Creamy and Spicy Pasta Shells and Sausage - savory smoked sausage sautéed with bell peppers until nicely browned, then smothered in a creamy Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese sauce with pasta shells, spiced up by red pepper flakes!
Creamy sauce, pasta, and spicy sausage go great together.
It's an easy recipe, but it's very important to use the right kind of sausage. Use savory (NOT SWEET) smoked sausage without any sweetness added to it. Italian spicy smoked sausage is great too.
Spicy Sausage and Creamy Pasta Shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 7 oz smoked sausage , sliced
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese , shredded
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 8 oz pasta shells
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chopped bell peppers, sliced smoked sausage, and red pepper flakes and cook for several minutes, occasionally stirring, until the peppers soften, and the sausage starts to brown.
- Add half and half to the skillet and bring to boil. Add shredded Parmesan and shredded Mozzarella cheeses to the skillet, and keep stirring until the cheese starts to melt. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue stirring until all the cheese melts.
- In the mean time, cook pasta according to the package instructions, drain.
- Add cooked pasta to the skillet, stir everything in. Taste, add more salt and extra crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.