Mashed Potatoes with Bacon – buttery and silky potatoes with bacon bits. Great side dish for grilled meats. Gluten free recipe.
Have you ever met anyone who doesn’t like mashed potatoes? It’s my favorite side dish to go with grilled steak. It’s especially great with flank steak. This is the recipe I ALWAYS use for mashed potatoes, this time I just decided to add some bacon to dress it up – I was wowed by the combined flavor of creamy mashed potatoes and bacon. It’s gluten free, too!
Do you boil potatoes peeled or unpeeled?
I always make my mashed potatoes by boiling unpeeled potatoes and peeling them AFTER they are cooked. I always prefer this method vs. boiling peeled tomatoes, because I’ve never ever encountered a problem of “soupy” mashed potatoes using my method. By boiling the potatoes unpeeled, they remain pretty much whole and intact, which makes the process of draining them from all the water pretty easy and effective. If you boil peeled potatoes chunks (like most recipes suggest), potatoes tend to get much more watery and draining them could be challenging.
What’s better to use: cream or milk?
I love using half and half vs. milk because using half and half makes potatoes less grainy and more creamy than if you used milk.
If you don’t have half and half, to make 1 cup of half and half combine 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream.
How to make mashed potatoes
After you boiled the unpeeled potatoes, let them cool before peeling, or run them under cold water when they are still hot and peel them while running under cold water.
Mash them slightly in a large mixing bowl, using potato masher. Melt butter, add the butter to mashed potatoes and mash it in.
Then, heat up half & half until hot but not boiling and add gradually (not all amount at once). Add half and half gradually, constantly mashing, until you reach the desired consistency and texture.
Top mashed potatoes with chopped cooked bacon and chopped green onions!
Mashed potatoes with bacon - buttery and silky potatoes with bacon bits. Great side dish for grilled meats. Gluten free recipe.
- 2 lb potatoes , unpeeled, washed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon salt more to taste
- 8 strips bacon , cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- Place unpeeled potatoes in a large saucepan. Fill the saucepan with water to cover potatoes. Bring to boil and simmer for about 30 or more minutes until potatoes are done and can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes from water, let the cool and then peel. Or, alternatively, peel each hot potato under the cold running water.
- Place peeled potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Using a potato masher, mash them slightly. Then, melt butter and add it to the potatoes, continuing to mash. Heat up half and half on the stove top or in microwave until hot but not boiling - add to the mashed potatoes, continuing to mash. Do not add all half & half at once - start by adding 1/2 cup half and half, then add more if needed, to achieve the desired texture.
- Top mashed potatoes with chopped bacon and green onions. Or, mix those right in!