Rome is one of the most ancient, historically influential and beautiful cities in the world. Its history spans about 2800 years. Explore Rome through the 40 best images capturing major sights and landmarks: the Colosseum, the Pantheon, the Roman Forum, ancient Roman temples, the Palatine Hill, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, and many more!
According to Roman mythology, Rome was founded in 753 BC. Through the centuries, Rome was the capital of the Roman Kingdom, The Roman Republic, and the Roman Empire.
Best 40 Photos of Rome
Rome's rich history and artistic legacy make it one of the most influential cities in the world. Below I have collected the best 40 images of Rome featuring major sights, including the Colosseum, the Pantheon, the Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and many more.
Note: All these photos are taken by me during my trip to Rome, Italy.
1) The Colosseum is the largest amphitheater ever built and is one of Rome's most recognizable landmarks.
2) The Colosseum is located in the center of Rome, east of the Roman Forum.
3) The Colosseum was built in 70-80 AD.
4) The Colosseum used to hold an audience of about 60,000 people.
5) The amphitheater was used for gladiator fights and public shows.
6) The construction of the Colosseum began under the Roman Emperor Vespasian and was completed under the Roman Emperor Titus.
7) Pantheon is a former Roman Temple and a church since the 7th century.
8) The interior of Pantheon
9) The beautiful interior of Pantheon.
10) The Pantheon was a church since the 7th century.
11) The Temple of Venus and Roma
12) The Temple of Venus and Roma is dedicated to the goddesses Venus Felix and Roma Aeterna.
13) Spanish Steps
14) The Spanish Steps connect the Piazza Trinità dei Monti at the top with the Piazza di Spagna at the bottom.
15) The church of the Santissima Trinità dei Monti
16) Roman Forum contains the ruins of ancient government buildings.
17) During ancient times, The Roman Forum was a plaza used for public events, such as public speeches, gladiator matches, military processions, etc.
18) The Roman Forum was also the center of commerce and judicial affairs.
19) One of the most important functions of the Roman forum was the celebration of military processions during the times of the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire.
20) The Temple of Saturn is located in the Roman Forum.
21) The Temple of Saturn is an ancient Roman temple dedicated to the god Saturn.
22) The Temple of Castor and Pollux is located in the Roman Forum.
23) The Temple of Castor and Pollux is an ancient Roman temple built in 495 BC.
24) The Column of Phocas is located in the Roman Forum.
25) The Temple of Antoninus and Faustina is situated in the Roman Forum.
26) The Arch of Septimius Severus
27) Palace of Domitian on the Palatine Hill
28) The Palatine Stadium on The Palatine Hill
29) Water garden of the Domus Augustana on the Palatine Hill
30) The Church of Santi Luca e Martina
31) The Church of Santi Luca e Martina is located between the Roman Forum and The Forum of Caesar.
32) The Arch of Constantine is located between the Colosseum and the Palatine Hill.
33) The Arch of Constantine is a triumphal arch commemorating the victory of Constantine the Great over the Roman Emperor Maxentius in 312.
34) It is estimated that the Trajan's Market was constructed around 100 AD.
35) The Trajan's market is believed to be the world's oldest shopping mall.
36) Trajan's Forum
37) Trevi Fountain
38) Altare della Patria was built in the honor of Victor Emmanuel II, the first king of a unified Italy.
39) The Statue of Vittorio Emanuele II, Rome, Italy
40) Altare della Patria situated between the Piazza Venezia and the Capitoline Hill in Rome, Italy.