam) and heat it on medium heat until hot. Crack each egg and pour onto the hot skillet. Depending on the size of the skillet you may fry from 2 to 4 eggs at the same time. Do not overcrowd the skillet. Cook until the whites of the eggs solidify and the yolks remain medium-rare. Using a wide flat spatula, transfer eggs onto the plate.
2) In a large skillet fry tortillas in 1 tablespoon olive oil on both sides, until each tortilla puffs up. Place 4 tortilla on 4 serving plates.
3) Divide guacamole into 4 equal parts and put on top of each tortilla.
4) Top guacamole with slices of flank steak. Then top steak slices on each plate with 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar and 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella. Finally, top each portion with 2 eggs cooked over easy. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top of eggs for taste and presentation.
More breakfast recipes:
- Blueberry Banana Bread (Gluten Free)
- How to make gluten free crepes
- Blueberry vanilla bread with lemon glaze
- Peanut butter Nutella crepes topped with strawberries in syrup
- Strawberry banana bread muffins
- Light and skinny Southwestern breakfast crepes
- Strawberry and Nutella crepes
- Lemon sugar dessert crepes
- Crepes with strawberries, bananas, and peanut butter
- Lemon blueberry bread
- Banana bread muffins
- Easy blueberry muffins
- Easy crepes with jam or fruit preserves
- Whole wheat banana bread muffins with apples and pecans
- Pumpkin pancakes with spiced apple topping
- Sweet cooked apples recipe
- Apple pumpkin bundt cake
- Pumpkin waffles
- Pumpkin pancakes with caramel pecan sauce
- Easy pumpkin pancakes
- Easy apple cake
- Pumpkin chocolate chip muffins
- Banana apple bread with caramel sauce and pecans
- Pumpkin banana muffins with apples and cinnamon
- Pumpkin banana bread with apples
- Apple banana muffins with pecans and dulce de leche drizzle
- Greek yogurt chocolate chip muffins
- Breakfast sandwich: scrambled eggs, asparagus, and goat cheese
- Greek yogurt muffins with Nutella
- Greek yogurt pancakes
- Berry tartlets with sweet and creamy kefir tart filling
- Dessert crepes with ricotta cheese, berries, and kiwi
- Mixed berry yogurt muffins
- Apple cinnamon crepes, or apple pie – in a crepe!
- Crepes with ricotta cheese and blueberries
- Strawberry banana bread with blueberries
- Banana bread with blueberries
- Stuffed sweet potatoes for breakfast – with sausage and eggs
- Banana bread with walnuts
- Apple cinnamon yogurt pancakes
- Bacon and egg tartlets with Gouda cheese and green onions
- Bacon and egg breakfast cups, baked, with spinach and cheese
- Baked egg cups with spinach, cheese, and grape tomatoes
- Breakfast tart with eggs, Gruyere cheese, leeks, thyme, and grape tomatoes
More flank steak recipes:
I am sharing this recipe as one of my favorite egg dishes for March 2013 with Shine Supper Club.