Chicken Parmesan Pasta with Garlic Tomato Basil Sauce - this recipe combines delicious Chicken Parmesan with linguine in marinara sauce.
Chicken Parmesan is one of the best ways to prepare chicken breasts. In this recipe the chicken breasts are juicy, flavorful, and crunchy, and are made even better with a delicious garlic tomato basil sauce and pasta.
Chicken Parmesan is a surprisingly easy dish to prepare. The recipe below includes homemade garlic tomato sauce with basil (marinara) but you can use your favorite ready made jar of tomato sauce if you're short on time.
You can also add some minced garlic to the tomato sauce if you like.
Chicken Parmesan Pasta with Garlic Tomato Basil Sauce
Baked Chicken Parmesan:
- 1.5 lb chicken breasts , skinless, boneless (4 chicken breasts)
- ¼ cup olive oil (1 tablespoon of oil for each breast)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs , such as Panko crumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese , finely shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese , shredded
- salt and pepper
Garlic Tomato Basil Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 5 cloves garlic , chopped
- 28 oz whole plum tomatoes , from the can
- 1 tablespoon basil
- ¼ cup red wine
- salt and pepper
- ½ pound linguine or fettuccine pasta
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese , finely grated
- ¼ cup green onions , finely chopped
How to make Baked Chicken Parmesan:
- Preheat oven to 425 Fahrenheit. Spray a baking dish or baking sheet with olive oil spray.
- Coat chicken breasts in olive oil. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, to your taste. Combine ½ cup bread crumbs and ¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese - Roll each chicken breast in this bread-cheese mixture. Combine minced garlic with the remaining shredded cheese and press this mixture on top of each cutlet, pressing lightly to adhere.
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish.
- Bake for about 20 or 30 minutes, until chicken bounces back when pressed, is no longer pink and juices run clear, and until cheese is melted.
How to cook Garlic Tomato Basil Sauce and Pasta:
- Heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion, garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and basil and wine and cook the sauce on medium-low heat, while it simmers covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Place the sauce in food processor and process until puree consistency.
- Return the sauce to the same pan, re-heat gently and add salt and pepper to taste.
- In the mean time, cook pasta according to the package instructions. Drain.
- Reserve about ⅓ cup of the sauce and set it aside (you'll use it to top the chicken) - keep it warm.
- Add pasta to the cooking pan with the remaining sauce - keep it warm while you prepare chicken.
- Place ¼th of pasta (mixed with tomato sauce) onto each of 4 plates. Top each plate with chicken breast.
- Spoon a little bit of the remaining tomato sauce over the top of each chicken breast.
- Garnish with finely grated Parmesan cheese and finely chopped green onions.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.