Whole chicken, peaches, capers and white wine are combined together and cooked for several hours in a slower cooker to produce an amazing mix of flavors!
This recipe uses slow cooker, which always minimizes the mess in the kitchen and for that, I love my slow cooker. This is one of the easiest recipes ever and also one of the best slow cooker whole chicken dishes I have had in my life.
What makes this slow cooker whole chicken recipe so special is that when chicken, peaches, capers and wine are combined together in a slower cooker for several hours, they produce some amazing mix of flavors. The resulting chicken is moist and tender, both white meat and dark meat are cooked evenly, and both chicken thighs and breasts are juicy. What more can you ask for in a chicken? The resulting flavor is both intricate and simple. Coupled with rice and presented on a big platter, this slow cooker whole chicken with peaches and capers belongs to be served at the French brasserie. And you would never guess how little effort went into preparing it. I love, love this recipe, and I have made it multiple times at home. My mother-in-law invented it, and I successfully added it to my cooking repertoire.
The beautiful thing about this recipe, I'll repeat, is that it doesn't make any mess because you use a slow cooker: you put all ingredients in at the same time, set the timer and wait until it's done. No mess in the kitchen.
To serve, place whole chicken on a large platter, surrounding with cooked peach and onion slices. Put rice on the side. Pour some chicken juice from the slow cooker around chicken. Slice fresh peach and garnish around the whole chicken.
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken with Peaches and Capers
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 peaches large
- 1 onion large
- ¼ cup capers
- 1 ½ cups white wine
- ground black pepper
- 1 peach small, for garnish (optional)
- Wash whole chicken thoroughly, remove any inside parts (neck, etc.)
- Place chicken in a slow cooker.
- Dice peaches in thick slices. Slice onion in the same way – into 8-10 large slices.
- Sprinkle diced peaches and sliced onions on top of the chicken and around the sides of it in a slow cooker.
- Pour white wine along the sides of the slow cooker, so that white wine just goes straight to the bottom.
- Generously sprinkle salt and pepper on top of the chicken and on top sides of sliced peaches, onions slices.
- Sprinkle capers on top of the chicken and sliced peaches.
- Close with the lid and set on “LOW” setting to cook for 7 hours. Or, set it to “HIGH” setting to cook for 3 hours. As the chicken is cooking, check your slow cooker occasionally. Depending on the size of your slow cooker, the chicken coupled with wine might produce too much liquid, in which case you occasionally pour that liquid away into a separate bowl and save it for later (to serve with chicken or use with other dishes as an "enhanced" chicken stock).
- When serving, garnish with sliced fresh peach (optional)
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.