What could be better on a cold wintery night than a warm, hearty chili? Such as this pumpkin chili with beef and black beans, topped with shredded Cheddar and Mozzarella cheeses (and, optionally, with sour cream). It's a deliciousness in a bowl!
Not only is this pumpkin chili with beef a perfect comfort food, the recipe is gluten free and uses good-for-you, whole food ingredients, such as pumpkin puree, black beans, and tomatoes!
It's very easy to make - I made this over the weekend, it took me all in all 1 hour, and then I packed it as lunch for work for a whole week. Double the recipe if you want more than 4 servings.
How to make pumpkin chili with beef and black beans
Get your ingredients ready.
First, cook the ground beef, chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil:
Then, add pumpkin, canned tomatoes (chop them up into smaller chunks), vegetable stock (or water), black beans (drained). Add spices and season with more salt if needed.
Bring everything to boil, making sure to stir all ingredients well together to combine flavors and spices. Reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes on simmer. Serve this pumpkin chili with beef and black beans in soup bowls, garnished with shredded cheeses, chopped green onion, and, optionally, sour cream.
Other pumpkin chili recipes
If you like pumpkin and chili flavors together, here are more recipes you might like:
- Pumpkin chili with black beans and garbanzo beans - healthy, delicious, vegetarian stew – perfect for those cold days in the Fall.
- Pumpkin quinoa chili - a yummy meatless and vegetarian version of a regular chili.
Pumpkin Chili with Beef and Black Beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion , chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 cup pumpkin puree , from the can or homemade
- 1 cup tomatoes , from the can
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- 15 oz black beans , from the can, drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt , at least
- ½ cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 4 green onions , chopped
- ¼ cup sour cream , optional
- In a large pot or skillet, heat olive oil, add the ground beef, chopped onion and minced garlic and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat until onion is soft and meat is no longer pink. Drain.
- Add pumpkin, canned tomatoes (chop them up into smaller chunks), vegetable stock (or water), black beans (drained). Add 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt, stir everything well, and season with more salt if needed.
- Bring to boil, make sure to stir all ingredients well together to combine flavors and spices. Reduce to simmer and cook pumpkin beef chili for 15 minutes on simmer.
- Serve pumpkin chili in soup bowls, garnished with shredded cheeses, chopped green onion, and, optionally, sour cream.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.