Whole chicken, peaches, capers and white wine are combined together and cooked for several hours in a slower cooker to produce an amazing mix of flavors!
This recipe uses slow cooker, which always minimizes the mess in the kitchen and for that, I love my slow cooker. This is one of the easiest recipes ever and also one of the best slow cooker whole chicken dishes I have had in my life.
What makes this slow cooker whole chicken recipe so special is that when chicken, peaches, capers and wine are combined together in a slower cooker for several hours, they produce some amazing mix of flavors. The resulting chicken is moist and tender, both white meat and dark meat are cooked evenly, and both chicken thighs and breasts are juicy. What more can you ask for in a chicken? The resulting flavor is both intricate and simple. Coupled with rice and presented on a big platter, this slow cooker whole chicken with peaches and capers belongs to be served at the French brasserie. And you would never guess how little effort went into preparing it. I love, love this recipe, and I have made it multiple times at home. My mother-in-law invented it, and I successfully added it to my cooking repertoire.
The beautiful thing about this recipe, I'll repeat, is that it doesn't make any mess because you use a slow cooker: you put all ingredients in at the same time, set the timer and wait until it's done. No mess in the kitchen.
To serve, place whole chicken on a large platter, surrounding with cooked peach and onion slices. Put rice on the side. Pour some chicken juice from the slow cooker around chicken. Slice fresh peach and garnish around the whole chicken.
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken with Peaches and Capers
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 peaches large
- 1 onion large
- ¼ cup capers
- 1 ½ cups white wine
- ground black pepper
- 1 peach small, for garnish (optional)
- Wash whole chicken thoroughly, remove any inside parts (neck, etc.)
- Place chicken in a slow cooker.
- Dice peaches in thick slices. Slice onion in the same way – into 8-10 large slices.
- Sprinkle diced peaches and sliced onions on top of the chicken and around the sides of it in a slow cooker.
- Pour white wine along the sides of the slow cooker, so that white wine just goes straight to the bottom.
- Generously sprinkle salt and pepper on top of the chicken and on top sides of sliced peaches, onions slices.
- Sprinkle capers on top of the chicken and sliced peaches.
- Close with the lid and set on “LOW” setting to cook for 7 hours. Or, set it to “HIGH” setting to cook for 3 hours. As the chicken is cooking, check your slow cooker occasionally. Depending on the size of your slow cooker, the chicken coupled with wine might produce too much liquid, in which case you occasionally pour that liquid away into a separate bowl and save it for later (to serve with chicken or use with other dishes as an "enhanced" chicken stock).
- When serving, garnish with sliced fresh peach (optional)
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
I used this recipe today, a windy winter's day in South- East Queensland, because I had a whole chicken defrosted and a bottle of salted capers to use. However, instead of peaches, I substituted large red apples and rinsed the salt off the capers. I used Jacob's Creek Sauvignon Blanc, cooked it for 5 hours on Low, then bumped it up to High for 1.5 hours.
The juice has a subtle flavour. I think a reduced sauce enriched with a chicken stock cube or some whisky or cognac might make this dish more memorable.
Thank you for posting!
Elizabeth, I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe! Love that you used red apples - that sounds delicious! Thank you for stopping by and sharing such a positive comment - I really appreciate it! 🙂
I made this using heritage chicken - small and tough unless slow cooked. We have bags of frozen peaches from our trees from several years ago I was going to feed to the poultry. 2 lb hen plus approx 2 pounds frozen peaches plus onion, salt, pepper, 2/3cup white wine and 1/4 of pickled nasturtium seeds (capers). Few shakes of ginger powder. Whole chicken and peaches froze solid in Instant Pot on medium slow cook. Falling off the bone done after 3 hours. Pulled the meat off bones and put it back, scooped out a cup of stock to drink (these are true free range chickens with very little fat). Added about a cup of pasta shells past the use by date and cooked on medium 30 minutes.
This is very nice recipe. I agree. Possibly the best slow cooker chicken recipe l have.. So simple and understated. The peaches, whine and capers all blended into a new taste with hints of each and tenderized the chicken. I Was tempted to add sweetener but do not. Making it again tomorrow. First recipe I ever reviewed.
Don, I am so glad you tried this recipe and enjoyed it! Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful and detailed review.